Rate and review The Marvels

Reaction score
I don't know if there's advanced screenings or movie premiere for this, but the movie is out in less than 24 hours, from where I live. I'll be posting my review tomorrow.

Also I think we can use this as the spoiler thread, but just keep the spoilers in a spoiler tag. So people can still read the reviews/ratings without being spoiled.

Higher! :this: Faster! :cat: Further! :fireworks: Marveler! :sunny:

I enjoyed the film. Some dodgy vfX effects (like Monica's 1st flying scene) and the story felt quite undercooked in some areas.
Queen of Hala destroying those two planets should have more weight in them, but for some reason, they just glossed over those moments. When Queen of Hala was going to take our own sun, it lacked tension during the climaX. There is also no eXplanation about why those two bracelets were separated in the first place?

Also that Kate Bishop cameo was out of place. There was no scene in the movie, that teased a potential Young Avengers and Kamala just moved to Louisiana, for her to be playing Nick Fury.

Over all, I enjoyed the film. At best, its a 7 out of 10. The three leads were good. Nick Fury was there. Dar-Benn was quite 1 dimensional and wasn't really developed. The pacing was bit off at times, but there's plenty of fun moments sprinkled throughout the film and oh the mid credits scene.

:sadcat:

Studio Marvel are really going to tease these mutants for years, before they finally get their own movie huh.

I almost freaked out when i saw Beast, because I thought that spoiler was fake when I saw the other Mama Rambeau. I watched this 6pm wednesday and the theater was half fulled. But the Beast had some loud reaction from the audience. I can't believe after all these years Kelsey Grammar is returning to the Beast role from 2006 to 2014 to 2023. I feel like the original cast that aren't Hugh and Patrick were heavily underused post X3, so for that cast to potentially be part of the ongoing MCU is massive! Kevin Feige and company are so generous for bringing back these actors.

I unfortunately did not like The Marvels. It's a shame because I really like Iman and Teyonah and wanted this to be a home run for them and Brie. I will commend that they took a couple swings that I appreciate but yeah, didn't land for me.

That said it's mercifully short and it does legitimately feel chopped up. There are delightful parts but some painful scenes. I hope Iman, Teyonah and Brie have another shot.

Loved the post credit though. Oh my stars and garters, the return of Kelsey Grammar's Beast was delightful. And the X door from the FoX-Men universe. Good lead in for next year's Deadpool.

Also thought Teyonah did a great job in the scene and felt like the most earned emotional moment thinking she got her mother back.

Ok folks. Let's do it. Let's retcon ***** and reveal he's truly Quicksilver somehow ripped by Wanda into the MCU universe.

I thought it was a short, fun, movie. I really liked Kamala. Some things were ridiculous but they made smile so I just went with it.

The musical planet princess, and the flurken (sp?)

The villain was kind of bland. But I can see myself rewatching this.

Also did anyone notice that

under his lab coat, Beast was wearing traditional comic book uniform? Also it was nice to see Kate Bishop

Overall I'll go 7/10

sop0yHb.jpg

The Marvels

Iman Vellani must be in pain for carrying an entire movie on her back.

MY FULL REVIEW
3.5/5

I didn't think it was terrible

I hated the musical planet, my least favorite scene in MCU. It felt forced and out of place.

Besides that nothing bothered me in the movie. Kamala(Iman) was the best and really helped in getting me to care. The interaction with the 3 was really good. The rest of the movie like story, Fury, side characters, and villains were just there they didn't move anything.

I did enjoy the movie more than Eternals, Ant-Man 3, and Thor L&T

I enjoyed it a lot. There was one scene that took me entirely out of the movie (others have already mentioned it), but it's a comics reference so I understand why it's there. When I saw it in the trailer, I thought they were going for a Bollywood thing (given the popularity of Ms. Marvel in Pakistan). Unfortunately, it went on too long.

That being said, everything else worked for me. The one scene on the Saber station (with a brilliant song choice from a musical) was the absolute highlight. Villain was a bit of a letdown, but I didn't mind that at all. She didn't need to be great for the movie to work.

Ideally, the music planet should have been really fun. The problem is the eXecution and they didn't really do an eXtra mile for those musical segments. It would have been a lot more fun, if they were like, this is the singing segment and we are going to sing for 20 minutes. Brie sang for like 20 seconds and they ended it there.

I enjoyed it but it was like a fast food movie full of sugar.

It did a good job of making me laugh, everyone's chemistry was great but good lord! It basically gave me a cavity with how sweet it was. Its like if Captain Marvel + Glee + cats + lisa frank had a baby.

Needed some more depth.

7/10.

Kamala just moved to Louisiana
Just fyi, it was Carol that moved to Louisiana, not Kamala. Her family was just helping her move for reasons ('m assuming the director/writer just wanted to have an excuse to include them, which is fine).

Anyway, It's not as bad as some critics are making it out to be but it's not great either. Even though I would just say it's just fine, I did have an enjoyable time watching it. I liked Carol in this and felt like she did have a bit more personality her than previous appearences but I still feel like her performance is crippled by the amnesia choice they made in the 1st movie. I don't feel like I get a real sense of who her character is, at least in comparision to Kamala and Monica anway. I don't think that's on Brie though, I think she's just working with what she has. If they do a 3rd movie, I hope they really do an overhaul with her.

I understood the vilain's motivation but a quick speech and flashback wasn't nearly enough. I think she needed a bit more focus to give her some dimension. Also Kamala and her family were very much the MVPs of the movie. I wish the movie had a bit more of Kamala's day dreaming/drawing injected into the movie, just to give it a bit more flair (maybe for the ending).

Overall I'm wavering between a 6.5 and 7/10. I didn't mind the short run time but I feel if they had a few extra scenes to help flesh the villain and Carol's arc, it would greatly benefited from it.

I think the biggest downfall for the movie is we had various planets meeting certain destruction and then the team would be giggling together 2 seconds later as if they just didn't witness thousands dying.

And after the glee planet, they're a total afterthought and i think get a throwaway line?

It was a lot of fun but definitely could’ve benefited greatly by adding another 20 minutes. 7.5 out of 10.
Beast looks great!

This was painfully average just like antman3. It seems like the MCU is just coasting until the next Avengers movie. And unless those Avengers movies bring something mind blowing I think the MCU is on the way out.

As I stated in my previous post. I enjoyed the film but it wasn’t anything mind-blowing or expansively entertaining. I found it to be the shortest film to date and while I don’t need a 3 hour film. This film had a lot of pacing issues as well as story beats that are missing. At least it was better than Love and Thunder as well as Quatummaina but again that’s not saying much.

It's a solid B from me. It was goofy and I liked that. Carol and Monica are great characters. While I didn't care for Ms. Marvel, I did like Kamala's interactions with her family so I'm glad they brought that here, even though it took up so much time.

Loved the after credit scene and can't wait to see where that goes.

In my tiers The Marvels will be a buy the DVD with watch if I happen to come across on TV or ignore as the lower levels.

I dont know, it felt like a B-Movie, a sunday morning cartoon. And Im sad, because I love Ms. Marvel, she always made me smile and her interaction with Carol and her family were adorable. I also think the ressource-stealing plot was an interesting idea (besides the uninteresting villain itself).

On the other hand, the conflict between Monica and Carol was solved too fast, it was just a little hug and everything is fine again? Come on.. We are not in a highbrow drama movie, but explore a conflict a little bit more. The singing planet was totally cringe for me, sorry. Fury was just "there" and feels superfluous.

The more I think about it, the more I think despite not me being a fan of the film itself that I'd revisit this more than Captain Marvel. I think my favorite parts are when the 3 leading ladies interact.

If only
-They fleshed out Dar-Benn.
-The aftermath of the two planets being destroyed (which according to Carol, were both her homes) should have had a big impact on Carol.
-They eXecuted the dramatic moments between Carol/Monica much better.

I can't think of an improvement for Nick Fury and Goose. Maybe Nick Fury should have been given more depth, playing as a voice of reason? He was just there for me.

I still don't know why Goose suddenly gave birth to many flerkens and why the spacestation suddenly collapsed. That entire segment didn't really have anything to do with the main conflict. The cat sequence was fun, but maybe if DarBenn attacked the space station and Goose didn't suddenly give birth to those flerkens/kittens, it would have been better. Earlier in the movie, Goose seemed to be having stomach problem. But the cat escape sequence felt like a plot convenience.

The Prince also should have been given more to do, as he just disappeared and was never seen again. I'm assuming he was killed.

I just saw it tonight, for me it is a 5 out of 10 for the main body of the film, pushed up to 6.5 or 7 by the mid-credits scene. The main film is very fluffy and insubstantial and although the CGI was pretty flawless it felt very cartoonish and a bit meaningless - huge cosmic events had no real weight. It was like the theatrical version of background music at times, you could watch it while doing something else because it rarely gripped you with anything of real substance. The music planet was ridiculous - so Disney and so out of place.

The climax was decent enough mostly because it led to the 'YESSS!' moment of the mid-credits sequence.

At least it was better than the dreadful Ant-Man Quantumania which i'd give 4 out of 10 at a push.

Loved, loved, loved the appearance of Beast, clearly hinting at a follow-up - I hope. But it's slightly puzzling at this stage that Monica's mum Maria is seemingly now Binary, at least judging from the costume - however, I suppose Binary could be anyone that gets genetically experimented on by The Brood (if that's even the origin they go with) and doesn't have to be Carol Danvers

It seems like most people are on the same page. Its the worst kind of movie: one that elicits no emotional response.

Its not terrible like Catwoman. Its not great like Avengers. Its not even divisive like BvS.

Its just.... there. As a big giant nothing that you forget as soon as it ends.

Reposting from the news/discussion thread:

I thought this movie was pretty great, so much better than CM1. I don't understand at all how this has a lower Box Office, RT and Cinemascore than the first movie

The leads were all great, especially Iman Vellani, Every line she spoke was gold. The supporting players were top notch too (Kamala's family is a treasure and Samuel L was back in top form). The action was great, there were a couple wonky CGI shots (mostly flying scenes) but overall decent. The Cinematography was nothing to write home about but all in all I thought it was a pretty nice looking movie.

Dar-benn was... fine. Her motivations were understandable, and I thoroughly hated her by the end of the movie which implies Zawe Ashton was pretty effective in the role. She was definitely not a top tier villain but she held it down. I do agree Jude Law or even Minn-erva probably would've made for a better villain though, they could've tied in to the themes better as the messed up "found family" Carol walked away from.

And yeah, the credit scene was pretty exciting.

I'd give it a 7.5-8/10, and rank it towards the top of the post-endgame films
My top 5 would probably be:
1. No Way Home
2. GOTG 3
3. Shang-Chi
4. The Marvels
5. Wakanda Forever

Just finished my screening an hour ago and I thought the movie was very entertaining. In some ways better than the first film and some ways not but it’s definitely not the best MCU film or the worse so it sits right in the middle for me. Yeah but this was still enjoyable and I can’t wait to watch it again once it lands on Disney+. Also I saw a leaked version of post credits scene and seeing it in theaters was even better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"