Seasons Come, Seasons Go - Discussion Continues

Gilly aint really handlin his swag right.

You dont say your gonna go out and win the ASG MVP and then the best thing you do is jump off trampolines in between timeouts. Plus injuring yourself before the playoffs and bricking 2 free throws after LeBron (who aint always clutch himself) tells you not to choke is always a hit on the swagometer.

As a Smallville fan, I started really watching the show towards the end of Season 3 and have been a fan ever since. So... I've just started watching from Season 1 after months of meaning to get hold of it. I've gotta say that some of the early episodes are damn cool. I love how you first really start to see some dark turns from Lex in Episode 4: X-Ray. Also it's cool to see CK develop his x-ray vision and almost having to use some detecitve skills, ala a certain Dark Knight.

I'm now half-way through the season with Season 2 sat in front of me to watch once I'm done. I don't really know what the point of this thread is :rolleyes: but I just wondered if anyone else is a fan of the earlier episodes where it kinda fashions out the simple elements of Clark's life and development.

I loved the earlier episodes. Everything was so fresh and innocent. Clark and Lex were best friends and Clark's main problem was trying to get with Lana while Lex was helping him out. I also loved the arguments between lex and Lionel. They would always quote greek mythology or something or use it as an analogy. Then there were several references to the future. One of my favorite episodes was Hourglass. Damn, I miss season 1 a lot.

One of my favorite episodes of the first season is "Cool", where Chloe gets under the icy radar of classmate Sean Kelvin, who's become a sub-zero meteor freak. Other faves from the first season include "Crush" (featuring Adam Brody as a psychotic artist) and "Zero" (which introduces the character of Sam Phelan, and expands both Lionel and Lex's roles).

As for season 2, I think "Rosetta" is definitely a perennial fan favorite, due to Christopher Reeve's first appearance as Virgil Swann. Another personal fave of mine is "Insurgence", which tells of Martha's corporate past a bit, and includes Clark's first super-jump. Jonathan Taylor Thomas makes his first of two appearances as Ian Randall in "Dichotic", a role he'd reprise in Season 3's "Asylum".

Yeah I'm looking forward to getting to Season 2. From all accounts, it sounds like one of the better seasons. I think so far out of Season 1 that X-Ray is definitely my favourite episode. As mentioned above, everything seems so fresh, clean and simple in Season 1. The main angst for CK seems to be Lana and Whitney and that's it. No worrying about crystals, symbols, Jor-El, Braniac, Lex/Lana, the death of Jonathan or the turn of Lex. I think that the episodes I've seen so far have been expertly written as it's just the tales of an every day high school kid who has every day high school kid problems. Added in are the meteor freaks and cool powers.

I love the early seasons where we are just getting to know these characters. I especially love getting to know Clark's parents and seeing the influence they have on him. We get to see them play an active role in shaping his values and sense of self. They are honest, hardworking, caring, giving, protective, and supportive. That family dynamic is a large part of the early seasons. It is particularly interesting and sad to see that dynamic shown in contrast to the tragic parenting that Lex receives.

The one thing I remember most from the first season is in the pilot. Clark is just abused by Whitney and the other football players. Yet, when he is back to himself. I wanted him to kick their arse's. I know its not Superman like...But, it would have been cool. Although, he did park their cars for them. ;)

One of my favorite episodes of the first season is "Cool", where Chloe gets under the icy radar of classmate Sean Kelvin, who's become a sub-zero meteor freak. Other faves from the first season include "Crush" (featuring Adam Brody as a psychotic artist) and "Zero" (which introduces the character of Sam Phelan, and expands both Lionel and Lex's roles).

Wow, you liked Cool? I could barely bring myself to watch it the last time I re watched the series. It's about as good as "Hothead" and Just a bit better than "Drone" :dry:...

... imo.

I loved the earlier episodes. Everything was so fresh and innocent. Clark and Lex were best friends and Clark's main problem was trying to get with Lana while Lex was helping him out. I also loved the arguments between lex and Lionel. They would always quote greek mythology or something or use it as an analogy. Then there were several references to the future. One of my favorite episodes was Hourglass. Damn, I miss season 1 a lot.

^ This is why I loved both Seasons 1 & 2. Sure the episodes became repetitive and started the whole FOTW (Freak of the Week) term, but it was fun seeing Clark grow. I miss that excitement when he first developed a new power.

I thought Cool was so so, not awful but not as good as some of the episodes. One thing that I have just realised is that having come to the series towards the end of Season 3 that I basically missed out on Pete Ross. Now well into Season 1 I am really starting to dig the character and the dynamic between him, Chloe and Clark.

I thought Cool was so so, not awful but not as good as some of the episodes. One thing that I have just realised is that having come to the series towards the end of Season 3 that I basically missed out on Pete Ross. Now well into Season 1 I am really starting to dig the character and the dynamic between him, Chloe and Clark.

I miss Pete :csad:

I've just finished watching Jitters with Tony Todd and loved that episode. It paints Lex's good side, as do a lot of early episodes, then also shows the flip side of his and Clark's relationships with their families at the end. It was cool to show how the Kent's gave Clark a lot of love and attention when he escaped from Luthercorp, whereas Lionel was nonchelent with Lex and the 2 bickered. I thought that was very well portrayed, and always cool, as a big horror geek, to see Tony Todd popping up.

When I started watching SV it was on DVD and I started with Season 1 going thru 5. I rewatched the whole series (well, minus Reckoning and Vengeance, cause they make me cry... and Hypnotic is too painful... and I skipped the Lana/Lex stuff too) during the summer break and those early years were so refreshing.

I think Seasons 1-3 may be my favorites... everyone was so young, Clark was discovering his powers, where he was from (loved Rosetta), and Martha and Jonathan were a big part of his life. (I really miss them. :csad: )

I don't miss him either.

:O

He was a drag toward the end of the 3rd season. It was probably time he went...

Yeah he did drag towards the end I think the writer's just did'nt know what to do with him.
I liked him in the first 2 season's and miss Clark having a guy friend to interact with.

Clark's relationship with Lex was so strong in those first 3 seasons that Pete just felt like a two's company, three's a crowd.

Al & Miles wanted to bring Pete back for Season 4's "Spirit" episode, so he could be Chloe's date at the Prom. unfortunately, Sam Jones III wasn't available.

Just picked up on a great little quote from Lex at the end of Hug...

"Trust me Clark, our friendship will be the stuff of legend"

The early seasons were definitely great. My story of finding Smallville is kinda funny in that I didn't even make the Superman connection at first. I didn't hear about the show until I saw it first air and when I saw the title, I guess I kinda thought of it as a show about a small town series. That is, of course, until things all started coming in together about the time baby Kal-El stepped onto the screen.

The series in the beginning had a great sense of discovery. Something I feel the show has kinda lost. The days ahead seem to be more defined and less surprising than the days of early on.

I suppose a lot of it being more defined now and more about discovery in the past is because that is just what it is. At the beginning we didn't know what to expect because it was a new show and so didn't know how they were going to handle things, plus we weren't even sure where they were going to go with Clark's powers. Whereas now, we know what powers he has already and now know which few that he has left to discover, so there's less a sense of surprise when those powers come to be. Such as, even though it has been said no flying, it is pretty obvious that the introduction of Kara means that CK will fly pretty soon.

I know what I meant, but reading through that post I think I lost my point. I have a tendancy to do that quite often...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"