Should SM3 be darker

Red

King Littlefinger
Reaction score
while i do enjoy the spidey films ( the first more than the second). I had hoped that SM2 might have gone darker. I know Spideys not a dark character , but for me at times (mostly in 2) its was bit too kiddish, i'm not saying the the movie should go from a PG13 to an R and, I know that the movies get most of their money from kids. But i'm hoping the story in 3 is darker and deeper, but still in tone to the previous movies.

thoughts?

If you factor in the whole "Harry's gonna probably want revenge" factor, then yeah, it should, and probably will be, darker.

Brother vs. Brother. Peter and MJ together... til death do they part. Yep. Definitely will be darker... and should be too.

Some say SM2 was darker than SM1. I don't. While neither were particularly that dark, I think SM1 was much more moving... dramatic. SM2 concentrated on the love aspect of Peter and MJ too much. With that resolved (together), they can concentrate on more moving pieces in the storyline.

If Venom is truely in this one...then i think this is a "no duh" situation...

Doctor Goblipus said:
No, I think the tones great. Save the darkness for Batman.

Spider-Man can be very dark. Unlike DC's Batman and Superman (which are their Dark and Light properties) Spider-Man can go both light and dark and still maintain the right tone.

Threshold said:
Spider-Man can be very dark. Unlike DC's Batman and Superman (which are their Dark and Light properties) Spider-Man can go both light and dark and still maintain the right tone.

Absolutely. I don't think it's a question of making the whole movie darker, just darker in the right places.

They should try concentraiting on making SM3 a decent film - once they hit that nail on the head, then yes, go darker.

spider-man doesn't need to be darker or lighter or whatever, what it needs to be is faithful to the source material and not deviate from the core aesthetics, which now, will never happen.....at least not while Raimi is directing anyway.

Doctor Goblipus said:
No, I think the tones great. Save the darkness for Batman.

Spidy3 has harry wanting revenge and venom,so it should be darker,but yes leave the darkness to DD,Batman,and GR!

I thought Spider-Man 2 was fairly dark, and I loved it. The ending was the happiest part of the movie, and that's only because MJ dumped her fiance at the altar and went to Peter.

Granted, it would be fantastic to see something so dark in the vien of Torment or Kraven's Last Hunt on screen, but I doubt it will ever happen.

Darker than the candy floss and sweet sugar pie with a side of bubble-gum ice-cream we've gotten so far? Yes, I think so. Not that it should exactly be "dark".... it should have dark moments... but where it's at right now is just ridiculous. The only way Spider-Man 2 can not be called a waste of a movie in such an intense trilogy is if Spider-Man 3 takes all the emotion that's been built and twists it in each and every scene.

There's no need to revisit Aunt May's backyard (so to speak...)
There's no need to see Pete fumble over his words with MJ...
There's no need to see them awkward anymore: "I do, but I don't..."
There's no need for them to NOT deal with the issues...

And for crying out loud, if he doesn't change his opening monologue to something much better, there'll be no more need for Sam Raimi's vision in the Spider-Man franchise.

I don't see how Raimi could use Venom or Harry's Downfall to Gobby or both and it not be darker. These parts of the story, to me, have to be grim. Grim to the sound of pigs being slaughtered. The End

Threshold said:

Very well said! :spidey:

The thing about Spider-Man is, I think, the story can be as dark as you want it to be, as long as Spider-Man himself, is still rather light. I do hope SM3 is the darkest film. I don't want Spider-Man or Peter to turn into...Batman/Bruce Wayne, but the events around him, and the villains, etc. can be darker, and I hope they're darker.

The only dark parts I can think of in the first two films include doc ock's murdering the hospital workers and the goblin transformation in the lab. Otherwise the tone seemed more upbeat in the first, more dramatic in the second, which I liked. The question plauging me is, what kind of tone will the third have, with dark aspects or not?

Yeah it should be darker since the symbiote is black...or if you believe the rumors a ugly dark purple. In either case it is darker. However sand isn't very dark except in the black sand beaches of Hawaii. Maybe Marvel will cast an African American as Volcanic Sand Man and then the movie will be even darker.

Kipobe said:
Darker than the candy floss and sweet sugar pie with a side of bubble-gum ice-cream we've gotten so far? Yes, I think so. Not that it should exactly be "dark".... it should have dark moments... but where it's at right now is just ridiculous. The only way Spider-Man 2 can not be called a waste of a movie in such an intense trilogy is if Spider-Man 3 takes all the emotion that's been built and twists it in each and every scene.

There's no need to revisit Aunt May's backyard (so to speak...)
There's no need to see Pete fumble over his words with MJ...
There's no need to see them awkward anymore: "I do, but I don't..."
There's no need for them to NOT deal with the issues...

And for crying out loud, if he doesn't change his opening monologue to something much better, there'll be no more need for Sam Raimi's vision in the Spider-Man franchise.

:up: :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"