Shazam Shazam General Discussion and Speculation - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The set photo of Jack Dylan Grazer as Freddy Freeman wearing the Superman shirt with the same S as Cavill’s Superman kinda confirms it’s set in the DCEU.
To work it’s gotta be like the Spider-Man Homecoming of the DCEU; about a kid superhero.

Haha so the scooper about Sup in Shazam is off the hook now

As has been said there was never anything to the rumor it was outside the DCEU just some clickbaiters trying to make some waves. It was all based on the idea that it was being made by New Line but otherwise no one involved with the production said anything about it being separate.

I'm curious as to why WB moved Shazam to New Line in the first place. Was it because of Dwayne Johnson's involvement with Black Adam or because David Sandberg's previous two films Lights Out and Annabelle Creation were also NL banner releases?

Not that I'm complaining. If New Line is giving more creative freedom than the mother studio, then I'm all for it.

I'm curious as to why WB moved Shazam to New Line in the first place. Was it because of Dwayne Johnson's involvement with Black Adam or because David Sandberg's previous two films Lights Out and Annabelle Creation were also NL banner releases?

Not that I'm complaining. If New Line is giving more creative freedom than the mother studio, then I'm all for it.

I think New Line has owned the Shazam/Captain Marvel film rights for a while, before they got involved. It just never got into active development until now.

Sony and Marvel sharing Spider-Man, arrangement is kind of like that.

I think New Line has owned the Shazam/Captain Marvel film rights for a while, before they got involved. It just never got into active development until now.

Except the fact that New Line is also owned by same company Time Warner Inc.

Either way New Line Cinemas is a perfect studio to release DC Films especially from here on out; I would have suggested Paramount but that would never work

New Line Cinema is merely a label now, as their movies are (c) Warner Bros. Pictures in the end credits. WB mostly relegates genre fare (like IT) to New Line to better distinguish the types of movies they put out.

Warners can easily shift DC titles to New Line if they want to since they still own the films. My take on Shazam being an NL release is because of David Sandberg and Peter Safran's involvement.

I'm going to give this film a chance, I've just never been a fan of the character. But, with that said I was never a fan of some characters that Marvel has brought from B & C rank characters to A ranked with their films. So.... maybe DC can pull it off too.

New Line Cinema is merely a label now, as their movies are (c) Warner Bros. Pictures in the end credits. WB mostly relegates genre fare (like IT) to New Line to better distinguish the types of movies they put out.

Warners can easily shift DC titles to New Line if they want to since they still own the films. My take on Shazam being an NL release is because of David Sandberg and Peter Safran's involvement.

New Line does occasionally release big budget films but it's pretty rare. Rampage was a recent example and was a decent hit.

Either way New Line Cinemas is a perfect studio to release DC Films especially from here on out; I would have suggested Paramount but that would never work

They're never going to give distribution rights to their IP to a rival studio.

Paramonunt are not very successful outside of Transformers and MI movies.

Believe itor not, WB are still the second most successful studio in Hollywood.

giphy.gif

apparently the lightning bolt practically lights up on zach's chest

I'm going to give this film a chance, I've just never been a fan of the character. But, with that said I was never a fan of some characters that Marvel has brought from B & C rank characters to A ranked with their films. So.... maybe DC can pull it off too.

Captain Marvel/Shazam has never 'done it' for me. It's just not a character I've ever been able to take to. The comedic tone that's been mentioned doesn't really interest me either. But your point about what Marvel's been able to do with characters I never cared for in the comics (Ant-Man, and especially Captain America) has me thinking that I might just be pleasantly surprised. I can't see me going to the cinema for this but I'll probably buy the DVD for 'completeness'.

Yeah the way Marvel cranks out successful films out of third tier characters WB/DC doesn’t have much excuse. Plus we’re running out of Marvel stories that haven’t been done before.

Shazam can do well if the vibe is like other tv series/movies:

Big, obviously since its the same concept.

Stranger Things, with a cadre of kids like Billy and his foster family running around.

Spider-Man Homecoming, with a kid in awe of being a superhero. Freddy Freeman is probably gonna be like Ned from S-MH. “You’re like Superman?!?! Awesome!”

Seems like that’s the vibe Sandberg and co. are going for.

I'm sure we will get a trailer at Comic-Con.

I got my hands on the Shazam New 52 comic. Can't wait to read it. Love the character.

I'm curious what the tone of this movie will be. I feel like something lighthearted like Homecoming would really suit this character, but DC hasn't done well when they've delved into lighter territory with these characters (Green Lantern, Justice League) and I worry that it will come off too campy. The trouble is, Shazam isn't a character, I think, that you should go too dark or serious with unless you're making a Kingdom Come movie.

The costume alone should tell you it's in the Homecoming wheelhouse.

Yeah, New Line has its own team, though. But they're still a branch of Warner Bros. Pictures.
Anyway, they have been developing a Shazam movie for a long time, and they've kept the project.

[YT]pzD9zGcUNrw[/YT]

Same cinematographer as Shazam.

I’m very excited for this. Levels of anticipation-

1. Aquaman
2. Shazam
3. WW1984

I’m very excited for this. Levels of anticipation-

1. Aquaman
2. Shazam
3. WW1984

If It becomes true news later on that Henry Cavill is in this as Superman I'll go see it in theaters.

But as of right now:
1. Aquaman
2. WW 1984
3. Shazam

If It becomes true news later on that Henry Cavill is in this as Superman I'll go see it in theaters.

Shazam is one I'll no doubt buy for completeness but I can't see me going to the cinema for it. Unless the trailer shows something really amazing.

Can't wait for the teaser trailer at comic-con. It's inevitable since the film will be 9 months away from release.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"