Who should play Shang-Chi and the other characters?

Mike Moh looks good as Bruce Lee here with his sunglasses on

But when he takes them off, he doesn't quite look like him. He also seems a bit slower in movement than Bruce Lee. How on earth would the real Bruce Lee get his arm twisted around by someone else?

He could still work for Shang Chi, but I think it would be better to get a Chinese actor if possible.

I don’t understand that trailer and I won’t respond to it. Tarantino peaked with inglorious basterds.

Bruce Lee can kick anyone’s ass

I'd definitely take Moh as Shang-Chi - shoehorn Christian Howard as Iron Fist in their somewhere and it would be a regular ol' Street-Fighter reunion (!)

I don’t understand that trailer and I won’t respond to it. Tarantino peaked with inglorious basterds.

Bruce Lee can kick anyone’s ass

tenor.gif

Yeah, I like Ng and wouldn't mind seeing him in this movie but he is probably a bit too old to play Shang.

I expect the rumor about Steven Yeun to remain a rumor, as he would be a big miscast, imo.
why? He's a moderately known voice who has drastically improved (his acting) in recent years. He's not the most physically able star but given a few months of working out; he could fit the bill. He's 35 but he could easily play late 20's.

I still think Remy Hii's character in Far From Home will be end up being Shang.

If not then my choice would Osric Chau:

I love that suggestion. Osric is the smaller guy right? Speed in movement and agility is key imo and he definitely has it. Acting and screen presence will come with time and I do hope Marvel is more forgiving in this criteria. Look at Jet Li for example. A Wushu champion who became a solid actor through his career.

Too bad Remy Hii is probably going to wasted in Spider-Man Homecoming as he could of made a good Shang Chi.

it's very complicated issue. the best would be chinese who can speak english.
If they make movie just for "American diversity", it really doesn't matter whoever they cast, chinese, korean, japanese, etc. americans will support and make it big for (fake)diversity.
and America clearly is not ready for complicated asian issue. so I don't see them doing it right.
afterall it's marvel, no matter what it won't flop.

(+casting Taiwanese is not great idea too considering their tension but If we don't care china audience. why not)

I actually think there's value in seeking out Chinese actors who speak English. Not just culturally, but monetarily.

If you have a well-made, well-acted MCU movie, with stars that are instantly recognizable to the chinese audience, box office performance in China could be so high that we could have a soft Ant-Man esque performance in the U.S. and still have a $1 B movie.

I suppose the marvel way is usually unknown lead, surrounded by well known actors people recognise. I don’t see that changing with Shang Chi

I actually think there's value in seeking out Chinese actors who speak English. Not just culturally, but monetarily.

If you have a well-made, well-acted MCU movie, with stars that are instantly recognizable to the chinese audience, box office performance in China could be so high that we could have a soft Ant-Man esque performance in the U.S. and still have a $1 B movie.

We have Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Chow Yun Fat. As far as I know, those are Chinese actors who can speak English very well. Not sure as far as the actress go, as they may have to go to Chinese Americans or Chinese Brits for that one, although I would like to see them actually cast Chinese actors in significant roles.

What about Iko Uwais ? Hes an up & coming International star & does know English

We have Donnie Yen, Jackie Chan, Jet Li and Chow Yun Fat.

I grew up watching all those guys and they're great, but they're also ancient. The youngest of those 3 is Jet Li and he's 56.

As for casting this role, this might be complicated. Feige has said that Shang Chi is Chinese American. I don't know if he means that Shang Chi will be born and rasied in the US or if he's just using his comic book origin story which was his his mom being a American white woman. Anyways I figure they want to appeal to the Chinese market and casting a mainland Chinese actor would really help. But if Shang Chi is Chinese American Marvel would receive a lot of back lash if they cast a mainland actor who speaks English with a thick accent.

I'm Asian American and personally I am rooting for the the local guys. My first choice has already been mentioned a lot, and that's Ludi Lin. I think he would be great for the role as he's kind of tall, good looking, and I found him pretty charismatic in the Power Rangers movie. Besides the action I think he can make Shang Chi a likable character if they let him do his thing.

But again, if Marvel's main goal is to appeal to the Chinese market then they should cast a mainland actor. But I hope that's not the case.

Last edited:
This is a case where I think they could have gotten away with casting a mainland actor with great fight abilities who speaks accented English; by making him Chinese American they kind of painted themselves in a corner with that one. Then again, if this provides a vehicle to make a star out of a relatively unknown Chinese American actor (which is virtually any Chinese American actor) for being in a MCU film, which is almost guaranteed to make money, then by all means.

I am on the Ludi Lin bandwagon. He seems to fit all the criteria, and is in the mold of other actors Marvel has tapped for their leads. He also wants the role.

I am on the Ludi Lin bandwagon. He seems to fit all the criteria, and is in the mold of other actors Marvel has tapped for their leads. He also wants the role.
Me too. I'm all for Lin now

Ha, that would make a fun hashtag. #InForLin

I am also on the lin train. Not only is he good looking and has experience with blockbusters but he also seems like a nice guy and an easy guy to work with

Alex landi is actively campaigning for a role

He’s pretty hunky. Could be the new jock of the marvel u now that
Chris Evans
is gone

Mike Moh looks good as Bruce Lee here with his sunglasses on

But when he takes them off, he doesn't quite look like him. He also seems a bit slower in movement than Bruce Lee. How on earth would the real Bruce Lee get his arm twisted around by someone else?

He could still work for Shang Chi, but I think it would be better to get a Chinese actor if possible.

I still prefer Rain Bi rninja_assassin.jpg

Rain Bi is still the best candidate for Shang Chi and a proven lead Asian.hqdefault.jpg rninja_assassin.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"