SEGA and Nintendo's war in the 90's is being made into feature film

CJ

Sidekick
Reaction score
Console wars going right to the silver screen

If you had to choose one historical event of the gaming history to be turned into a book and a movie, you will probably choose the raging console wars between Sega and Nintendo that in the 80′s and 90′s made the industry grow in incredible ways and that gave us so many great games, an exhaustive race to overgrow their rival.

Blake Harris surely did think it, and so he wrote a book called “Console Wars: Sega, Nintendo and the battle that defined a generation“, who will be released at Americans bookstores this may, and next August in UK.
But not only that, Sony Pictures and Scott Rudin, of The Social Network and Moneyball fame, are on the works to bring the book into a movie, directed by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg.

http://www.tssznews.com/2014/02/21/...storical-war-to-be-made-into-a-book-and-film/

As a SEGA fan, I don't know if I like this. I don't want the movie to have a pro-Nintendo/anti-Sega slant to it.. I don't want the end of the film to feel like Sega's the bad guy who Nintendo triumphs over or something like that..

Directed by Seth Rogen, not something to take seriously, but it is potentially fun
I understand your concern, and agree with it

I'd watch it.

Time magazine did a a brief video series on the evolution of consoles and I found it pretty interesting and fun.

and in 20 years we will have a sequel about Sony & Microsoft console wars

Sega wasn't the bad guy?

I'm a biased SEGA fanboy, but IMO, Nintendo is the big greedy corporation who dominates the industry. They wiped out their competitors like Atari.

SEGA, a struggling game manufacturer, is on the verge of going out of business, so in order to compete with Nintendo's Goliath, they bet all their chips on a new mascot, Sonic. And the war begins.

IMO, SEGA's the underdogs, going up against the big guy.

and in 20 years we will have a sequel about Sony & Microsoft console wars

Yeah, but they were already huge faceless corporations who had their hands in movies, computers and electronics, so it won't be as interesting as two companies who specialize only in videogames.

I'm a biased SEGA fanboy, but IMO, Nintendo is the big greedy corporation who dominates the industry. They wiped out their competitors like Atari.
Why is success greedy? Nintendo was a pioneer in the games industry, their massive influence was a result of critical acclaim and innovation in the medium. You could make the argument that they got greedy in the N64/Gamecube era, but not in the period we are discussing.

Atari wiped itself out with bad hardware and fallout from the 1983 video game crash.

I owned both a Genesis (or Mega Drive as it was called in the UK) and a Super Nintendo, by the way.

What war? Sega never really competed.

And they were crushed. I loved my Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast especially, but they were never in the same league.

I want to see this happen, I started out as a Nintendo kid but then went to Sega genesis, after that I would usually get both new consoles from each company, this sounds like an awesome film.

I never was a "fanboy" of either company, that being said I did own a Genesis back in the day. I do like Nintendo's colorful cast of characters more than Sega's.

I'm overflowed with nostalgia reading this thread.

I'm thinking about Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat, Lunar, Sonic, Super Mario Bros, Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy ...

I wish the 1990s and my teenage years had lasted longer.

Who will play Shigeru Miyamoto? I vote Jackie Chan.

I wouldn't be too dismissive of SEGA. They did sell 40 million Genesis systems to Nintendo's 49 million SNESs. That's some pretty damn fierce competition.

Compare that to say Sony decimating Nintendo in the next generation sales wise.

And I'm a damn Nintendo fan.

I wouldn't be too dismissive of SEGA. They did sell 40 million Genesis systems to Nintendo's 49 million SNESs. That's some pretty damn fierce competition.

Compare that to say Sony decimating Nintendo in the next generation sales wise.

And I'm a damn Nintendo fan.
The software sales are ridiculously one sided. The Genesis had only 17 games that shipped over a million. The SNES had 46. The Genesis had 3 which had over 4 million. The SNES had 9. It really wasn't that close.

Last edited:
The software sales are ridiculously one sided. The Genesis had only 17 games that shipped over a million. The SNES had 46. The Genesis had 3 which had over 4 million. The SNES had 9. It really wasn't that close.

IIRC it was close for a while, particularly due to the blast processing campaign and mortal kombat being better on the genesis. However, things changed once Sega released the 32X and Nintendo countered with Donkey Kong Country.

This is going to sound weird, but reading the nintendo vs sega arguments as a kid aged 7-12... that was actually my introduction to intellectual argumentation of any sort, prior to seriously reading about politics or science or art or anything else.

I remember my father commenting, I must have been 8 or so?, that I had really applied myself one morning working on writing up something for homework. He didn't realise, but the reason I was so focused is because I was writing a letter to nintendo power magazine, it wasn't for homework. I think the letter was asking them why they used cartridges instead of CDs, they wrote back telling me that with CDs one ends up with games like Myst, and that Nintendo was not interested in making games like Myst.

As a huge fan of the 16-bit era, this awesome. I love my Genesis and SNES even today.

"Sega does what Nitendon't"
"Blast Processor"

:up: So awesome.

And they were crushed. I loved my Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast especially, but they were never in the same league.

I think there was decent competition between the two with the Genesis/Mega Drive and Super Nintendo. Once the CD and 32X came around then having the Saturn released right after is where SEGA had ultimately lost a battle that would lose them the "war." As great as the Dreamcast was it was simply too late.

There was a time where they were in the same league....a short time but a time.

The movie should end with someone telling the Nintendo guy that, "Hey, I heard Sony is working on some kind of 32-bit system" with the Nintendo guy going, "Psssht. They're a TV company. Besides, we're working on a 64-bit system, that's going to blow everyone out of the water."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"