The Dark Knight Rises Should the Nolanverse Continue After Batman III?

Man of Tomorrow

Superhero
Reaction score
Nolan's recent interview indicated that he plans to end his story with Batman III; likely meaning he won't be directing any Batman films after that.

Should the Nolanverse continue into the Batman films following Batman III?

Personally I feel it should. The Batman interpretation that Nolan crafted has been the most successful take on the character to date and is incredibly true to the source material. It definitely seems to resonate with general audiences and fanboys.

Even though it's possible we could lose Christian Bale after Batman III, another actor should step into the shoes of the Bruce Wayne from the first 3 films and the story should continue into Batman 4. Maybe Michael Caine could remain as Alfred (like Q in the Bond films).

Rebooting Batman again and starting over would just be a waste, especially with so much done right in this interpretation.

Hopefully they can keep most of Nolan's people (Goyer and the rest) on the franchaise after Nolan leaves to maintain the awesomeness of what he's done.

Yes.

But with each passing film, the 'realism' should be lightened up a bit so it can later on become more true to the comics.

No more reboots, please.

I don't think Bale, Freeman, Caine or Oldman would return if Nolan doesn't, but the films should stay within the Universe Nolan established.

These films are about Batman's beginnings, so it would be easy for a new director to take over and continue in Nolan's universe.

If they are going to continue to make Batman movies after Nolan, there is no need to do a "re-telling" of the origins of batman. Just start off the new franchise in full swing and dont explain origins. Start off with a movie pitting batman vs. bane or something action packed like that.

I would say they should not continue the Nolan Universe personally. It has been enjoyable but I would like to see something new, which is what makes a long running character fun; you get to have several interpretations. This is especially true with batman as he is a very diverse character. Also, I feel like Nolan himself will not return, so his styler should not. I don't want to see someone else imitate what he has created. Because 1) It would likely feel artificial and 2) I honestly don't LOVE Nolan's idea of Batman, but I feel like he pulls it off and makes it successful because he is a great filmmaker in general. So let's see another great filmmaker take a stab and maybe we will get some scifi elements or something. Who knows? It could be even better than Nolan's run, we'll never know until we try something new.

EDIT: I would like to add that this does not mean they should create another origin story.

Nope. Wait some years, then reboot at whatever starting point they choose with a very different creative direction to it.

Nolan's vision should end with Nolan, mainly because it wouldn't be good to have another director come in and try to replicate what Nolan did. Each director should be able to have their own take on the mythos and not be forced into one direction or style.

The Nolanverse isn't the Nolanverse without Christopher Nolan's direction. That's why it's called the "Nolanverse", because it's all Chris' interpretation & vision of the character. Why would another director come in and imitate Nolan's vision instead of coming up with their own. If Chris isn't directing it, then the interpretation & vision should come from the mind of whoever *is* directing it.

With that said, I believe that Nolan's films have laid the foundation for Batman films of the future, so that WB wont have to go back and reboot the series anymore. They can just pick up where Nolan's films end, and I do believe they are going to end on a similar note like Batman Begins: with a sense of unlimited possibilities, but also a sense of an ongoing, endless journey for Batman, so that any director can come in, pick whatever villains they want to use, story to tell, etc. and produce their own interpretation of the character.

But with Nolan's Batman, I believe that WB wont ever have to go back to do the origin story ever again, or at least for many, many decades.

No it shouldnt and I cant see it happening.

Well...theoretically...if Nolan didn't want to continue, WB..in owning the franchise...could just hire others to continue the continuity...even if it meant different actors as well. So I guess the real question is...should that opportunity arise, should they? If Batman 3 ends up being a smash success like TDK...it'd be hard not to be tempted to, despite a new head creative team.

Creatively, I'd still say no for the sake of the films maintaining their own unique 'stamp', if you will. But from a business standpoint, I'd be hard-pressed to disagree with the incentive to stretch it out....even if I don't like the idea from a creative standpoint.

the batman franchise needs be approached like story arcs in the comics. after nolan's story arc the next one begins with a new creative team of artists and writers. it continues the characters and story with respect to the continuity set before them.

No. Id rather them end on a high note instead of continuing on and perhaps having only the franchise go down because of its peak. They went on way too long the first time around and I dont wanna see it happen again.

On the other hand I see the Studio perhaps pushing it and if they dont continue on without a story. Will they reboot in a couple of years? I wouldnt wanna see that either. It is batman with a ton of villians and formidable foes he that can enter the batman world. We'll see. Though I see this being Nolan's last for sure.

the batman franchise needs be approached like story arcs in the comics. after nolan's story arc the next one begins with a new creative team of artists and writers. it continues the characters and story with respect to the continuity set before them.

So Harvey Dent will always be dead, etc....? Heck...if the franchise did what it should have done starting with Burton, we wouldn't have had Joker in TDK.

Last edited:
If Batman 3 is a good movie, then wait a few years before doing another one. Unlike with the Spider-Man franchise, where the last movie we got was really bad, I think it's great we're getting a fresh new approach so soon.

Also...don't comics reboot or retell the same stories in different versions from time to time as well?

I think the dark and gritty tone should continue, but I think they need to start introducing more fantasy elements into it. You can't just keep redoing the Joker, Riddler, Two-Face, Catwoman, and so forth. At some point they need to try other villains, such as Killer Croc.

I think the dark and gritty tone should continue, but I think they need to start introducing more fantasy elements into it. You can't just keep redoing the Joker, Riddler, Two-Face, Catwoman, and so forth. At some point they need to try other villains, such as Killer Croc.

If someone like Del Toro did a version of Batman, Killer Croc could be very cool.

No. Let the next director do his own thing. Batman is open to many other interpretations where it can work. We need to learn to let it go eventually and embrace the next thing. Who knows, there could be something else that could be even better than what Nolan has done. We won't know if we stick with the Nolanverse. It's stupid to think so. Let's see another vision. There's many other directions where it can go.

He dies in Batman Forever...should they have stuck to that?

the franchises werent in continuity with each other. this current franchise was a much needed fresh start for many reasons. there is no reason to restart the franchise after nolan. constant re-starts and re-boots is just stupid and pointless.

Also...don't comics reboot or retell the same stories in different versions from time to time as well?

when done properly, its rather rare this happens (particularly in batman's case). and it certainly doesnt happen from story arc to story arc. that'd just be ignorant.

Definitely not. If you ask a director to continue the continuity of another director then you get into bad territory. The new director is incredibly restricted in what he can do while the old director's work is desolved by the inevitable mistakes that will come.

Nolan brought this franchise back from the brink, he has given Batman solid foundations as, right now, the most bankable superhero in the box office. Those foundations should be used in order to bring Batman to life in new and exciting ways, not by imitating the work of someone that is non-replicatable.

any following creative team needs to do what they are comfortable with and make it their own vision. but it should be done within a regard to continuity started with nolans arc. that is not a difficult thing to do and its not asking anyone to imitate nolan.

I say leave it open for us to imagine what could happen next in the Nolanverse, but let this be Nolan's last. Then leave the Batman movies alone for a while and get someone else to finally direct an epic Batman vs Superman movie.

any following creative team needs to do what they are comfortable with and make it their own vision. but it should be done within a regard to continuity started with nolans arc. that is not a difficult thing to do and its not asking anyone to imitate nolan.

What if a director feels the characters of The Joker and Two Face are central to what he wants to do? He can't do Two face because he's dead. What if his vision involved deeply different versions of the two?

I know what you might be thinking, bring in a director that can work well with what he's got. But why miss the opportunity to see another amazing director give us his take on Batman because he can't use his own vision?

Nolan's vision should end with Nolan, mainly because it wouldn't be good to have another director come in and try to replicate what Nolan did. Each director should be able to have their own take on the mythos and not be forced into one direction or style.
Exactly, that's how Superman Returns turned out the way it did. it should be its own type of movie after its over. i do wish nolan would take his further than just 3 movies. there's so much more to be done. whoever does do it next should make it darker and a little less real. i would like to see characters like clayface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"