SEGA and Nintendo's war in the 90's is being made into feature film

I grew up with the Super Nintendo, it was my first console. But I liked Sega as well, my friend had a Sega Genesis, and we used to play Streets of Rage. I also remember "Chakan: The Forever Man".

The Super Nintendo is still the greatest, though.

The movie should end with someone telling the Nintendo guy that, "Hey, I heard Sony is working on some kind of 32-bit system" with the Nintendo guy going, "Psssht. They're a TV company. Besides, we're working on a 64-bit system, that's going to blow everyone out of the water."
The good ol' Nintendo 64 days.

I think Nintendo still do the handheld thing well. But they've dropped the ball on the consoles. In a big way with Wii U. They better give their next effort some serious thought. Sony and Microsoft have left them in the dust.

You're forgetting Conker's Bad Fur Day, Snowboard Kids and Mischief Makers!

I like Nintendo's characters, like Mario, DK and Kirby, I guess it's Nintendo the company I am not a fan of.

I had a Genesis throughout most of the 16-bit era. I got a SNES in 1995 and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with it. I thought Mario 3 was superior to Mario World, and a lot of games on SNES I had already played on Genesis. Then the 3D era came and my SNES just collected dust. But the Donkey Kong Country games were incredible.

The movie should end with someone telling the Nintendo guy that, "Hey, I heard Sony is working on some kind of 32-bit system" with the Nintendo guy going, "Psssht. They're a TV company. Besides, we're working on a 64-bit system, that's going to blow everyone out of the water."

No, it should end with SEGA going third-party and deciding after years of rivalry to work together with Nintendo. A montage says how Sonic Adv. 2 Battle on GameCube was one of the console's biggest hits, and a new cartoon series helped SEGA thrive even without a console.

Nintendo continues to be a success with DS/3DS and Mario & Sonic eventually got a game series together on Wii. Have Miyamoto and Naka seen shaking hands before credits roll.

Timberlake for Naka.
Ryan Reynolds for Miyamoto.

Last edited:
I got a SNES in 1995 and to be honest, I wasn't that impressed with it.

:wow: Prepare to di...

But the Donkey Kong Country games were incredible.

...forget it:woot: The Donkey Kong Country games were my favorite games when I was a kid. The first one came with the console. I was obsessed...seriously. I found out that there was a cartoon based on the game, but I didn't have the channel, so I never got to see it. It was torture, I tell you!:csad:

Years later, I saw some clips of it...it didn't look very good. As I told my cousin: "I was willing to cut off my weiner and sell it, just to watch one episode of Donkey Kong!"

Luckily, I didn't...

I had a genesis which was easily the better machine but Nintendo had the games

I liked the Genesis gamepad more, and the sleek look of the Genesis and dark gray color are more appealing to my eyes than the SNES
SNES is practically better as a device, more durable, and the gamepad is more solid

I liked the Genesis gamepad more, and the sleek look of the Genesis and dark gray color are more appealing to my eyes than the SNES
SNES is practically better as a device, more durable, and the gamepad is more solid

I didn't like the Genesis pad, but that could be because I was used to the SNES-controller.

I think Playstation kind of ripped off Nintendo when it came to the design of their gamepad. It made it easy for me when I got a Playstation:woot:

I miss those days...I need a time machine:csad:

I didn't like the Genesis pad, but that could be because I was used to the SNES-controller.

I think Playstation kind of ripped off Nintendo when it came to the design of their gamepad. It made it easy for me when I got a Playstation:woot:

I miss those days...I need a time machine:csad:
With 8 Buttons and a little more, it's the right choice to make

I had a Sega Megadrive and a Nintendo Gameboy.

I played my cousins and friend's SNES as well and enjoyed that.

The N64 and Dreamcast were both an abomination though.
Goldeneye was the only reason most people I knew played a N64

I think the letter was asking them why they used cartridges instead of CDs, they wrote back telling me that with CDs one ends up with games like Myst, and that Nintendo was not interested in making games like Myst.
And now the Nintendo consoles of the past 2-3 generations are known primarily for shovel-ware ****** games no one puts effort into. And the consoles are woefully inadequate to the power of the competition.

I remember that argument back in the day myself and Nintendo single-handidly shot themselves in the foot with it. They also feared the power of CD-burners enabling mass piracy of their games so they stuck to the cartridge system for the N-64 after intially going to disc format. Sony took the rejected CD format Nintendo was originally going to use and created the Playstation, which killed off Sega and nearly did in Nintendo.

They are now resorting to gimmicks to sell systems and a handful of good in-house games to keep afloat in the ocean of crap they stranded themselves in.

Nintendo is their own worst enemy these days.

I had two Nintendos, a Super Nintendo and an N-64 so I grew up on them. Conversely I had friends who had Sega's so I had the ability to play them as well.

Goldeneye was the only reason most people I knew played a N64

And the Zelda games, Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Banjo and Kazooie, Super Mario Kart 64, Diddy Kong Racing, Turok, Pilotwings 64, Star Fox, Mario Party, Yoshi's Story, Perfect Dark, Mario Tennis, Super Smash Bros...:woot:

And the fantastic Superman 64, of course.

W-W-W-What!? Dreamcast an abomination!? It had a Web Browser, the VMU, online play and a big library of AAA titles!

Sonic Adventure
Sonic Adventure 2
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Shenmue
Soul Calibur
Phantasy Star Online
Skies of Arcadia
Power Stone 2
Jet Grind Radio
Crazy Taxi
House of the Dead 2
Sword of Beserk: Guts Rage
Rez
Chu Chu Rocket!
Hydro Thunder

I've never been a Nintendo fan. It all started with SEGA Genesis for me in 1993, and then I went immediately to PS1, then PS2, then XBOX 360. To this day, the most fun I've EVER had from video games came from the Genesis and the PS2. I think PS2 in particular is the greatest system ever.

Nintendo, for me, has always been the "children's" company. I know that's not exclusively what their games are, but I wanted adult-oriented games. I felt like if you had a Nintendo console, you were playing Mario Kart or Pokemon or Zelda. Same with Wii. I just never related to that. I wanted real, suspense-filled danger with Resident Evil, Silent Hill, Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto, etc.

I think this movie could be interesting to see how high Nintendo was, and to think about how hard they fell 20 years later. They're almost non-existent. They offer nothing as competition to Microsoft and Sony, the GameCube was basically a dud, as was the Wii and the Wii-U. It's really a fascinating story.

Last edited:
o900000
Mario Party, Mario Tennis, Super Smash Bros...

That is what annoys me about the Mario series. I bought an N64 for Super Mario 64 and loved it. I waited and waited for a sequel, but all I got were spinoffs. Mario Golf, Mario Tennis, Mario Parties 1-50, Dr. Mario 64, Smash Bros.

And then the next Mario platformer became a GameCube exclusive. (and sucked) pfft.

The N64 acquired a decent library of titles by the end of its lifespan, but there were a lot of dry spots inbetween, where nothing really came out for that system except sports games, racing games, and licensed games like Superman 64 & Rugrats Scavenger Hunt.

Playstation meanwhile, oh man. Oddworld, Crash, Parappa, Metal Gear, Resident Evil, Parasite Eve, Fear Effect, Spyro, Tomba, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy, Mega Man Legends, I could go on and on..

Last edited:
Genesis was the badass upstart and Nintendo was the family friendly machine. Nowadays the Genesis has been swapped out for the Xbox/PS.

As a SNES kid I only envied the Genesis side for 2 games: Eternal Champions and X-men (which was based on Jim Lee's run).

and there was this one kid in the neighborhood we use to pretend to be friends with to be able to play them.

I think Sega hits it peak with the Genesis.

If you wanted bloody Mortal Kombat, they had it. I think the processor was actually better on the Genesis (despite it's inferior graphics) so that's developers were able to fit more levels into some of the multi-platformers like Earthworm Jim.

Which is the biggest or most successful video game company of all time?

Nintendo or Sony?

Nintendo should be bought by Disney

Nintendo should be bought by Disney

That's what I've said too. I think Nintendo is so stagnant and up it's own butt that they NEED to do something. Thank God they have the 3DS, which proved to be a hit for them.

And sad thing is that in most cases, a big company would automatically get rid of their CEO, but in Nintendo's case, I think the CEO is so tied into the company with too many connections that it's NOT possible. I think Nintendo's entire board are getting too old, too set in their ways for the video game business.

Last edited:
Definitely grew up a passionate sega fan and was in full on debate mode even during those days.

Had alot of fun with nintendo though. That mario world game on super nes was a treasure. And then there was what Rare did for the N64.

I think if sony hadn't joined the fray(let alone microsoft) the battle would still be on.

I think i prefer Nintendo, the whole nostalgia value behind the company, and their trinity of franchises (Mario, Zelda and Pokemon) have allways interested me more. The Nintendo ways of doing business also don't resonate as well with the Western audience, which values more realism and are right now obsessed with their games as edgy and dark, or being more like interactive movies, so things like Mario are disregarded by many as too childish.

It's interesting how Nintendo ended up like this, they gave us a lot of inovations, like NES and Gameboy. Right now, i don't think they even have the resources to make a console as powerful as X-Box One or PS4

I respect that Nintendo is the only company focused on their mindset of family-friendly entertainment (for the most part). But I think they need to create NEW IPs and stop relying on Mario as their crutch for almost everything. Or at least, attempt to revisit their neglected franchises like Star Fox. They used to be so forward thinking, but now, like what I've said, their heads are up their butts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"