Should The Hulk Be The Villain In The Avengers? You Decide, Says Hulk Director

Sarg92

Ouch!
Reaction score
Thanks to HULKSMASH at HulkSpace for finding this...

9sru5l.jpg

Should Hulk Be The Villain In The Avengers? You Decide, Says Hulk Director

Published by Shawn Adler on Friday, June 13, 2008 at 10:35 am.

They join forces to fight enemies no single hero can battle alone. So what possible villain could be big enough, strong enough, or crazy enough to go against the combined powers of Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Ant-Man, and the rest of The Avengers? How about no villain at all, “Incredible Hulk” director Louis Leterrier wondered, but a hero?

[Spoiler Warning for those who don’t wish to know anything about "The Incredible Hulk"]

“I would love to see [the Hulk become the villain that fights the Avengers] because I think the best villains are always the ones whose agenda you understand,” he enthused. “They’re not synthetic to us in a way; they’re not these one dimensional bad guys.”

The Hulk being instrumental to the formation of The Avengers isn’t actually a new idea — in fact, it’s precisely the reason the team formed way back when Stan Lee and Jack Kirby first started the comic in 1963. Leterrier wanted to make sure he gave the next “Avengers” captain, whether it be him, Jon Favreau, or someone else, the same opportunity.

“That’s why I left the door open for whoever’s going to direct ‘The Avengers’ with our last shot. Edward and I, we consciously decided to make the last shot of the movie when he opens his eyes and he smirks at the camera,” Leterrier said. “Is he enjoying it? Is he malicious? That’s what’s great about Edward. You don’t know if he’s a good guy or bad guy. He’s always on this edge and we’ve been sort of surfing that edge, that very thin edge during the entire movie.”

“So that last shot of the movie, if you decide that he’s smiling, in control, then he’s a good guy, that’s ‘The Hulk 2,’” he continued. “If Hulk is a failure, then he looks up and smirks and that’s eventually the Hulk of the Avengers — the uncontrollable beast that they need to team up to stop.”

“The Avengers” movie is tentatively scheduled for 2011, and that’s plenty of time to figure it out, Leterrier said. And the best way to do that? Let the fans decide, he said.

“I would listen to the fans before I listen to the box office,” Leterrier insisted. “They are the reason why these movies successful.”

The gauntlet has been thrown. Do you think the Hulk should be the villain in the Avengers? Or do you think he should be on the team, helping to fight someone else?

http://moviesblog.mtv.com/2008/06/13...hulk-director/

The team could/should gather together to stop him, but join forces in the end...just like when the team first formed in the comics. That would not make him a "villain," necessarily, more of an adversary. The word "villain" implies evil intent, and that's just not what the Hulk is about.

The team could/should gather together to stop him, but join forces in the end...just like when the team first formed in the comics. That would not make him a "villain," necessarily, more of an adversary. The word "villain" implies evil intent, and that's just not what the Hulk is about.

Umm just because I have a rep for bashing a possible Avengers film featuring the Hulk (again why have a team movie where he will play second fiddle when we could get another solo flick) -- but if I remember correctly in the REAL Avengers universe (Not Ultimates which in my eye is just a horrible way for Joey Q to get some more money from us) didnt he leave after realizing he 'wasnt wanted' by the other heroes? Cause didnt Namor have a tihng to do with this?

If they're not going to properly intoduce the avenging son in a fantastic Four movie, Avengers might be the way to go then...

Oh no I'm not talking about introducing him in the movie...I was just trying to jog my memory as to Namor being the one in the comics to persuade the Hulk to leave the team in issue 2 or 3 I believe. Sorry about the confusion

I'm not sure the Hulk should be portrayed as the villain in the Avengers...however, if some of them teamed up to try and track him down or stop one of his Hulk outs, that's fine. But full fledged villain? No.

Also, not sure if anyone else feels the same but, I would absolutely love to see the Hulk in a future movie, absolutely kick the crap out of Iron Man. Like grabbing him, smashing him to the ground, ripping his suit apart, nearly killing him. I got nothing against Iron Man, but I think it would be the coolest thing ever.

i think that would be awesome.

and then Hulk can become good, and team up with them.

Oh no I'm not talking about introducing him in the movie...I was just trying to jog my memory as to Namor being the one in the comics to persuade the Hulk to leave the team in issue 2 or 3 I believe. Sorry about the confusion

Too late, now I'm rooting to see this. :woot:

No he should be on the team. Come on.

The only way my stomach wouldnt curdle and I would feel like having him in this movie is not a waste of time is if they have him one of the main characters. Again, as you can read in another post of mine, I am against Marvel Studios making the Hulk either A-villian and or B-background character WHEN they can just make another solo Hulk flick.

So if they would say make him the eyes of the movie audience because he's the journeyman and the outsider on the team than GREAT. Maybe take the Wolverine aspect (Newbie t othe team but one of the largest characters in the film).

Then I wouldnt complain as much. But until then I still see Marvel Studios making this film Superheroes vs the Hulk or maybe only 2 Hulk-outs in the whole film while Banner just sits in the background and does nothing.

I don't see why they don't just do what they did in the Ultiamte Avengers movie.

Have Hulk be the reason the team forms but while searching for Hulk (with which Banner can be in contact with say, Stark, telling them just to leave him alone as he can now control himself) they find a more immediate threat. Decide take that on, get whopped, ask Banner to join the team. Banner joins, Hulk helps out, at the end of the fight Ross jumps the gun thinking he's lost control, opens fire. Banner really does loose control, rest of Avengers (who are pretty wrecked after beating other threat) have to now take on their original target. Who is really pissed because he thinks it was all a trap.

I'm against having Hulk as a main villain, because Banner isn't villainous, nor would it make sense in any way for him to be. Having him be a fight in the movie... I don't see what the big deal is... some of Hulk's most memorable fights are against other heroes and the Hulk, himself, isn't really the type to get along with others or talk things out... having him fight other heroes seems natural to me.

But as a villain, as in "The Hulk is going to destroy the world if we don't stop him?"

No thanks.

Give me some Ultron or something.

The only way my stomach wouldnt curdle and I would feel like having him in this movie is not a waste of time is if they have him one of the main characters. Again, as you can read in another post of mine, I am against Marvel Studios making the Hulk either A-villian and or B-background character WHEN they can just make another solo Hulk flick.

So if they would say make him the eyes of the movie audience because he's the journeyman and the outsider on the team than GREAT. Maybe take the Wolverine aspect (Newbie t othe team but one of the largest characters in the film).

Then I wouldnt complain as much. But until then I still see Marvel Studios making this film Superheroes vs the Hulk or maybe only 2 Hulk-outs in the whole film while Banner just sits in the background and does nothing.

Questions:

1) What if they can't make another Hulk flick (say, they're busy with Avengers) would you rather they just not use him at all rather than make Banner a supporting character.

2) What do you see Banner, himself, doing, when it comes to the Avengers?

3) When you say the Wolverine aspect, you would prefer Hulk be the star of the Avengers movie, and the other characters be his supporting cast? Shadows of their comic book glory?

Questions:

1) What if they can't make another Hulk flick (say, they're busy with Avengers) would you rather they just not use him at all rather than make Banner a supporting character.

3) When you say the Wolverine aspect, you would prefer Hulk be the star of the Avengers movie, and the other characters be his supporting cast? Shadows of their comic book glory?

1-Not to sound like an ass but I doubt everyone associated with the Hulk franchise will be busy with the Avengers. I want to say only producers would be that busy, Kevin Feige to name one. But if it came down that this is the only way I would be able to get my dose of the Hulk..then go for it. It just sounds that people on this board would rather see an Avengers film than a Hulk sequel.

2-Honestly I dont see him doing much. Like I previously stated in another message the Avengers have there science guy in Stark (Out of the characters already established in films--we still dont know if Antman will ever get off the ground). So there goes the aspect of science guy.

Also this version of Banner doesnt seem the nuclear scientist type...more the average guy with science knowledge (Not to that extent though). So in my eyes to establish him as someone who could wire a robot is out of character in a franchise.

So I think Banner will become like Cyclops in the X-men films. Have a line here or there but mainly background noise.

3-As for the Wolverine comment. Its wishful thinking on my part. I know Captain America and Iron Man and Thor are more important in the Avengers than the Hulk---so its just wishful thinking.

Overall some people may tihnk of me as an ass. But like I said before most of you sound as if you dont want a true-blue Hulk sequel and just an Avengers film. Well, I hope I'm speaking for othe rpeople as well, I would rather see one more solo flick before we get an Avengers film where he is pushed in the background because he isnt as important as the rest of the members.

I'm just a Hulk fan trying to get the most out of his favorite character.

Questions:

1-Not to sound like an ass but I doubt everyone associated with the Hulk franchise will be busy with the Avengers. I want to say only producers would be that busy, Kevin Feige to name one. But if it came down that this is the only way I would be able to get my dose of the Hulk..then go for it. It just sounds that people on this board would rather see an Avengers film than a Hulk sequel.

2-Honestly I dont see him doing much. Like I previously stated in another message the Avengers have there science guy in Stark (Out of the characters already established in films--we still dont know if Antman will ever get off the ground). So there goes the aspect of science guy.

Also this version of Banner doesnt seem the nuclear scientist type...more the average guy with science knowledge (Not to that extent though). So in my eyes to establish him as someone who could wire a robot is out of character in a franchise.

So I think Banner will become like Cyclops in the X-men films. Have a line here or there but mainly background noise.

3-As for the Wolverine comment. Its wishful thinking on my part. I know Captain America and Iron Man and Thor are more important in the Avengers than the Hulk---so its just wishful thinking.

Overall some people may tihnk of me as an ass. But like I said before most of you sound as if you dont want a true-blue Hulk sequel and just an Avengers film. Well, I hope I'm speaking for othe rpeople as well, I would rather see one more solo flick before we get an Avengers film where he is pushed in the background because he isnt as important as the rest of the members.

I'm just a Hulk fan trying to get the most out of his favorite character.

Know what could happen that I would be gung ho for--is maybe using Banner as the audience's eyes and the audience point of view. He is a loner and probably would be the last to join this team. So they could always just have him be our eyes.

But like I said before most of you sound as if you dont want a true-blue Hulk sequel and just an Avengers film.

Most of us want another Incredible Hulk movie (well I do, anyway) but I think the Avengers is discussed so much because it seems more likely to happen.

“So that last shot of the movie, if you decide that he’s smiling, in control, then he’s a good guy, that’s ‘The Hulk 2,’” he continued. “If Hulk is a failure, then he looks up and smirks and that’s eventually the Hulk of the Avengers — the uncontrollable beast that they need to team up to stop.”

It sounds like Marvel's creative decision is going to be made based off of how well TIH does. I'm okay with Hulk being an anti-hero, but villain he is not.

“I would listen to the fans before I listen to the box office,” Leterrier insisted. “They are the reason why these movies successful.”

Hopefully the studio feels the same way.

my thoughts
I think the hulk should be in the Avengers, but more in line with how the Avengers were first formed. Maybe have Loki as the true villain of the story who frames the Hulk.Forcing Iron Man,Thor and Cap to come looking for him ti try and subdue him.Of course there would have to be a big throwdown between all of them!( i mean the Hulk has pretty much fought the Avengers from time to time anyways).After they all realize they have all been duped. The Avengers and the Hulk team up to battle Loki for the climatic battle. Leaving Hulk to jump off to parts unknown.I really don't want the Hulk to be the villain of the story, but just mistaken for the real bad guy. just my 2 cents.

The Hulk is a Force, of misunderstood, Raw Nature. Why did Stark approach Ross to informing him that there is a Team forming? "I understand you have a Problem". My understanding of this is to offer the General help. But, there is another road it could take. "We are forming a Team and we need this big Guy to help us. Leave him alone". Naturally, Ross can't step aside and control his obsession with the Hulk. Regardless, If he joins the Team they would always be suspicions and fearful of Him. The Writer and Director should keep these basic facts to bring the team to life. But, you need to establish the Hulk better so a Sequel should be in order.

Make them band together to take him down, but than he must join them to stop an impossible force... aka Masters of Evil...

man you comic book geeks are hard to please. the hulk will be in the avengers movie regardless to if he gets a sequel or not. i have no problems with him being one of the villains in the movie and at the end he joins forces with the team. :bh:

I would prefer the Hulk not be the villain of the Avengers movie. I would like to see attention given to a villain I haven't seen before.

I would like to see a Hulk sequel leading off of the scene at the end of TIH. Stark says he wants Ross to help track down the Hulk just one last time... but don't engage him. SHIELD wants to approach Banner, not capture the Hulk (to work with him to cope and control the HULK, become a member of the super team).

Then TIH2 goes off with that plot-line and includes the Leader also going after the Hulk. A lot of action ensues, and it ends with the Hulk joining the Avengers (maybe IM is in there to help the Hulk fight the Leader and his goons... but SHIELD helps in some capacity... thus spurring the relationship).

Then Thor takes place as a fantasy film set in Asgard... ending with Loki being banished to Midgard (Earth).

IM2 takes place with Fury telling Stark that they know about the guy behind the 10 Rings terrorist group that kidnapped him (the Mandarin). Stark goes after him on his own (still brash and not totally used to the idea of team yet). The action ensues. IM narrowly wins, and SHIELD shows up to apprehend the Mandarin. Fury then tells Stark about more associates of the Mandarin with separate operations (Skull and/or Barron Nemo). But Fury emphasizes that Stark can't take them on alone, and needs to work with the team...

Cap movie takes place as a WWII period piece (the Red Skull and/or Baron Zemo are involved)... It all ends with Cap saving the day, getting injured and lost in snow, entering a state of prolonged hibernation. He is found in the ice, thawed and trained to recover from decades in frozen stasis. His return is the inspiration to start a super team in the first place.

The Avengers starts with Cap, IM, Hulk, Wasp and Antman (the latter two were already involved with SHIELD and recruited to the Avengers outside of filming). I like a cameo for Black Widow as a SHIELD agent... or as a full member already... Enter Loki. He creates a relationship with the Red Skull or Baron Zemo (Loki needs minions to work his machinations... and those guys have their operations for him to utilize... Skull / Nemo need the power to work their plans, and Loki has the juice). They clash with the Avengers and Loki is able to use magic to warp the fragile psyche of the Hulk and send him on a rampage... Avengers v. Hulk plays out... Then Thor shows up in Midgard to stop Loki, and has to help neutralize the Hulk. He does, and the Avengers get back to fighting the bad guys and win the day. Thor joins the Avengers.

I don't think the Hulk should be the only villain. I think the Avengers should fight the Hulk, and like the Ultimates, maybe that is how they become public (though do their publicity more 616 and less revelling in being celebrities...HEROES FIRST!!!) I don't think the whole movie should center on stopping the Hulk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"