• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings General Discussion and Speculation thread

Lol people online are calling it the live action gender swapped Raya and the last dragon due to awkwafina basically acting the same.

looks ok. I was hoping for more breathtaking chinese landscapes. But dissapointed that it’s set a big part of the movie in the „real“ world (San Francisco, Shanghai or Hongkong)

Those lions look interesting - but they reminded me of that awful Airbender creatures from the live-action movie.

No hints of a tournament at all, so I guess all those leaks were false.

Last edited:
looks ok. I was hoping for more breathtaking chinese landscapes. But dissapointed that it’s set a big part of the movie in the „real“ world (San Francisco, Shanghai or Hongkong)

Those lions look interesting - but they reminded of that awful Airbender creatures from the live-action movie.

No hints of a tournament at all, so I guess all those leaks were false.

There probably is one, I don't think Marvel wants people to say it's a Mortal Kombat ripoff right off the bat. They will wait until MK has run it's course before showing more.

Interested in seeing which established MCU character shows up in mid credit/post credits. That will be cool.

there was absolute no indication, that this is a movie set in the MCU. I always thought, that they draw a connection to it.
I have a lot of friends who like the MCU, but probably don‘t expect this to be a MCU movie

Looks good! Consider me no longer worried.

there was absolute no indication, that this is a movie set in the MCU. I always thought, that they draw a connection to it.
I have a lot of friends who like the MCU, but probably don‘t expect this to be a MCU movie

His actions will get the attention of an already established MCU character, who will likely show up mid-credits/post credits. If nobody shows up that we already know, it will be shocking.

I know absolutely nothing about Shang Chi but I liked that trailer! The cinematography looks great based on that.

We already know whose attention may be caught by this, and he uses his own rings. :o

Also really digging the music during the Shang-Chi title at the end.

Trailer looks awesome.

Anyone getting Black Panther vibes? I wouldn't be surprised if the plot is essentially a reworked Black Panther plot with the outcast Killmonger character (In this case Shangchi) as the Hero and the Rightful king character Tchalla (In this case Mandarin) as the Villain.All dressed in an Asian Makeover.

I am very curious about the Red robed warriors and Mythical Lions.Look awesome.

It seems Mandarin has the Rings from the beginning. So they are not a prize for a Tournament as was rumored. Also they clearly hav

In fact I don't really see a Tournament in this thing, I just saw a couple of Fight club scenes.

Im still not sold on Simu liu as Mandarin but I can deal with it.

Movie look awesome.

If you were sold on Simu Liu as Mandarin then he's clearly failed as Shang Chi. :o

His actions will get the attention of an already established MCU character, who will likely show up mid-credits/post credits. If nobody shows up that we already know, it will be shocking.

yeah, but they couldn’t market a scene from the mid/post credits.
At the moment non-comicbook-readers don’t see, if this is a character in they same movie universe like Spiderman, Black Panther or just a Marvel character like Venom or Daredevil with no connections to the MCU.

It was okay. I've seen lots of martial arts films so this didn't wow me that much. I'd want to see things as spectacular as these other martial arts films. Also would've preferred more landscapes and plains than in the city. It's more like a modern Jackie Chan film than one of his classics.

Also Akwafina seems to be playing the same kind of character she always is.

yeah, but they couldn’t market a scene from the mid/post credits.
At the moment non-comicbook-readers don’t see, if this is a character in they same movie universe like Spiderman, Black Panther or just a Marvel character like Venom or Daredevil with no connections to the MCU.

We haven't seen the movie yet, so that's a wild assumption to say "it's not going to connect to the MCU." Also, it's only the first trailer, the next few trailers could confirm that it's in the same universe as Spider-Man and Black Panther.

I wish this trailer focused more on Shang Chi and his journey than just giving him four lines. It makes it difficult for me to get invested in what the trailer is trying to sell me. That's pretty unlike Marvel. The best Marvel trailers have always focused on that because they've always done well with their lead characters. That Doctor Strange teaser is still one of the best for that reason. Hopefully they're not covering up a bad performance here.

This trailer was like an exact replica of the Black Panther one just bland. I liked the actual martial arts stuff but once I saw the CGI armies my eyes glazed over. It looks like another Marvel movie. Bland visuals and digital cinematography, jokes (Awkwafina is playing Awkwafina but with a Marvel script), generic action, etc. It's become like clock work. Shang Chi is a martial artist. Lean into that instead of all of this bland epic action. This has that Marvel filter where it just has that generic looking action and CG that's in much of their stuff that makes their movies feel same-y. It's a shame because Marvel's goal is to utilize the uniqueness of their characters but this approach undermines it. I'll give the next trailer another chance, but if I feel the same way I came out of this, I'm skipping this.

With BW, F&TWS and now this not interesting me, Marvel is kind of letting me down here. I hope Eternals has a better trailer I guess?

I would have preferred if a Robert Rodriguez or someone directed this. Someone with a sense of style and fun and knows how to use the genre elements to the best of their ability. Get Guillermo Navarro to shoot it dammit! Stop giving me these bland looking movies.

Last edited:
It was okay. I've seen lots of martial arts films so this didn't wow me that much. I'd want to see things as spectacular as these other martial arts films. Also would've preferred more landscapes and plains than in the city. It's more like a modern Jackie Chan film than one of his classics.

I'm almost of the same mind, but I wouldn't care if it wow'd me unless that's like the only money maker shot of the movie, yunno? If they don't have many tricks up their sleeves for their movies, they should hold on.

OTOH, if they don't have many money maker shots... is it even worth doing a movie?

Last edited:
Also, even though they aren't fully comparable, makes you wonder what Iron Fist could've been if it had even a fraction of the effort that this teaser trailer has.
Honestly I could easily see Iron Fiat fitting into this world. (Not the Netflix version but a new rebooted one) highly doubt that happens though.

Herself?

I would've preferred also if they made him more like the Bruce Lee comic style Shang Chi than just Simu Liu. Also his fighting seemed pretty average. Nothing we haven't seen done much better in a proper martial arts film.

Good trailer... Can't wait for that martial arts goodness. The teaser poster is horrible, though.

I wish this trailer focused more on Shang Chi and his journey than just giving him four lines. It makes it difficult for me to get invested in what the trailer is trying to sell me. That's pretty unlike Marvel. The best Marvel trailers have always focused on that because they've always done well with their lead characters. That Doctor Strange teaser is still one of the best for that reason. Hopefully they're not covering up a bad performance here.

This trailer was like an exact replica of the Black Panther one just bland. I liked the actual martial arts stuff but once I saw the CGI armies my eyes glazed over. It looks like another Marvel movie. Bland visuals and digital cinematography, jokes (Awkwafina is playing Awkwafina but with a Marvel script), generic action, etc. It's become like clock work. Shang Chi is a martial artist. Lean into that instead of all of this bland epic action. This has that Marvel filter where it just has that generic looking action and CG that's in much of their stuff that makes their movies feel same-y. It's a shame because Marvel's goal is to utilize the uniqueness of their characters but this approach undermines it. I'll give the next trailer another chance, but if I feel the same way I came out of this, I'm skipping this.

With BW, F&TWS and now this not interesting me, Marvel is kind of letting me down here. I hope Eternals has a better trailer I guess?

I would have preferred if a Robert Rodriguez or someone directed this. Someone with a sense of style and fun and knows how to use the genre elements to the best of their ability. Get Guillermo Navarro to shoot it dammit! Stop giving me these bland looking movies.
This was the first Thor trailer. He had 3 lines. People criticized the “You’re an old man and a fool!” delivery. You can only show so much in two minute trailer.

For a first trailer for a character that 99% of the audience have never heard of, I thought it delivered. People are going to complain they didn’t show enough. When they release the second trailer, they will complain they showed too much.

Not familiar with Liu as an actor, but...Black Panther didn't speak at all in his first trailer. Just saying.

Not familiar with Liu as an actor, but...Black Panther didn't speak at all in his first trailer. Just saying.

True, but at least we already knew Boseman was a great actor and he proved himself in CW as the character and we got some sense of what his character would be in the place of his own movie. The fact this guy is an unknown doesn't bother me. In fact, it's kind of refreshing, the problem is I don't know much about character from this trailer. Something about not hiding who you truly are I guess?

When The Mandarin had his "join me, son" speech, and Shang-Chi said "that's not gonna happen", I had strong vibes of Batman Begins with the whole "I'll be standing where I belong....between you and the people of Gotham".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"