seven in running for 2007 visual effects oscar.

Mr. Credible

jukebox hero
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=40752

Seven in Running for 2007 Visual Effects Oscar
Source: Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
January 7, 2008

The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences has announced that seven films remain in contention for Achievement in Visual Effects for the 80th Academy Awards®.

The films are listed below in alphabetical order:

The Bourne Ultimatum
Evan Almighty
The Golden Compass
I Am Legend
Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
Transformers

On Wednesday, January 16, members of the Academy's Visual Effects Branch will view 15-minute excerpts from each of the seven shortlisted films. Following the screenings, the members will vote to nominate three films for final Oscar consideration.

The 80th Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Tuesday, January 22, 2008, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy's Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2007 will be presented on Sunday, February 24, 2008, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network beginning at 5 p.m. PT. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.

my vote is for transformers, with pirates in second place, even though it was a sub-par movie at best, and the best special effect in the movie (davy jones) was done just as well in the second film.

Transformers will probably win but I can't believe Bourne 3 and Evan Almighty are still in and Spidey 3 isn't.

i'll actually be kind of upset if pirates gets the win. a few years ago, when the matrix revolutions came out, they snubbed it and said that it was because "this movie didn't show us anything we hadn't seen in reloaded" (or something to that effect), even though the effects in revolutions were ridiculously well done, and way ahead of their time.

so, if they give the award to pirates then that would make them big time hypocrites.

I was not impressed by the FX in Revolutions at all and they didn't save that poor ass movie.

To me FX have to work in conjunction with the movie, and even if it has the best FX, if the movie sucks it doesn't deserve a nod.

Transformers for the mother****ing win. Why are "Bourne" and "Evan Almighty" nominated? Their visual effects were nothing special. And "I Am Legend"? The zombies looked fake as hell!

I was not impressed by the FX in Revolutions at all and they didn't save that poor ass movie.

To me FX have to work in conjunction with the movie, and even if it has the best FX, if the movie sucks it doesn't deserve a nod.

i disagree, and apparently, so do these guys, since evan almighty and pirates are on the list of nominees... the award is about the best fx, not the best movie. if an uwe boll movie has the best fx of the year, it deserves to be on that list.

and how could you not dig the fx in revolutions? they were flawless, dammit.

Transformers for the mother****ing win. Why are "Bourne" and "Evan Almighty" nominated? Their visual effects were nothing special. And "I Am Legend"? The zombies looked fake as hell!
I agree. The movement, when they were climbing walls, was totally unreal...

Quite surprised Spiderman 3 isn't in there.

I'm hoping either Pirates or Transformers wins.

I don't really see why I Am Legend got nominated the effects were okay but not great. I think it goes to 300 or Transformers.

Seriously?

The award is for FX work ... The quality of the film in general does not really matter.

how Evan Almighty was nominated, but not Spidey 3 is beyond me. Sandman ALONE was better than everything in Evan Almighty.

Quite surprised Spiderman 3 isn't in there.

It would have been if the rest of the effects were on par with Sandman's "birth". The effects and detail for that were awesome and imo the best part of the movie. Other than that the rest of the effects looked just Ok. I think minus the Sandman birth that Spider-Man 2 had better visuals.

Transformers FTW!

I hope 300 wins!!!

Why wasnt spiderman 3 in the running? sandman rising was better then anything in the Bourne Ultimatum.

i say either 300 or Transformers should win.

To me, it doesn't even matter that Spider-Man 3 wasn't nominated, as it probably wouldn't have won. Its effects were not on par with "Transformers" or "Pirates 3".

SM3 would not have won compared to Transformers (I think it was as good as Pirates 3) or 300, which while less complex, had the best overall effect on the movie it represents. I have no idea why Evan Almighty or Bourne (while great, not CGI heavy) are up there. As for SM3, I think the birth of Sandman, the first two Sandy fights, the birth of Venom and the first Peter/Harry fight were all impressive enough to warrant a nomination, but I guess the movie was so disappointing for most people (I'm one of the few w ho liked it) that the Academy felt the ned to pre-emptively snub it.

Oh well, Transformers deserves this one anyway (mind you I am ambivalent about the movie, but the effects were impressive).

Transformers have my favorite effects all year. Pirates might win though.

Doesn't matter what's nominated because Transformers should have this in the bag already. That movies effects were beyond incredible, the entire movie I never had that "this is CGI or this is an effect" thought and considering the big draws of the movie were nothing but a special effect there's no reason why it shouldn't win.

I agree. The movement, when they were climbing walls, was totally unreal...
I liked it. :confused: They're supernatural creatures it's not suppose to look real.

I think Transformers is going to take though.

Either Transformers or Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End definitely deserve the award. Either way, ILM is the winner.

Seriously?

The award is for FX work ... The quality of the film in general does not really matter.

To me it's about how the FX truly enhance the movie and work with the story in harmony. If a bad movie is just a platform for fancy FX, IMHO it does NOT deserve the nod.

That said, I'd say X-men 2 was overlooked for the BAMF effect alone. Worked perfectly with the story and the movie, and that sequence is criminally underrated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"