Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - Part 1

I don't think it's going to happen. I feel like if they wanted to make the sequel, they would've done it by now. My guess is that the budget would be huge in order to bring back Downey and Jude Law because they are both going to want a raise.

Thing is, Silver needs this hit and that's why it'll happen and that's why they've brought together a writing roundtable to ensure that it's the best that it can be. There were some bumps lately with the drop from Warners. Nice Guys sadly wasn't a run away train. So in a market of specs and needing a success to regain steady legs- right now, Sherlock isn't just wanted it's needed and no matter the cost it's the best looking prospect on that table. Which is why I'm 110% certain it's gonna happen and you're gonna hear a lot more news coming relatively soon because as far as I can tell this project isn't just happening, it's being fast-tracked because they need to bounce back and Sherlock is the steadiest deck to do that with. As said, from the inside intell I have I'm not surprised at all that this is happening nor like this because it feels like it's what is absolutely needed and would help more than a great deal at this time.

Last edited:
Thing is, Silver needs this hit and that's why it'll happen and that's why they've brought together a writing roundtable to ensure that it's the best that it can be. There were some bumps lately with the drop from Warners. Nice Guys sadly wasn't a run away train. So in a market of specs and needing a success to regain steady legs- right now, Sherlock isn't just wanted it's needed and no matter the cost it's the best looking prospect on that table. Which is why I'm 110% certain it's gonna happen and you're gonna hear a lot more news coming relatively soon because as far as I can tell this project is being fast tracked.

Sorry if I'm somewhat skeptical and not ready to take your word for it.

Except Warner Bros. is investing a lot of time, money and resources elsewhere between Fantastic Beasts and DC Universe. It's been five years since the last movie.

Just seems like the brass at Warner Bros. isn't eager to get this one done and they've been dragging their feet. Is a roundtable really going to ensure this gets made? Do writing roundtables ever truly ensure that a movie is going to happen and be a hit?

Warners is the Studio. They send notes. They hardly focus on a single film. Especially Sherlock. Neither of the last two, or at least the last one, saw heavy involvement with Warners. They send script notes, maybe visit the set, offer some more notes during and after but largely that's it. Maybe the big big tentpole films like the HP films and the DC films do, but Sherlock 2 a vast portion of that was on the team at Silver Pictures and Downey. They oversaw production of it, not Warners. Warners might not need it, but they're largely and especially in this case a distributor. All they have to do is release it, that's mostly all they do now anyway in terms of its films. Joel Silver does need it and his team, and others, are by and large the ones responsible for these films.

Last edited:
The Sherlock films were big tentpoles.

For Silver Pictures. Yes. For Warners they were big, but they were never part of the select group of films they actively oversaw. Warners basically just sent notes. Maybe they're more actively involved in their other larger franchises like DC and HP. But, with Sherlock they weren't. They gave notes and distributed. 95% of that work was the production companies with Warner basically peeking their head in from time to time.

Alright, we'll see though. If he needed it so badly, seems he should've prioritized doing this film earlier.

Alright, we'll see though. If he needed it so badly, seems he should've prioritized doing this film earlier.

A lot was hedged on The Nice Guys. I mean, everyone even on here thought/hoped that was going to pull in major numbers. Be the new tent pole franchise for him. It looked to have everything going for it. Sadly, that wasn't the case. So, in the aftermath - Sherlock is all around the safest bet available.

Last edited:
That sounds strange to me. The Nice Guys was good, don't get me wrong, but it was lower budget R-rated comedic thriller. It wasn't a movie that screamed "tentpole franchise." Especially considering it came out in the middle of the blockbuster season and had a $50 million budget.

Shane Black. Ryan Gosling, Russel Crowe. And even look at the marketing push that film had. Not to mention it was seen as an attempted resurrection. Remember before that film came out, Joel Silver was outed from Warner Bros. He got in leagues with Universal and moved his company off that lot and into a new location. There were shake ups. It was really rough waves that Joel had to deal with coming off of that. So yeah, The Nice Guys was seen as a resurrection of sorts that was very much needed especially at that point in time since it was the film that followed that bump. Sadly, it wasn't but if it did yeah you would have heard sequel news rapidly following it and a big push forward.

Also, a lot of news isn't made public until later in the game. There's definitely been a lot of talks. There's been development on it, most of the time drafts and etc aren't news stories in production companies. Now they're just really focusing on nailing it and speeding that process along as the writer room shows. Kinda a drastic measure, no film has done that before. Franchises with planned multi sequels yeah, a single film no. A big complication I heard with A Game Of Shadows was nailing the script, that it took a while to get right. What I'm seeing right now is full guns blazing, looking to nail that sucker as fast as possible with some of the best help that they can get on doing it. News may have been slow coming out. But I can easily see how it worked into that position and why took a massive leap like it just did. Basically it was always going to come out, that's no question - talks never stopped about it. But with Nice Guys not bringing in what was hoped, now it's not just driving in Sherlock's direction but speeding towards it as seen in an unprecedented move full speed ahead.

Warners may not be ontop of it. But they weren't the last either. Silver and the production companies involved however, well they just laid their hand out as it were. And it comes as no surprise either.

Last edited:
Shane Black's a very good director IMO, but he's not exactly Chris Nolan either. It was only his third movie as a director. His first movie, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was not a big blockbuster.

Ryan Gosling, good actor. But he's also not Leoanrdo DiCaprio either. I wouldn't say he's a top box office draw. Neither is Russell Crowe at this point.

The marketing push for the movie wasn't that substantial.

For Silver, in comparison to it's other films of recent years, it was. From a Joel Silver stand point one of his most notable films was Lethal Weapon. I'm not saying it was expected to blow up huge, but it was expected to help steady a rocky ship which it didn't do. Without that it did create a question of what's next that can help steady things.

As said Sherlock was always being worked on, but you can see the cause/effect/push from the fall out of the disappointing box office return from Nice Guys. That focused even more urgency on Sherlock which probably began as more and faster drafts and when that wasn't turning up exactly as wanted this move was decided to be the next best step and because it's news worthy it's just coming out now. As said, each script draft isn't written about in the news. Just big pushes like this. So that speed up to this didn't make the news.

I can definitely feel that the tension over what's next was there. As said, I knew this Sherlock news story (not this exact one, but something) was gonna follow sometime after Nice Guys to signal a big push forward out of necessity. And that definitely is this.

Last edited:
I bought this release of the two films:

6956a466a388.jpg

And discovered that in the first film, for this blu-ray rerelease, WB replaced the original voice actor of Moriarty with Jared Harris's voice.

Loved Jared Harris as Moriarty. He deserved a better film.

For Silver, in comparison to it's other films of recent years, it was. From a Joel Silver stand point one of his most notable films was Lethal Weapon. I'm not saying it was expected to blow up huge, but it was expected to help steady a rocky ship which it didn't do. Without that it did create a question of what's next that can help steady things.

As said Sherlock was always being worked on, but you can see the cause/effect/push from the fall out of the disappointing box office return from Nice Guys. That focused even more urgency on Sherlock which probably began as more and faster drafts and when that wasn't turning up exactly as wanted this move was decided to be the next best step and because it's news worthy it's just coming out now. As said, each script draft isn't written about in the news. Just big pushes like this. So that speed up to this didn't make the news.

I can definitely feel that the tension over what's next was there. As said, I knew this Sherlock news story (not this exact one, but something) was gonna follow sometime after Nice Guys to signal a big push forward out of necessity. And that definitely is this.
Well we are in 2018 now, and still no movement on a sequel. I doubt it ever happens.

Warner Bros. Dates ‘Sherlock Holmes 3’ For Christmas 2020
http://deadline.com/2018/05/warner-bros-dates-sherlock-holmes-3-for-christmas-2020-1202384395/
Warner Bros. has just made it official that they’re releasing Sherlock Holmes 3 on Dec. 25, 2020.

Robert Downey Jr. has been talking about a threequel in the press and the project is bound to happen with Jude Law also returning. No word yet on whether Guy Ritchie is set to return as director.

Chris Brancato is credited as screenwriter with Joel Silver, Susan Downey and Lionel Wigram returning as producers.

Interestingly enough, Sherlock Holmes 3 is scheduled to arrive days after the Dec. 18 opening of Avatar 2. The first Sherlock Holmes proved tough following in the wake of the first Avatar during the 2009 holiday season, opening also on Christmas and ultimately making $209M stateside to the James Cameron pic’s $749.7M (it’s original stateside gross).

Well, how about that.

I am way more happy about this then I should be. But here we are. :woot:

Count me surprised. I never thought they'd get around to making a third one.

The only way I’ll be interested is if it involves him finding an inter dimensional wormhole and he meets Cumberbatch’s Sherlock.

The only way I’ll be interested is if it involves him finding an inter dimensional wormhole and he meets Cumberbatch’s Sherlock.

Ian McKellen as Sherlock Sr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"