Sentry gets no respect

Spill the beans and throw some spoiler tags around it.

Okey dokey. But it's some big spoilerage, so beware.
Hand basically bluffs MM into resurrecting the DAs by saying that the US will simply give him that area to live in because they have no way of fighting someone of his power level. But as soon as Sentry is resurrected you see that he looks massively pissed (eyes go black, etc).
Next thing you know MM and Sentry are fighting and MM rips his body into pieces. Then suddenly he's back again and attacking MM with energy of some kind and this time MM can't do anything about it. He's panicking saying "How are you doing this?! I control the molecules!"

Sentry orders him to bring the whole town and everyone he's killed and put it back the way it was. MM does it. Then Sentry says "Now go away" and rips MM apart with his energy.

Then Sentry talks to Norman and the other DAs, and says "I learned something about myself today. I can control the molecules of my world. That's how I do what I do." And a few panels later states matter-of-factly "I can't die."

And it goes on from there.

Anyways, I love the fact that they show that he's so powerful that, when he's thinking straight, he can even pwn MM. What I don't like is this makes him too much like just another Beyonder, or worse yet just another, slightly more powerful MM. This also completely changes his powers to the point where now he can just do anything (basically), which could very easily ruin the character depending on what they do with him from here.

If Bendis ruins Sentry completely (which he's now dangerously close to doing), I'm going to be SO pissed.

I don't think it ruins him. But you are right it COULD ruin him.

But it doesn't change much I don't think. He's still basically a god with severe mental problems, that's what I found interesting about him in the first place. And let's be honest, we have all known for ages that if Sentry really let loose, he could take out pretty much ANYONE. And that's why he has mental problems, because he knows he has this insane power, and he is afraid that one day he'll completely lose control of it and kill everyone he loves.

I think it could get rid of the fans he already had. If he can get rid of MM that easily, he has no weaknesses, who can challange this guy? The biggest gripe people have with Supes is he's to powerful. This guy could crush Supes with a thought! I'm a Sentry fan but even I know this guy has to be depowered but what Bendis is doing is giving him more power. Trust me, even as a fan it is giving me a funny feeling on the inside.

Yea but that is the point of his mental issues. Those are his weakness. The guys mind is fragile as it is, him being some insanely powerful nigh on god has gotta put even more strain on it.

I mean, how would you feel if you knew you could destroy the entire planet if you let yourself slip for a moment? That you have so much power you could kill everyone you love if you lose it just a tiny bit? I think it's pretty interesting to be honest.

Hmmm...I guess I'll have to see where it goes before I judge it.

Actually, it's his power which apparently enhances his mental problems. He had mental problems, and his mind is what keeps all his powers together, adding vastly increased strain.

Yea but that is the point of his mental issues. Those are his weakness. The guys mind is fragile as it is, him being some insanely powerful nigh on god has gotta put even more strain on it.

I mean, how would you feel if you knew you could destroy the entire planet if you let yourself slip for a moment? That you have so much power you could kill everyone you love if you lose it just a tiny bit? I think it's pretty interesting to be honest.

I agree it is interesting! Heck, I say do a comic where he and Moon Knight have some kind of alliance, a las Superman and Batman, and become a duo who wrestle more with the enemies in their head than the ones on the outside. But reading about a guy who can do anything and there is no stopping him will get old, especially since they barely touch his mental issues at all.

Haha Sentry and Moony the Loony?!?! That would be keeerraaaazzzyy! :awesome:

But I get what you are saying, if he is too powerful and doesn't have any weakness at all he'll just become a Dues Ex Machine character. Which would be incredibly boring.

That's why I like the whole psychological aspect of Sentry. He's a bat **** insane Superman! :D

Actually, it's his power which apparently enhances his mental problems. He had mental problems, and his mind is what keeps all his powers together, adding vastly increased strain.

Well, yea. That's why I think he is an interesting character when written right. He has all this power inside him, it ****s up his mind.

And then he has to deal with the fact that if he does lose it for a split second, he could destroy everything he holds dear.

Yeah. I really liked how the Void simply limited him originally. As the more powerful the Sentry made himself, the more the Void powered up as well.

I always figured they should reflect that strain. The more power he accessed, the more insane he becomes. So it's a moral conflict, the more power he has, the more he knows he puts at risk.

Yea exactly.

I remember loads of people complained about his role in WWH. I thought it was pretty cool. Tony and Sue and the other begging him to come out to stop Hulk but he was like "No I can't. To stop him I'd have to use more power than I ever have before, and I don't know if I could control it".

And then when he did finally show up to fight Hulk he did in fact nearly lose it...and enjoy losing it.

I thought it was pretty lame.

Dude without full power basically eliminates Attuma and (for whatever reason) facerolls Terrax, cranks up to apparently what is full power, and struggles hardcore with the Hulk?

I mean, he's either just a high end level powerhouse, or he's more powerful than the MM. This dude is the new Gladiator.

I didn't mean I liked the actual fight with Hulk, because he should of wiped the floor with him.

But I mean the whole idea that he was **** scared about losing control completely. And enjoying losing control.

Well, it wasn't too bad, because apparently he wanted to be the Void originally.

But the Void is meant to be his killer attitude.

So apparently when Sentry "cuts loose" there's just no Void, just a weak Sentry. =/

No worries, mates! Sentry can just play this old tune when he feels down.

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7CKsRLu1gnM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7CKsRLu1gnM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Sentry is perhaps the most interesting character ever created in comics. He is complex, lunatic, unpredictable, someone that normal readers can't contemplate. He is immensely powerful, yet cannot operate at his full potential because of his agoraphobia or mental problems. He is someone like most of the real life people who cannot live a normal life coz of so many complexities present in their lives. Bendis is trying to shape up this character in dark avengers. There is a big sentry story coming up. I am hoping for some big turnaround in sentry's life in these upcoming stories.

What's up with the upcoming issue of New Avengers? Are they implying that Sentry isn't powered by a million dying suns, but a million dying sons of Egypt? :whatever:

What's up with the upcoming issue of New Avengers? Are they implying that Sentry isn't powered by a million dying suns, but a million dying sons of Egypt? :whatever:

He killed the Egyptian(s) because he is the WRATH of God. :p I believe thats what it's trying to tell.

Come on! A million dying Sons of Egypt? What the hell is that?

Yeah if they are saying Sentry was what killed the egygtian kids, then it's crazy. Robert didn't become the Sentry until he drank that formula so I guess we will get some shocking revelation that he was always the Sentry for thousands of years and he basically some powerful god or something? Yeah that is stupid.

Or maybe the Sentry is a force like the Phoenix? It just uses different humans as hosts through the ages?

I could buy that.

Yeah if they are saying Sentry was what killed the egygtian kids, then it's crazy. Robert didn't become the Sentry until he drank that formula so I guess we will get some shocking revelation that he was always the Sentry for thousands of years and he basically some powerful god or something? Yeah that is stupid.

Or he can travel back in time too.

Spoilery goodness from the upcoming Dark Avengers issue regarding the Sentry:

They seem to imply that he (or the Void anyways) is the same as the spirit of death God sent in to kill the firstborns of the land of Egypt in Exodus, but it's not necessarily to be taken literally. Basically this issue has absolutely phenomenal artwork but doesn't really tell us anything new. It really doesn't explain any of this crap any more than we already know. All it adds is that apparently Lindy has never really trusted Bob and always, deep down, knew he was a villain and not a hero (wow, another superhero marriage Marvel has decided to trash).

Anyways, we also see that apparently Sentry is so powerful that even when he decides to kill himself by flying into the sun he automatically repairs himself from any damage it does.

Frankly, I no longer trust Bendis with Sentry. I loved his initial story bringing the character into the MU proper, but Sentry in his original mini had dignity, and skill even if he did have a murderous split personality. Bendis has not only turned him into a stupid incompetent blubbering manchild, but he is also screwing with the character's powers (I'm not a fan of the manipulating molecules aspect.)

End of rant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"