Should James Gunn direct a Justice League International movie?

The Lazarus Pit

The Boy Wonder
Reaction score
How would people feel about a James Gunn-directed Justice League International film? With his sensibilities, I feel like he’s the perfect choice to direct.

Quite a few members of the team have already been cast, and the movie could look a bit like this:

James Gunn presents
:
JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL
B860AB5C-FC17-42D3-A3EB-6721B1F8CB0D.jpeg

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
It might not be the best idea from a business or marketing perspective. Nonetheless, I'd probably watch it.

I think it could provide a big breath of fresh air that DC needs, Gunn is great as weaving a story between multiple characters and I'd trust him to spread the spotlight evenly between characters like Batman and Superman and the rest of the League

For God's sake, NO! Don't let this creep ruin more DC properties. He already did enough damage with his Pedo Squad.

Not when we still haven't had a good film with the traditional Justice League.
I can't see us ever truly getting that though; all the characters are too big in their own right that fans all have their expectations of what they'll want to see, and the majority of them won't quite get it.

Do they recast Bruce Wayne, use Patterson somehow, or convince Keaton to stick around if Affleck is out?

Would Gadot and Mamoa be up for extending their contracts with WB? They'll likely each have their own trilogy, but that'll be another three films for a proper JL set of stories.

Would Fisher work with WB again? Would Snyder be involved? Would they use Cavil again or recast him too?

If, and that's a big if. If there's another JL it'll have to be a self contained piece either on HBO Max or a film trilogy independent of the DCEU.

I just don't see how the current films - and characters working together.

*sees thread title*

2io77Sh.gif

Yeah. I just read the mid1980’s Justice League International run. I don’t want to see superheroes behaving badly for 2 hours.
I thought Guy was the only one behaving poorly, and Beetle and Booster were a pair of goofballs most of the times.

Justice League Europe is another thing entirely.

But yeah, no, I don't want another movie like his boring Suicide Squad with unpleasant people.

I thought Guy was the only one behaving poorly, and Beetle and Booster were a pair of goofballs most of the times.

Justice League Europe is another thing entirely.

But yeah, no, I don't want another movie like his boring Suicide Squad with unpleasant people.
Guy was definitely the worst offender. But really no one outside of Martian Manhunter was painted in a positive light. Batman was abusive, Ted Kord was incompetent, Black Canary’s depiction was an all out character assassination. She varied between damsel in distress to frequent recipient of verbal and physical sexual harassment. But she never was shown to have any level of utility besides being a token dumb blond. I still don’t know what Mister Miracle was doing there, but it seemed that the writers didn’t even understand his skill set.
The whole thing was a hot mess and everyone came away looking bad.

How would people feel about a James Gunn-directed Justice League International film? With his sensibilities, I feel like he’s the perfect choice to direct.

What do you guys think?

Abso'freakin'lutely he should make that! That source material would is pitch-perfect for him.

It would make a better series, though. At its best, JLI was as much sitcom as superhero story. Yeah they saved the world every now and then, but the best parts were in between. When they were bored at the embassy getting on each other's nerves.

It would have to break off from the Snyderverse, or whatever you call the regular DC Films continuity. Sticking to those casting decisions would kill it, (especially Pedro Pascal's version of Maxwell Lord. Lee Pace would be make a perfect Maxwell lord) Set it in a world where the old Justice League of America was founded in the 1960 by all the Iconic Heroes, but they got old or moved on and that league broke up. Maxwell Lord forms a new League with an international charter by recruiting/manipulating a bunch of misfit D-list heroes. They are living in the shadow of the classic silver age Justice League of America. They somehow manage to pull together to be greater than the some of their parts, despite annoying the crap out of each other.

I like your suggestion of Danny DeVito as Oberon. I would have said Peter Dinklage, because he's short and Peter Dinklage is the hot name in little people; but that's just studio mentality. Now I'm embarrassed to have thought of it. DeVito is more outside the box, and yet a better fit at the same time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"