Supergirl Season 4, Episode 20: "Will The Real Miss Tessmacher Please Stand Up?" (SPOILERS)

flickchick85

Admin of Might
Staff member
Reaction score
Official description:

MISS TESSMACHER RETURNS WITH A VENGEANCE — Kara (Melissa Benoist) and Lena (Katie McGrath) head to Kaznia to hunt down Lex. However, Eve Tessmacher (guest star Andrea Brooks) sets a trap for the duo that could ultimately reveal that Kara is Supergirl. Meanwhile, Alex (Chyler Leigh) gets a long-awaited phone call, James (Mehcad Brooks) practices using his powers, and Ben Lockwood (Sam Witwer) takes a dangerous stand inside the DEO. Shannon Kohli directed the episode with story by Derek Simon and teleplay by Katie Rose Rogers & Natalie Abrams (#420). Original airdate 5/5/2019.

So James officially has powers. Joy. :dry:

Greaaaat.....maybe he realizes even with powers he will never be a super and Lena has to do something to save his life, but takes the powers away.......oh and he realizes his life is in Metropolis.

That sounds like a glorious pipe dream, Kelly. I am on board!

Alas, it is a mere dream.....for some reason the EPs love James.....sighs.

So is Eve actually going to feature much in this episode, or is it going to be like that other episode "All about Eve" where she barely played at all?

Well, that's probably as close as Kara will probably get to revealing her identity to Lena, who just had to turn around.

Ok teasing the damn reveal like that was even worse than dragging it out. WTF.

Well, as has become typical for Episode 20's of this show, this was a big ol' miss for me, and one of my least-favorites of the season. I could not care less about Alex's adoption plot or her pending romance with Kelly. And as I mentioned above, the way they teased the reveal with Lena was ridiculous and annoying as hell. By having Kara declare her intention to tell Lena as soon as this is all over, they could NOT have made it more obvious that the cat will be let out of the bag before she gets a chance to, and their whole relationship will go to ****.

And Kara was dumb as hell with the President at the end there. The President's Chief-of-Staff signs all the orders and you don't suspect even for a second that she was following orders from her boss?

giphy.gif

Especially when this President has been shady as hell to Kara from the get-go.

Only bits I really enjoyed here were the Kara/Lena team-up, Lena's straight-up James Bond-ian footwear choices, and George telling off his dad. Also, Melissa's acting whenever Kara's having an internal freak-out (like when right after she found "Linda's" room in this ep) remains awesome.

Thankfully, Episode 21's are usually big improvements over Episode 20's and next week looks like should be able to manage just that.

Last edited:
I like seeing Kara and Lena teaming up and Martian Manhunter, Brainiac 5, James, and Dreamer teaming up against Ben Lockwood. Not to mention Lena fighting Eve.

That tease of Kara trying to reveal to Lena ended up being a waste when Lena just had to turn around. This was the writers taunting viewers who wanted it to happen.

Supergirl shouldn’t be affected by the tasers as it also shows why none of the writers are comics fans.

Don’t care much for Alex’s adoption storyline.

An okay episode, but at least Supergirl is in it.

I was cracking up when Kara was doing that Supergirl pose when thinking of telling the truth to Lena. Like why?

And then of course what Lena said causes Kara to change her mind.

I was expecting Lockwood to go full on Davis Bloome and turn into Doomsday.

tumblr_o79kt0RZr71rjp0lfo2_250.gif
tumblr_o79kt0RZr71rjp0lfo1_250.gif

Lots of interesting developments in this episode, but wasn't a big fan. I don't like James having powers and I find the Alex adoption plot boring.

Next week should be a big step up.

Also, did Martian Manhunter look a little off to you guys?

Lots of interesting developments in this episode, but wasn't a big fan. I don't like James having powers and I find the Alex adoption plot boring.

Next week should be a big step up.

Also, did Martian Manhunter look a little off to you guys?
MM always looks off to me. That is why I hate it when he is in the suit....horrible CGI ALL THE TIME FOR HIM.

Supergirl shouldn’t be affected by the tasers as it also shows why none of the writers are comics fans.
I didn't have a problem with it. They established that enough electrical power is a problem for her. They specifically said Livewire was able to generate enough power to stop Kara's heart. Isn't Livewire a threat to the Supercousins in the comics. Those probes brought RD to her knees begging for "Alex", Kara stayed on her feet and seemed more annoyed than hurt. Can a human generate enough electrical power to really hurt a Kryptonian, no the only possible way I can think of would be a huge Tesla coil which would be uncontrollable. Sidenote I think it would be really cool if a villain of the week built a huge Tesla coil that Supergirl had to stop, a Tesla coil would be a really big problem for Brainy. I think she wanted to capture Eve but when the place was gonna blow she pushed the Eve's aside like nothing and flew away. Bottom line I'm ok with high amounts of electrical power slowing Supergirl down a bit and a naturally occurring lightning strike knocking her out of the sky.

I think those are far more than police grade tasers. They took down RD and if you really watch the fight scene...until the "all in" tasing they seemed nothing more than a nuisance, and the "all in" simply pissed her off. So I saw nothing in that fight as a powerdown, certainly not what we saw with Menagerie...

Did we need the Alex/Kelly scene as drawn out as it was? No....
I actually loved the three sidekicks getting their asses kicked, its about time. Loved the Kaznia stuff....so overall another 7 for me....far better than the sidekick Supergirl of the 1st half of the season most of those Eps. got a 5 or lower from me.. The finale is shaping up to be possibly the best of the 4 seasons.

Last edited:
And there you have it if Kelly of all people doesn't see it as a powerdown then ....

At this point it is just too much with Lena not knowing that Kara is Supergirl. How do you get in and out of plane that silently? Come on now.

I was good with this episode. Not too bad for the most part.

The airplane sequence was okay, though I would have rathered that Lena had been able to land the plane on her own. She's a capable person - and I don't see how Kara could have gotten out of the plane or back on without decompressing the interior - or at least letting lose a whirlwind in the cabin.

And Kara leaving her glasses half off...

Really liked Kara and Lena at the base, and Kara's reaction to seeing that room. Must've looked like a doppleganger was threatening to take over her life.

As to Kara revealing herself, I think it is well past time - but that it will be done in the wrong way. Such as Lena finding out on her own and lumping Supergirl in with all the others that Lena feels betrayed her. The problem with that is, those people who betrayed her did so by turning against Lena in all the ways that mattered. Using her trust, using her for their own ends, and abandoning her. All things that Supergirl has not done.

Yes, Supergirl has not told Lena her secret identity, but they have always been on the same side. Despite that rough patch, they have been friends for a long while and I would hope that Lena would take that into account - eventually.

I think the best way for Supergirl to go about it would be to lay it down as a challenge to Lena. Challenge Lena openly to find out Supergirl's secret identity, lay out her fears of what that might do to them as friends, but don't hide from it. Lena searching for it and finding it on her own with SG openly aware would probably be the best way for Lena to find it out.

But no, it will probably be a big surprise and work against them for the short term.

In regards to Alex and the adoption, I liked that part. It's been a while since they touched on that story line. Also okay with her and Kim now. I wasn't at first, but I'm liking Kim as a character.

I really liked Lockwood's son telling him off at the end too! Was partly fearing his mother's death would push him back into his father's camp. And MM showing up! Woot Woot!!

Kelly, not Kim....;)

I'm guessing Lena finds out in E22 and becomes next season's big bad. Snoozers.

If it ushers in Superwoman...then cool by me...

I hope not. Leave Lex and Lillion as the bad Luthors. Having a good Luthor had been a breath of fresh air. Plus I think having her turn bad at this point would just be too contrived.

Im guessing the President & co are not even the President & co. He was always a hard ass but not THAT hard ass & is likely a clone of some kind

I do hope they follow through with Kara telling Lena at the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"