Should Captain America be acted by an American actor

To be honest, I dont even see why this thread is even up for debate, let alone lasting 5 odd pages. Cap will be played by an American actor. The real question is, should he be a known or unknown actor?

To be honest, I dont even see why this thread is even up for debate, let alone lasting 5 odd pages. Cap will be played by an American actor. The real question is, should he be a known or unknown actor?

Unknown...

I think Marvel loves famous or semi-famous actors.

So semi-famous actor for the win.

With all the Americans actors available there s no reason to look else where. He should be American period.

I predict a backlash (from media, comic readers, US citizens) against Marvel if it goes hiring foreign actors from the start.

MGM can do it with James Bond, JK Rowling can do it with Harry Potter, why can't Marvel do it from Captain America?

This debate seems kind of silly. I haven't heard of Marvel specifically looking for foreign actors. And I don't think anybody is saying, "No, he should not be played by an American." If he is he is, if he isn't so what? It should be about the performance.

And really, how many great performances have we seen from British actors in Comic movies? Almost all the cast from Batman Begins, the guy who played Doc Ock, Ian McKellen, whats-his-face who played Nightcrawler (I'm drawing a blank on his name), and we have the dudes from Fantastic Four, and Eric Bana and Hugh Jackman who are from Australia.

Captain America will still be from America, it doesn't matter if the actor is.

I dont hate but i dont like some of the roles he chooses, but I have to agree people whom Tell me who they think should play CAPT. and I mentioned it as well. Matt Damon. I can honestly see it.

This poll should have a 3rd option: Doesn't Matter.

These are actors portraying characters they are NOT. I have no issue with Cap benig portrayed by someone from another Country if he's the best choice. If an Aussie can play Wolverine & The Hulk...why not.

These are actors portraying characters they are NOT. I have no issue with Cap benig portrayed by someone from another Country if he's the best choice. If an Aussie can play Wolverine & The Hulk...why not.

Wolverine isn't called The Canadian Wolverine, now is he?

As I've said before, there's not a single person in this entire thread that can give 1 good reason as to why Captain America should NOT be played by an American actor. There are millions of actors in AMERICA, this is the ONLY place where they should even hold a casting call for the role. I've yet to see any casting calls for a Harry Potter film in America. In fact, JK Rowling won't even allow the casting of Americans in the Potter films. I don't have a single problem with that...because every actor and actress they will possibly need can all be found in the UK. The same applies for Captain America.

Let's see how the Brits respond if they got Danny Trejo to play Captain Britain.

Captain America should be played by the best "actor" for the job. I'm sure he'll most likely be American anyways so it doesn't really matter.

Actually it does matter.

It does matter to me, to the media, comic readers. Selecting British actors from the start creates negative reaction. On the other hand, if US actors are selected no one would resent that. So in order to avoid negativity, Marvel has to try finding good US actors first. If Marvel can't find them then it's okay to move on to British actors. I'm sure people would understand if Marvel makes an effort to pick US actors.

Normally I'd never give a crap (I read some imdb article 'bout someing b****ing about Batman actors being British)...BUT it's Captain America...?

That's like making a Yank be James Bond.

Kind of a no brainer there

Actually it does matter.
It does matter to me, to the media, comic readers. Selecting British actors from the start creates negative reaction. On the other hand, if US actors are selected no one would resent that. So in order to avoid negativity, Marvel has to try finding good US actors first. If Marvel can't find them then it's okay to move on to British actors. I'm sure people would understand if Marvel makes an effort to pick US actors.

Why would it create negative reaction to cast a British actor? As long as he doesn't have a distracting accent...
He would just portrait an American soldier, it doesn't have to be his actual nationality.
As Advanced Dark said they will cast a US actor in any event... but even if he wouldn't be American however can play the role there's no problem.

^ Somebody would blather in the forums, media would comment on the decision saying here comes "Captain 'Britain'", comic websites would bemoan the decision. Now compared if a right American actor becomes Captain America. Will you see a foreigner protests on the decision because he deems that "all good actors must come from the British Isles"? No I don't think so, because people have no problem if Captain America acted by good American actors.

I'm not anti non-US actors in comics or even Cap America after some waiting period. Batman is fine with Chris Bale and I'm hoping Black Panther is acted by UK actor Chiwetel Ejiofor. But for a comic named Captain America which is actually already there as a propaganda comic during the World War II there should be a degree of sacredness about it.

Well, people will always bash in forums anyway and as for the media... I seriously don't care about the tabloids. Why would you give a ****?

I'm content with an American actor, just don't think it's really the most important criterion. As long as he's a believable Steve Rogers on screen, I'm fine with it... likewise I could live with an American actor playing James Bond.

Well, people will always bash in forums anyway and as for the media... I seriously don't care about the tabloids. Why would you give a ****?

I'm content with an American actor, just don't think it's really the most important criterion. As long as he's a believable Steve Rogers on screen, I'm fine with it... likewise I could live with an American actor playing James Bond.

I give a damn because I consider the alternative where nobody has issues if Marvel prioritizes American actors.

I’m optimistic if Marvel limits the search to the subset of only American actors, they’d find a good candidate. There are thousands of famous and non-famous American actors in LA, NYC, Miami, and other major cities who would want the role. Guys in this forum are saying Damon, Pitt, McConaughey, Lewis, etc. Those are American actors. Which are damn better candidates for Captain America than short James Bond Daniel Craig, “can’t do American accent so far” Clive Owen, or “yeah you see him looking good bare-chested, you’ll see him everywhere” Gerard Butler.

My problem he s not the acting but rather the accent. I just saw the movie Yuma and even if Russel Crow did a good performance he couldn't hide His Aussie accent...I generally don't mind but in a western movie it s different thing. Cap shouldn't have any accent...Anyways with so many American actors I don't know where else you can go.

I hope he doesn't have a redneck accent...

I m certainly not a red neck if you were talking to me???:huh:

I was just saying that I like things to be close to the comics if cap is American try first to find an american before taking a foreign actor. If Thor is 6.6 try to find a guy that is 6.4 + before taking for example brad pitt!!!

:huh: :huh: Why would Cap have a redneck accent in the first place? He's from NY.

Secondly, even though I honestly believe that an American unknown actor will get the role (thankfully) I'm willing to bet that if Bale wasn't batman and he got the role of Cap, you'd all be rejoicing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"