seven in running for 2007 visual effects oscar.

I liked it. :confused: They're supernatural creatures it's not suppose to look real.

Yeah? The Dutchman crew in "Pirates of the Caribbean" are supernatural and they looked pretty realistic to me. The zombies in "I Am Legend" were shoddy CGI work.

Transformers or Pirates..

I'd say transformers..it was kinda flawless.

Yeah? The Dutchman crew in "Pirates of the Caribbean" are supernatural and they looked pretty realistic to me. The zombies in "I Am Legend" were shoddy CGI work.
Agreed about Pirates but I kinda think the CGI in IAL wasn't a big part of the movie IMO and I'm kinda surprised it's in this catergory.

Like others have said, some of the choices are questionable. Though in the end, I don't think they'll matter.

I hope 300 wins, but Transformers will prob get the award (which is deserving). Haven't seen Pirates...

Out of those movies, I've only seen Transformers and 300. I think Transformers will walk away victorious.

If the first Sandman sequence in Spider-Man 3 isn't good enough to get a nomination, I'm not sure what is.

If the first Sandman sequence in Spider-Man 3 isn't good enough to get a nomination, I'm not sure what is.

that scene was terrific, no doubt.

the rest of the fx, especially the cgi human faces/digital stunt-doubles were terrible... and especially considering the budget of the movie, and the fact that movies like the matrix sequels and blade II and many others did the whole digital stunt-double thing just as good years before it. everything else in spider-man 3 was on par (at best) with spider-man 2. that's why it didn't get the nod.

and that's why i don't think at world's end should get the nomination... it didn't do anything we hadn't seen in dead man's chest, and it was a pretty crappy movie to boot.

Transformers for sure, excellent across the board. I haven't seen Pirates 3 though.

how Evan Almighty was nominated, but not Spidey 3 is beyond me. Sandman ALONE was better than everything in Evan Almighty.

I beg to differ, the final flood scene in Almighty was really well done, and while the movie sucked pretty bad, that scene is worth a look. There was also extensive compositing going on with the animals, which is no easy feat, those subtle effects help the films effects gain more merit.

Sm3 on the other hand was a typical bombastic effects movie, and those effects were spotty most of the time.

why the hell is bourne even nominated?

Live free or die hard shouldve taken that spot

For the ignorant fools:

-Special FX go beyond CG. The Bourne Ultimatum was a remarkable achievement for live action practical FX.

-Instead of bashing it, we should be celebrating movies that take the action movie genre back down to earth with all the CG garbage that gets shoved down audiences throats.

-Nothing in The Bourne Ultimatum looked fake. Watch the commentary and there were many things that never looked like FX that were as well.

OH NOEZ FANCY CGI ROBOTZ! NO AWARD FOR YOU!

The Bourne Ultimatum should be nominated for best picture.

For the ignorant fools:

-Special FX go beyond CG. The Bourne Ultimatum was a remarkable achievement for live action practical FX.

-Instead of bashing it, we should be celebrating movies that take the action movie genre back down to earth with all the CG garbage that gets shoved down audiences throats.

-Nothing in The Bourne Ultimatum looked fake. Watch the commentary and there were many things that never looked like FX that were as well.

I get your point but there is no need to be a jerk about it.

They really need to split this category into two like the VES does, Outstanding Visual Effects in a Visual Effects Driven Motion Picture and Outstanding Supporting Visual Effects in a Motion Picture, then movies like Transformers and The Bourne Ultimatum will both be recognized, but as it stands, Transformers is more of an achievement than Bourne is, as they do everything Bourne does, but so much more(practical effects and more).

How is Bourne on there but not Spidey 3? That is rediculous. I love Bourne Ultimatum and all, but for visuals, Spidey 3 owns it.

And Pirates had great effects (for a crap movie) and deserves a nom, but Transformers FTW.

Transformers all the way. The skidding down the highway scene between Prime and Bonecrusher was awesomely done. They looked completely real in the sunlight complete with glass and reflections (and an explosion here and there, along with generous amounts of debris). If that's not an achievement I don't know what is.

*sigh* Same posts every year... :whatever:

How They Decide

From memory, a 15 minute demonstration clip is made and submitted, then visual effects people in the industry weigh them up and cast a vote. And that's "visual effects," not just CGI.

The choices

Why I think some of these films might have merit...

• The Bourne Ultimatum: Don't know. I missed this one.
  • Evan Almighty: Photo realistic CGI animals.
  • The Golden Compass: Veritable colleidescope of effects. I have no pick for what might be submitted.
  • I Am Legend: Transforming busy New York into a post-apocalyptic ghost town.
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End: As with Golden Compass, a lot to choose from.
  • 300: And again.
  • Transformers: Superb marriage of CGI and practical effects, especially where the transformers in robot form were concerned.

Just a final comment on I Am Legend. Anyone persisting in maintaining that the dark seekers looked bad probably needs to look at the aging done to the city streets a bit more closely. New York shown as it was in the movie impressed the hell out of me and I'm willing to bet that the 15 demonstration submission will have more to do with that than monsters.

For the ignorant fools:

This post made me laugh.

Tell me, what's more impressive? Matt Damon jumping off a building or whatever the hell he does, or two realistic-looking robots fighting under an overpass?

And if we're talking live-action effects, the ones in "Live Free or Die Hard" were far more impressive.

Just a final comment on I Am Legend. Anyone persisting in maintaining that the dark seekers looked bad probably needs to look at the aging done to the city streets a bit more closely. New York shown as it was in the movie impressed the hell out of me and I'm willing to bet that the 15 demonstration submission will have more to do with that than monsters.

Yes the city was great and they did a fantastic job on it. But the rest of the CGI was a mess, the vampires, the lions, even the deer were shoddy sometimes.
But NYC was done very very well, Had they just used CGI for that and did everything else practical it would have been amazing.

Ps... The vampires were horrible and fake. They reminded me of The Mummy.

For the ignorant fools:

Your elitism is hilarious.

:lmao:

This post made me laugh.

Tell me, what's more impressive? Matt Damon jumping off a building or whatever the hell he does, or two realistic-looking robots fighting under an overpass?

The car chases in Ultimatum were fantastic as were all of the FX. Never once did I go "Oh they did that with CGI." That is impressive. Watching two fake looking robots fighting is not.

I thought the car chase in "Death Proof" was great without using CG, but with "Ultimatum", it was more of the same old stuff. At least bring something new to the table.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"