20 Animated Features Line up for 2009 Oscar Race

Dr. Evil

Eternal
Reaction score
20 Animated Features Line Up for 2009 Oscar Race
Source:The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences
November 11, 2009

20 features have been submitted for consideration in the Animated Feature Film category for the 82nd Academy Awards®.

The 20 submitted features are:

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel
Astro Boy
Battle for Terra
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Coraline
Disney's A Christmas Carol
The Dolphin – Story of a Dreamer
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
Mary and Max
The Missing Lynx
Monsters vs. Aliens
Planet 51
Ponyo
The Princess and the Frog
The Secret of Kells
Tinker Bell and the Lost Treasure
A Town Called Panic
Up

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel, The Dolphin – Story of a Dreamer, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Planet 51, The Princess and the Frog, The Secret of Kells and A Town Called Panic have not yet had their required Los Angeles qualifying run. Submitted features must fulfill the theatrical release requirements and meet all of the category's other qualifying rules before they can advance in the voting process.

Under the rules for this category, a maximum of 5 features can be nominated in a year in which the field of eligible entries numbers at least 16.

Films submitted in the Animated Feature Film category also may qualify for Academy Awards in other categories, including Best Picture, provided they meet the requirements for those categories.

The 82nd Academy Awards nominations will be announced on Tuesday, February 2, 2010, at 5:30 a.m. PT in the Academy’s Samuel Goldwyn Theater.

Academy Awards for outstanding film achievements of 2009 will be presented on Sunday, March 7, 2010, at the Kodak Theatre at Hollywood & Highland Center®, and televised live by the ABC Television Network. The Oscar presentation also will be televised live in more than 200 countries worldwide.

Alvin and the Chipmunks? What the hell?

The ones I have bolded are my predictions on who will be nominated from this list.

Last edited:
I think it'll be:

Up
The Princess and the Frog
The Fantastic Mr. Fox

for the two others, it's hard to say. I would like to say Ponyo, but because of it's slight association with Disney, it may not get a nom. 2 Disney films are enough.

I wanna say Coraline, perhaps. Or an indie flick.

no Avatar.

because the question is: Are the aliens and planet suppose to be this 'Cool World/Toon Town' type of CGI where it's suppose to be a cartoon? Or is it suppose to be realistic CGI, and the aliens are suppose to be as real as you and me?

i'm going with the latter.

Hmm... Up and Coraline seem like the most likely two of the bunch. Ponyo (which I still haven't seen and don't intend to) seemed well reviewed. As does The Fantastic Mr. Fox. We'll have to wait and see for The Princess & The Frog. I don't see the rest making it. Some were fun, others sucked. Those 5 are my top picks.

no Avatar.

because the question is: Are the aliens and planet suppose to be this 'Cool World/Toon Town' type of CGI where it's suppose to be a cartoon? Or is it suppose to be realistic CGI, and the aliens are suppose to be as real as you and me?

i'm going with the latter.

Regardless, it belongs there more that Alvin 2.

lets drop Alvin 2. if Alvin 2 gets a nom, then GI Joe and Transformers 2 should too ;p

Alvin 2 was only added to the list to fill 20 spots. To me it reeks of Garfield 2.

Going to change one of my picks from Ice Age to Coraline.

Last edited:
If Up doesn't win, then I will lose ALL faith in the Oscars.

God I want to see Ponyo like you wouldn't believe.

Coraline was really good. It could give Up a run for it's money. I don't what the reviews have been like so far on Fox. It might be a little too far out there to really contend.

Fantastic Mr. Fox has a 94% on RottenTomatoes right now. But the film comes out in two days so it could still go either way at this point. But from the trailers I've seen, and the reviews I've read, it's ranged from being called "a great film" to "a groundbreaking film."

I for one can't wait to see it on Friday.

I haven't seen any animated films this year.

Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"