Season 7, Episode 9: "Elseworlds, Part 2"

Discussion in 'Arrow' started by NotNickFury, Dec 7, 2018.

?

Rate the Episode

Poll closed Dec 17, 2018.
  1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 7

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. 8

6 vote(s)
    37.5%
  9. 9

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  10. 10

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. NotNickFury Registered

Part I would be the "Elseworlds" portion on The Flash.

2. Dr. From parts unknown

I’d say I was contrasting rather than comparing. Inasmuch as Batwoman had no particularly dramatic or emotional scenes, her gruff/monotone line delivery rather suits the persona of mysterious, masked vigilante.

My assessment: given the limited stuff she was required to do in this episode, Rose was fine. It’s a different question, however, whether she has the chops to flesh out the Batwoman/Kate Kane character and carry a series. :shrug:

3. Polux Just some nut

BTW, don't know if it has been mentioned, but I loved that Grant did the opening v.o. for Arrow; I was sure they were gonna do that for The Flash too, but alas...

4. 2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Would sort of ruin the reveal of Part I for anyone who haven't been seeing the promos.
    Grant Gustin's & the rest of The Flash's cast names came up on screen whilst the camera was panning to the bed

5. Polux Just some nut

True. That's why I understand why they didn't.

6. C. Lee Superherohype Administrator

Part 1 was on Sunday night's episode of FLASH.....it was titled Elseworlds Part 1.

AverageMan likes this.
  7. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

I haven’t watched part 2 yet. Do they play up Batwoman’s lesbianism very much?

I’m just curious because too often they are not subtle about it and it becomes the predominant aspect of the character on these shows.

8. Thome216 Registered

Batwoman was atop the Wayne building while they were on top of what I guess is the police station(?) And as Flickchic stated she was the only blonde with Oliver Queen/Arrow in all instances.

No, I though she was fine playing both halves of the character.

That's what I figured, that the stalk across the room to the suit was directorial more than anything. Most every other aspect of the character I was fine with, as that one sequence was the only time that I had any problem with Kane/Batwoman. And it wasn't even that major.

She actually had a great scene with Kara, when talking about Bruce and why he disappeared. Her delivery, about watching the city they grew up in decaying, and deciding not to break, was damn good. But that is my own opinion.

As for her Batwoman portrayal, I'm very happy with what we got from this. I wish she could have done more fighting moves, but this was about the Trio more than anything and merely her introduction. As to line delivery, she was forceful and not inclined to be too friendly to interlopers, esp competition such as the Arrow and an alien. I could imagine Batman saying the lines the same way, if with a bit more gruff, but not Bale-level of gruff, if you know what I mean..?

#158 Thome216, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  9. Thome216 Registered

I'm going to say no..? There is one moment where Kane appears to flirt a little with Kara, but that was it. And if that is the level with which it is 'thrown about,' then I'd be fine with it. Although, if this does go to series as I hope it will, there would be more, hopefully tastefully done.:cwink:

#159 Thome216, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  10. Babillygunn New Age Outlaw

Thanks. I know that my question was awkward. I found it quite stupid that last year they had Sarah and Alex hooking up as if all lesbians will just be attracted to the other lesbian in the room.

Flash525 and Thome216 like this.
  11. Thome216 Registered

No prob.

And..

Yes!! Just what I think about it. 'Look, we have two lezzies, let's have them bump lovelies!' I think Sarah could have played a better part being a platonic mentor to Alex, seeing as she has so much more 'experience' than our girl, in helping her get over her first real break up.

12. BH/HHH You Are My World

This wasn’t as good as part one but still really enjoyed it.

Loved the opening with Barry as the Green Arrow haha.

Batwoman was great, loved every second with her and her alter ego Kate Kane. The Batman references were awesome too.

I wanted more of Earth 90s Flash.

So John Diggle is John Stewart on Earth 90, that was cool.

That moment Black Suit Superman landed was so epic. 100% he’s John Deegan, especially after he said earlier something about how he wanted to end up as the Flash.

Thome216 likes this.
  13. Thome216 Registered

It took me a second watch to realize that switching Barry and Oliver was a mistake!

14. Boy Scout Registered

Wow. That clip was...bad. Really, really bad. I actually laughed.

WhoMani likes this.
  15. Erik20 Registered

I would also say they do play it up a little bit, I just knew they were going to make her flirt with Kara... It will be "annoying" if it's going to be like that every time Batwoman encounters an attractive woman...

It's one of my worries that her own show will focus too much on the character being a lesbian, I mean you don't see Barry and Oliver flirting with every girl they meet. Anyway, I'm not sold on the Batwoman show yet based on this performance. It didn't really leave me wanting more. I don't know, to me it felt like she was trying too hard.

I think I liked part one better, but I loved seeing the old Flash in action and black suit Superman!

16. BH/HHH You Are My World

Thing is if you go back and watch fist performances of most TV stars in their first appearance they often haven't found their footing with the character yet. So she can always improve.

SPO2 Dalisay likes this.
  17. DCMarv37 Registered

Funniest moment in the episode wasn't even intentionally humorous (I don't think);

Barry[wearingOliver] jumps Oliver[wearingBarry] for not having the Flash suit's cowl up because he needed to protect his identity.

lolwut?! Since when did this become a thing? Barry whips that cowl off faster than the speed force at every opportunity he gets back in CC on his own show!

18. Lencho01 Shazoogle! Shazoogle!

Didn't like the episode as much as the first one.

Overall, I thought it was ok. Only really problems I had with it was having Barry do the opening voiceover while Ollie didn't do that last one; Diggle being a GL on Earth 90 because I'm not a fan of how some fans wanted him to be a GL on Earth 1 (for different reasons); as I expected, Mr. Freeze's wife felt random; Olicity drama (they need therapy); felt that Earth 90 Barry was there for too short of a time.

19. Erik20 Registered

That's true, and she didn't have that much screen time after all.

I think my issue is more with the writers. I just hope they don't have to constantly remind us that she's gay. Like how they kept throwing in your face in the first season of Supergirl that "yeah she's a woman, and she's just as good/no even better than men." I love Supergirl, but that was a bit too much in that first season.

BH/HHH likes this.
  20. Thome216 Registered

Exactly. And IMHO she's starting from a very good place already. If the show is a Go, then we'll see how she shakes out with repetition, a consistent writing team and directors who know how to handle the character.

BH/HHH likes this.
  21. Primal Slayer Let the Siren scream

That is true that actors can grow into their roles but as far as these shows, none of the leads have had to grow, but by the time they shoot the pilot she'll have upped her game.

22. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Liked part 1 more, but this wasn't bad. Quite an enjoyable crossover so far. Am liking how Caitlin seems to be a bigger part this year.

23. Nathan Registered

It's definitely fun. But the moment I start to even think just a little bit about the plot, it all kind of breaks apart. ='D Like, why do Barry and Oliver remember their original lives, but nobody else does? First time it could have been a screw up, but once that Destiny guy realizes what his mistake was, why doesn't he wipe their memories the 2nd time he alters reality? The one person who should have either been unaffected or eventually come to realize what happened, should have been Cisco, every time he vibes. Kinda wish the cross-over would have focused on 90's Flash coming to Earth-1 seeking help, he eventually finds Cisco who then realizes reality has been altered and convinces the others, while 90's Barry tries to seek out the heroes he knew from his Earth and that's how they end up in Gotham.

But enough nitpicking. Hope we get some badass Superman vs Superman action in part 3 of the cross-over. :D

24. DCMarv37 Registered

I only had two personal nitpicks about this episode.

1 - Arrow's portion of the seasonal xover is all the Olicity, erm, "drama" I can take on the subject for a year. Talk about the continued abuse of deceased equines.

2 - If one was watching this complete CW-DC universe only for the xovers; other than getting a name drop, I wouldn't know Laurel Lance was ever a character in the Arrowverse. Other than the 2nd episode of two-parter a few years ago that 'officially' launched LoT, between a combination of episodes between Arrow & Flash, KC has never made an appearance in any of these crossover events.

[I don't officially count the stuff in Arrow's 100th episode, as the middle part of the Invasion! xover because her presence there was just to celebrate that show's landmark series point and 'she' was just a mental projection caused by the alien's tech]

25. Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I thought Ruby Rose was really bad in the role. Completely wooden with no personality. She has no charisma at all and doesn't seem like she could really carry a series on her own.

She seems more like some MMA fighter trying to act or star in something. Yes, I get that she's meant to be brooding, but so is Batman. And yet the actors who've played Bruce Wayne/ Batman on film haven't come across as wooden and devoid of charisma when they're on screen. Saying she's brooding seems more like an excuse to overlook her poor acting skills and lack of personality.

I hope that's not all we saw of 90s Flash. I thought he'd take part in the fight. They didn't seem to use Supergirl much. Were they lacking the budget?

The Flash/ Arrow fight seems like a rip-off of the Superman/ Wonder Woman fight in the Justice League cartoon where they're both affected by a hallucinogen and see each other as a monster.