The Dark Knight Rises Sequel or Prequel?

GregComicFan

movie and comic buff
Reaction score
Simple question: if tomorrow Nolan said he's going to make another Batman movie (same cast, crew, etc.) ... however, we live in a world where the "8 year gap" (the only part of TDKR I dislike) wasn't a part of TDKR and Nolan is making a prequel set in-between TDK and TDKR.

Would you rather see a film set in-between TDK and TDKR?

Or a straight-sequel to TDKR?

Let's check out the advantages to both:

Prequel set in-between TDK and TDKR:
-This would allow for further character development of Blake, Selina, and Miranda Tate. We could see a possible younger, teenage version of Blake, get a sense of his personal tragedy (dad killed, mom dead from car wreck), and his first meeting with Bruce Wayne and how he figured out Bruce/Batman were the same person. We could see Catwoman's origin. We could see how Miranda came to Gotham, her role with the Clean Energy project, and possibly plant some "hints" that she has a hidden agenda.
-We would get more of Batman as a villain (in Gotham's eyes), he's hunted by police as Gordon leads the hunts but behind-closed-doors tries to assist Batman
-We could see Bruce's depression cause him to be CONSUMED by Batman, prior to when he quits being Batman in TDKR
-And, of course, we would get another Batman's rogues gallery villain (Riddler, Penguin, etc.)
-If you want a prequel, that leaves TDKR as the ending to Bruce's journey.

Sequel to TDKR:
-Another Batman rogues gallery villain, however, this villain would threaten a Gotham that now believes Batman is a hero... and dead.
-We would have Bruce/Selina in hiding in Europe... and possibly being brought back to Gotham for a good cause. Batman/Catwoman would be allies and most likely teammates.
-Blake would become another masked vigilante (Robin? Nightwing?)
-If you want a sequel to TDKR, that means this film will have to provide the definitive conclusion to Nolan's films and Bruce's journey.

Which would you prefer seeing?

My vote is for a prequel in-between TDK and TDKR.

Last edited:
Oh, definitely a film set between the 8 year gap. Batman on the run from the cops, actually taking it, lol. Freaks taking over the remnants of the mob - Black Mask, Penguin, yeah that would be great to see.

The problem with a prequel is that Bruce wouldn't be in the Bat-suit as much if indeed he decided to give it up after the events of TDK and the audience goes to see Batman but Nolan has proven that he can concoct a good crime thriller even if Batman shows up in the last 30 minutes.

The problem with a prequel is that Bruce wouldn't be in the Bat-suit as much if indeed he decided to give it up after the events of TDK and the audience goes to see Batman but Nolan has proven that he can concoct a good crime thriller even if Batman shows up in the last 30 minutes.

If Nolan did decide to tell a story within the 8 year gap, and said that Bruce didn't retire at the end of TDK, I doubt very many would call a foul. Many would be game for it, considering a lot of people who didn't like TDKR would probably love to see a storyline with Batman on the run from the cops; directly after the events of TDK.

Damn... Both actually sound really, really good to me. I'd give the prequel a slight edge because it'll give the TDKR characters more character development particularly Selina.

ETA: JackWhite, I love your avvy! :hrt:

I'd go with a prequel. Selina origin, etc. Not jumping up and down to see Blake fight crime, but I would like to see Bruce and Selina's Italy adventures.

Damn... Both actually sound really, really good to me. I'd give the prequel a slight edge because it'll give the TDKR characters more character development particularly Selina.

ETA: JackWhite, I love your avvy! :hrt:

Haha, thanks. When I saw it in the avvy thread I knew I had to use it!

With this hypothetical "prequel", I'm saying the 8-year-gap of Bruce not being Batman never happened. However, the ending of this Batman film that takes place between TDK and TDKR would end with Batman giving up the cape and cowl in order to set up the opening of TDKR.... it would still open with Bruce being "retired", but it wasn't an 8-year-retirement.

Well then yeah I'd like to see the prequel happen just minutes after TDK, we see Batman limping around the cave-bunker while the rest of the story would be of him and Gordon covering up Dent's evil acts and having Batman being a hunted fugitive.

Along the way we get the subplots of Blake, Selina, Dagget, Miranda.

I would have my cake and eat it too! Meaning a new trilogy. But not in a regular order that people would think.

A Jonathan Nolan written and directed Catwoman prequel set before TDKR. Unless Nicolas Winding Refn wants to get in on it and do a R-Rated version. The stripper or even prostitute angle with Selina and Holly would work. A returning Juno Temple in that role.

Secondly, a Batman prequel to Rises. Set within the year or two after TDK. The 8 year gap would still happen and there would be no changes to Nolans present trilogy. Most of the cast returning in sizeable roles (like before) and directed by Nolan. Batmans "unconfirmed" sightings are represented here. Penguin/Black Mask/Killer Croc...basically what someone said above me. They're the remnants of the mob, but taken over by freaks before the Dent Act becomes official. We see Bruce about to try to get the clean energy project off the ground for the first time. Alfreds line in Rises to Bruce in the cave about "not being down here in a long time" is shown. Cop car chase opens the film as an extention to TDK. But it's done differently to the chase in Rises. Montage style perhaps. Then it begins months later. Maybe Sionis isnt in the movie actually. Maybe he's the villain for the Catwoman prequel. No Marion Cotillard or JGL either.

Thirdly a Nightwing or Batman Beyond-esque spin-off for jGL. Directed by Rian Johnson (Looper). Mr. Freeze would be great. A sequel to Rises.

This would leave Justice League to reboot Batman. The solo movies for that universe could begin with Riddler. The movies would be centered around the Arkham City style, with more emphasis on Strange and his monster men (Man-Bat/Clayface), Dick Graysons Robin, Harley Quinn hinting at a new Joker and disturbing takes on Ventriloquist/MadHatter for cameos. This would let almost everything co-exist between the 2 universes without any clashing between characters.

Last edited:
If it is to be a sequel...there can only be one rogue. Its obvious when you consider TDKR and Blake's origins. Deacon Blackfire.

I would love a Bane prequel following some of his earliest exploits and culminating with his partnership with Daggett.

A sequel like 15-20 years after Rises .

I genuinely believe Christopher Nolan will direct another Batman movie in 15 years or something.

Prequel.

A Film that focuses in on Catwoman in the primary role, with sprinkles of Bruce Wayne behind the scenes, but no full-on Batman.

Definitely no sequel as TDKR is a fine conclusion, but I would have a prequel for sure, or at least an animated prequel, but make it canon as opposed to Batman: Gotham Knight.

Could they make a Catwoman film, but make it a prequel before her appearance in TDKR or Gotham in general? Maybe in Los Angeles or Detroit since those are the other two cities mentioned where she was in her criminal records. Would be cool to see how she learned how to fight and maybe she dealt with mobs herself or maybe someone in Batman's rogue gallery.

In this day and age, a sequel would be nice. Too many reboots.

Realistically Nolan wouldn't do a prequel. His brother could do one for Catwoman (even though i cant see that happening) but Nolan wouldnt touch that. A sequel with JGL is always a possibility but not with Nolan. If they do it within the next 10 years, they can pull it off. If Nolan was attached then Bale would come back as just Bruce Wayne but it aint happening.

A movie could fit in between TDK and TDKR. That 8 year gap included a four year gap since the last confirmed sighting, if I recall correctly.

All the movie would need to be was more subdued. Keep him on the run from the cops (thus unconfirmed sightings) doing detective work and preventing the rise of a new crime lord that spurs the need for the Dent Act?

It could be done. Time and again people have needed to be reminded that the 8 year gap did not mean Batman did nothing in 8 years. There just couldn't be a massive city-destroying sized threat that would draw attention to him. Something more personal, small-scale, psychological, would fit perfectly. Batman operating from the shadows yet again.

I am firmly against a sequel starring Christian Bale, though. If they want to continue in that universe, fine. But Blake needs to be Batman, not Bruce Wayne. Anything less would cheapen his sacrifice at the end of TDKR. And really the whole trilogy and journey of Bruce Wayne.

Sequel. Particularly a Batman Beyond-style film set years in the future. After eight live action films, it is one of the few concepts with the character that hasn't been explored at all yet. I'd be more interested in it than a reboot, prequel, or dragging Bruce Wayne back to Gotham to do another film set shortly after TDKR.

Last edited:
A movie could fit in between TDK and TDKR. That 8 year gap included a four year gap since the last confirmed sighting, if I recall correctly.

All the movie would need to be was more subdued. Keep him on the run from the cops (thus unconfirmed sightings) doing detective work and preventing the rise of a new crime lord that spurs the need for the Dent Act?

It could be done. Time and again people have needed to be reminded that the 8 year gap did not mean Batman did nothing in 8 years. There just couldn't be a massive city-destroying sized threat that would draw attention to him. Something more personal, small-scale, psychological, would fit perfectly. Batman operating from the shadows yet again.

I am firmly against a sequel starring Christian Bale, though. If they want to continue in that universe, fine. But Blake needs to be Batman, not Bruce Wayne. Anything less would cheapen his sacrifice at the end of TDKR. And really the whole trilogy and journey of Bruce Wayne.
With that in mind i think Penguin or Black Mask would work as the crime lord. Riddler would also work for the personal psychological story.

With that in mind i think Penguin or Black Mask would work as the crime lord. Riddler would also work for the personal psychological story.

Thats where I think Nolan was wrong on his opinion of certain Batman villains. I believe Nolan stated that Riddler would be too much like a rehash of the Joker... not really. Not every villain wants to destroy all of Gotham... or take over all of Gotham... I think the Riddler is a villain that can be written as being a threat to Batman, innocent lives, the GCPD, but not the entire city. Not every villain needs to attempt to destroy the entire city or take it over as warlord.

I still think Riddler as an FBI agent called in by the US Government to assist GCPD in capturing Batman would of been a great way to introduce the Riddler... he slowly goes insane and turns total villain by the end of the movie... and he would be a threat to Batman/Bruce... but not all of Gotham City. Not every villain needs to threaten the city.

Sorry but that's not entirely correct. Blake asks Gordon on the rooftop in the beginning about "that night, this night 8 years ago, the night Dent died, the last confirmed sighting of the Batman..."

It is implied that Bruce has only been in self-imposed "exile" for the last 3-5 years if I remember right.

But my theory about how it could work is the use of "confirmed." A confirmed sighting could mean up close and personal and as we all know not many people get up close and personal to get a good look at Batman. The lack of detail in the statue at the end exemplifies this as no one really knew what he looked like, just the basics, as he lived in the shadows. It's a stretchI know but not impossible

^I agree. And it's 3 years of Bruce being a recluse. So that leaves 5 years where he was still going out as at least Bruce Wayne...attempting to get the clean energy project off the ground. When things took a turn he locked himself up in his mansion with no purpose whatsoever.

Out of the 5 years i would assume by year 2 or something like that, the Dent Act came into place. So they could always do a story (itll never happen but they could) where he's going out every once and a while because of Riddler or Penguin for example. Either Penguin taking advantage of Dents death and the mob, etc. Or Nygma hired as an agent to hunt down the Bat. Which could add to his leg injury.

If they could fit Joker and Two-Face in the same film, fit Bane/Talia with Catwoman, Daggett, cameos from Crane/Ras, introducing Robin and still centering it around Bruce's journey...then they can bloody well do a movie with Riddler AND Penguin together. As long as it's in typical Nolan fashion where you dont see them side by side as some lame alliance teaming up to take out the hero. Like each of Nolans movies you keep them away from each other.

Riddler as the supporting villain. Behind the scenes. Use the actors voice and side-shots most of the time. And only interacting with the GCPD and Gordon. Gordon doesnt like him for instance. And you have him and Bats only meet each other in the climax of the movie. It would build it up. Riddler leaving clues for Bruce which would show off his detective skills. Clues that could lead him to Penguins operations and plans and some that could be setting Batman up for a trap. Penguin would be the main villain, getting more screentime, showing off his ruthlessness as well as the sadness of his childhood (through nightmare sequences).

You can have both of them and pull it off.

If a movie was made that took place btw tdk and tdkr then I would like to see the penguin or black mask that takes place near the time of the dent act going into effect. Then in the background the prisoners from Arkham transferring to the new blackgate prison, except the joker. With the joker being the only prisoner at Arkham he escapes and goes into hiding. This part doesn't need to be big just a notification of this happening. This would satisfy the no presence in tdkr of the joker. Than, a movie set after tdkr, the joker resurfaces, discovers that Blake, who assumes the role as batman, is not the batman he had faced in tdk. Thus, bringing back Bruce to assume the role of batman, but he only returns as batman and not Bruce Wayne since his character is dead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"