Shazam Shazam User Review Thread (Tag Spoilers)

This movie was great. Sandberg, Levi, Strong, Angel and Grazer should all be proud of themselves because they put together a winner. This movie is an absolute blast and definitely my second favorite DCEU film after Wonder Woman. Everything in it really works and the movie has a ton of heart. My only complaint was that adult Billy sometimes feels more immature than kid Billy, but that may have been intentional. Also, maybe I missed something but where did Sivana get that door that he used?

I really hope this makes bank because I want a sequel with Black Adam and
Mr. Mind. I love that they aren’t afraid to embrace comic booky elements like a talking caterpillar!

9/10

This movie was great. Sandberg, Levi, Strong, Angel and Grazer should all be proud of themselves because they put together a winner. This movie is an absolute blast and definitely my second favorite DCEU film after Wonder Woman. Everything in it really works and the movie has a ton of heart. My only complaint was that adult Billy sometimes feels more immature than kid Billy, but that may have been intentional.Also, maybe I missed something but where did Sivana get that door that he used?

I really hope this makes bank because I want a sequel with Black Adam and
Mr. Mind. I love that they aren’t afraid to embrace comic booky elements like a talking caterpillar!

9/10

I had the EXACT same thoughts at times but I totally realized why so it didn't bother me as much. The performances evened out.
I really thought the actor who played adult Freddy had young Freddy's personality DOWN. Loved him.[/spoilers].

I had the EXACT same thoughts at times but I totally realized why so it didn't bother me as much. The performances evened out.
I really thought the actor who played adult Freddy had young Freddy's personality DOWN. Loved him.[/spoilers].

Yep, totally agree.
He was perfect; really seemed like the same character. Also, when adult Darla was talking to Santa I died. That was so great.

wow its amazing how easily pleased you all are. I was so looking forward to this. And i came out thinking how average it was. I mean, Billy the boy and billy the hero was like 2 different people altogether. It was like nobody bothered to talk to each other behind the scenes, or try to get it right. The action was boring. For those of you who think that this is amazing. How you ever seen a great movie before? This wasnt a great movie. 6 out of 10 at best.

To me, it was just a breath of air to enjoy a more personal and down to Earth film. The elements in play were handled very well and Sandberg got a great performance out of his cast. The message was really nice and the movie played just about where expectations stood for me. It wasn't an "OHMYGODGUYSJUSTWAITUNTILYOUSEETHIS!!!!!" superhero movie but in a weird way, I'm glad that it..wasn't..and enjoyed it more-so because of that. There was more than enough there in the movie to leave satisfied and excited to see what's next. My audience seemed to really enjoy it, especially a middle-aged dude behind me. He was having a blast lol (Theater was maybe 45% full. Mostly the top with some scatter. Nothing big.) I didn't have TOO many laugh out loud moments but there were a few parts where I busted. It was a nice blend of themes.

Yeah after Aquaman, which was a big CGI spectacle movie, this movie was needed, which had action but on a smaller scale, the movie gave some room to tell the story from the point of view of Billy Batson.

Yeah after Aquaman, which was a big CGI spectacle movie, this movie was needed, which had action but on a smaller scale, the movie gave some room to tell the story from the point of view of Billy Batson.

Most definitely. It also makes me excited to see Reeves' The Batman, only because after these huge tentpole films like Endgame, there is a big NEED for more smaller-scaled adaptations. By the time The Batman comes out, we will all be ready for a detective Batman-drivin film. The reception to Joker could also open up many avenues. Hopefully Shazam's sequel brings in The Rocks Black Adam where they can pump the budget a little more to have bigger action. At this pace, it can happen organically. I think WB is on the right path.

wow its amazing how easily pleased you all are. I was so looking forward to this. And i came out thinking how average it was. I mean, Billy the boy and billy the hero was like 2 different people altogether. It was like nobody bothered to talk to each other behind the scenes, or try to get it right. The action was boring. For those of you who think that this is amazing. How you ever seen a great movie before? This wasnt a great movie. 6 out of 10 at best.

Nice attitude. I guess 91% of critics are all morons too, huh? I wonder how any of us function in this complex world, given how simplistic we all are. Wise one, show us the way.

tumblr_nixbnvVsoq1qb0wv3o3_500.gif

All that vitriol and you still gave it a 6/10. lol

I think the character differences between the two Billys has been adequately explained by not only the folks on this forum, but the director as well. And I think the action wasn't the most important part of the film but rather the character work. This is a family film and generally speaking those don't rely on action scenes.

Yeah in the sequel, as Billy Batson grows up, he will act in a more mature way, which in turn cause Shazam (Captain Marvel) to act less like a kid, and he also get used to his powers.

Not saying that suddenly he will act like a 50 year old man, he will still do things that people his age do (teenagers) but there will be some character progression in terms of his behavior. For example - Tom Holland's Spider-Man in Civil War is more childish but in Infinity War, he is less so.

Just got back and I was very pleasantly surprised, I liked it! I especially enjoyed Zachary Levi as Shazam (or Captain Sparklefingers :D) and the kid that played Billy's foster brother/best friend (who also played Eddie in IT), they were both great and very funny playing off each other. In a way, I feel that Shazam is the antithesis to Aquaman, the former is little spectacle but all heart and personality, whereas the latter was all spectacle and no real heart or personality. I definitely know which I preferred. When Aquaman first came out I rated it 7/10, but on hindsight that later got knocked down to 5/10 because of the complete lack of interesting, likable characters. I now rate Shazam a strong 7/10 and have a feeling it will stay at that rating upon second viewing because I overall enjoyed it much more.

I saw this last night and loved it. It's pretty close between this and Wonder Woman for which is the best DCEU film, with Aquaman being third and MOS fourth (the rest trail behind). The performances were great, particularly Levi, Strong, Angel and Grazer, and it was thematically very strong.

Some minor complaints:
- For being arguably the second most important character in the franchise, Mary got shafted pretty hard. I hope the future films utilize her more. The New 52 arc this was mostly based on had her going up against Sabbac and dealing damage, but she didn't do much in the last action scene.
- Not wild in general about Dr. Sivana being a magic user and less of a mad scientist, but that's a carry over from the current direction in the comics. In isolation, his use here was still great.
- That cameo at the end was great, but was also bittersweet.

Other than that, an I'd say an 8.5/10.

It was just what I always thought a Shazam movie should be. Loved it! There's a Richard Donner-Superman The Movie charm to it crossed with 80's family films like Gremlins, The Monster Squad, Ghostbusters, and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Levi is so spot on on the role. I do wish there could have been a little better balance between his characterization and Angel's Billy, but it's a minor complaint. Mark Strong is delightfully wicked. Can't wait for more!

Tied with Wonder Woman as best DCEU movie. The relationship between Billy, Freddy and the rest of his family are the backbone of this movie and were genuinely touching. The superhero stuff was just as satisfying and it’s what made Shazam! a unique entry in the genre. Sivana had mixed reception from people but personally I really liked Mark Strong in the role. Overall, this film had me smiling, laughing and crying. If a movie can generate those emotions from me, I consider it job very well done. WB and DC need to make more movies like this.

9/10

It was just what I always thought a Shazam movie should be. Loved it! There's a Richard Donner-Superman The Movie charm to it crossed with 80's family films like Gremlins, The Monster Squad, Ghostbusters, and Something Wicked This Way Comes. Levi is so spot on on the role. I do wish there could have been a little better balance between his characterization and Angel's Billy, but it's a minor complaint. Mark Strong is delightfully wicked. Can't wait for more!

Agreed. People shouldn't expect a modern superhero movie as much as a superhero movie with the heart of an 80s film. It's really got the vibe of films like you mentioned (plus others like Adventures in Babysitting, Goonies, and obviously Big)- but modernized.

This film is the answer to anyone who thinks DC is ripping off Marvel with their lighter tone shift- Shazam is nothing like any Marvel film I've seen. Maybe vaguely in terms of mood its at the level of Ant-Man, but stylistically, thematically, DC is really doing its own thing here in superhero terms.

Agreed. People shouldn't expect a modern superhero movie as much as a superhero movie with the heart of an 80s film. It's really got the vibe of films like you mentioned (plus others like Adventures in Babysitting, Goonies, and obviously Big)- but modernized.

This film is the answer to anyone who thinks DC is ripping off Marvel with their lighter tone shift- Shazam is nothing like any Marvel film I've seen. Maybe vaguely in terms of mood its at the level of Ant-Man, but stylistically, thematically, DC is really doing its own thing here in superhero terms.
Totally. There's also the focus on more self-contained storytelling and director-driven approach to films with a little less concern for a "connected" universe that I hope they keep pursuing.

Seriously, grow the hell up! Using a review to personally attack and belittle those with different opinions who enjoyed the movie is just juvenile and rude.

Saw the movie last night and liked it overall. 7/10 for me. Very enjoyable and entertaining entry in the DCEU, and larger DC film pantheon.

On the subject of Zachary Levi's Shazam vs Asher Angel's Billy Batson, I kinda have to say that Shazam's personality seemed closer to Freddy's. Or in other words, it would've been more believable if Jack Dylan Grazer had played teenage Billy Batson instead, and Asher Angel had played Freddy. Not that it was a complaint of mine anyway, but just an observation after reading this thread. ;)

I saw the movie in a semi-packed theater and the two biggest crowd moments were when
all the foster kids got shazam'd into superheroes
and during the mid-credits sequence when
Superman's chest appeared
. I had a feeling my audience was anticipating seeing
Cavill there but when his face didn't show, it took the sails out of that impact. Man it would've been SO much better if Cavill had appeared for that scene!

I had a really good time watching this. It was quite moving at times, especially at the beginning and towards the end. Some parts did go on a bit. It took a while for Billy to really become the superhero. The foster family was fantastic, the whole set up and world. There was heart to this movie and that is one of its greatest strengths. It did switch gears a lot. I was involved in the foster family drama, and then it changed to the superhero stuff. But most of the movie has an ease and charm and that is what is appealing. I am not sure it will be appealing to more serious superhero fans. It's more of a family/children's film. But it did all that well.

I know what people mean when they say that Zachary Levi and Jack Dylan Grazer (Freddy) have more similar personalities. It's that stuttery, nervous funny energy. Someone even mentioned that when the trailers came out. But they were both great as an duo and Asher Angel is a strong lead. But Jack Dylan Grazer is such a great actor. I really look forward to more Freddy Freeman.

They say the truth hurts. Im not calling anyone a moron. Time will tell that this movie is flat. It's my honest opinion of it. I'm not trolling. I was really looking forward to it. Wonder Woman is a much better movie in my opinion. I didn't like aquaman . Like watching a cartoon .

It's best if you remember this simple fact......not everyone will share your opinions about everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"