The Dark Knight Rises Is Batman going to become a fascist conservative in the Dark Knight Rises?

Trolling in the deepest, in before teh lock.

And in both the spoiler & non-spoiler forum.

:o

Well it's neither spoiler or non spoiler since I haven't seen the thing and have no special insight into the thing. I'm not sure I follow your statement. I am a noob, if you will.

If this movie has an anti-Occupy mesage, then I might actually be looking forward to it.

Actually no, I'm still not. Political messages in superhero movies is part of what put me off of the franchise to begin with.

Everything's political. Everything. A cup of coffee is political. you might not like it but I guess you hvae the luxury to ignore it. In some countries it's worth dying for.

I don't really care about the Occupy stuff. Watsky pretty much gives my opinion on the matter. Still will be looking forward to TDKR either way because it's the Goddamn Batman though.

Nolan said they started filming all of this before the Occupy stuff even started, and his comments have been very respectful towards the movement when asked about it, so I wouldn't worry about it. However, it looks like Bane attacks the 1% and the Gotham's version of Wall Street for their greed and white collar crimes... so my guess is, it hits it at both angles. Sort of like, these guys are crooks and deserve to be punished... but do they deserve THIS?

Everything's political. Everything. A cup of coffee is political. you might not like it but I guess you hvae the luxury to ignore it. In some countries it's worth dying for.

Nolan's TDKR is neither pro Right or pro Left, any such assumptions are incorrect, just read this -

Liberalism’s Dark Knight and Christopher Nolan’s Defense of Civil Society

here’s a lazy, irritating strain running through the critical reaction to The Dark Knight Rises. It assumes that because the protagonist is a rich philanthropist and the villain an Occupy-soundalike terrorist, the film is taking a hard-right stand on today’s political issues. You see this move from some on the left, who go as far as calling the film fascist. Others on the right are eager to deny the supposedly legitimizing Bat-mantle to liberals or to tie the Occupy movement to Bane’s unremitting violence.

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/07/26/581591/dark-knight-christopher-nolan/?mobile=nc

And this -

The Dark Knight Rises' Is Not About Occupy Wall Street

There have been many silly things said about Christopher Nolan’s third Dark Knight film, most of them on the topic of politics.

Of course, this is no surprise. Politics brings out the silliest tendencies in all of us, and film critics are no exception. The prevailing wisdom in some left and right-leaning circles is that The Dark Knight Rises is a film about the dangers of the Occupy Wall Street movement – a myopic and narrow-minded analysis, if you ask me, which serves only to force the politics of the day into a movie much more concerned with universal symbols.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/07/27/the-dark-knight-rises-is-not-about-occupy-wall-street/

And, finally those who have still not seen the movie as they think that this movie has some political message that they do not approve of, Why not go and watch the movie and then make up your own mind ?

:dry:

Last edited:
Batman isn't politican. He doesn't care about what others think. He does what's neccessary. He can be seen as hero,villain,fascist or liberal for the sake of Gotham.

I have seen some negative reviews about the movie from of extreme left wing critics. One of them even dare to write Bane was the hero in the movie. Idiocy rises.

Nolan's Batman is not a fascist conservative. He's just a sad, traumatized man who's seeking out his lost childhood.

Bizarre. Never thought I would hear "fascist" (totalitarian/big government) and "conservative" (small government) paired together. That's paradoxical.

If you think it isn't paradoxical, you've been lied to by rich scumbags and the media about what conservatism really is. (For example: Mitt Romney is not even remotely a conservative.)

Political messages in superhero movies is part of what put me off of the franchise to begin with.

Every superhero has always been political. Especially Batman as it's matured, or books like Watchmen and V for Vendetta. But it doesn't have to be that mature or complex of a book, even the basic premise of the superhero is political.

Superheroes examine what's wrong with society and go about with what they feel is the best approach to addressing that. If the writer is good, this will eventually lead to a conflict or morals or ideals with another character, or through a tough situation.

It's not just about liars in suits that get up on a stage and make empty promises, it's a reflection of humanity doing what humanity has always done: rationalize and attempt to solve major problems.

Captain Fungus sees a train derailing, he flies over and pushes it back onto the tracks, because he feels he has a responsibility to step in and help those in danger. He's a Voluntaryist.

If you have something against solving problems for some reason, feel free to seek out popcorn nonsense that doesn't encourage you to think critically or morally. Personally, I'm not interested in that, I find it petty. So to each their own.

Last edited:
You know what I mean, don't be pedantic.

Batman is not a fascist conservative. He is not a political character by any means, both the Nolan version and the comics version. The whole "Bush thing" (as people call it) from TDK is a ridiculous stretch and as for TDKR, Nolan planned all those scenes filmed on Wall Street before the Occupy movement took place.

Can you be a liberal and still love Batman? Yes. I myself am not liberal or conservative but I lean closer to the liberals and I absolutely love Batman. Like I said before, Batman isn't really conservative or liberal so it's not an issue. Heck, if you think about it, Batman would realistically get crap from both sides. He would get crap from the conservatives because he is against guns & doesn't kill criminals and he would get crap from the liberals for violating so many of the criminals' rights (example: beating a criminal to a pulp).

Batman isn't a conservative, but psychologically he is a fascist in the same measure that the league is fascist. This is only to say that Batman imposes his brand of justice and law on society without much care about due process or other rights. TDK makes this point when Batman stops the men in hockey pads at the beginning of the film. Only his brand no one elses.

There is a very ironic point in TDKR when Gordon questions crane saying that thier court is a false one because it lack no due process, Gordon being of course one of the architects of the dent act comes off very hypocritical in this moment. Regardless of his good intentions.

A lot of people have misinterpreted the so-called political elements in the films. They are not making any actual statement, those elements are really only there to make a more interesting, relatable, and ultimately, entertaining set of movies.

I found the film took an apolitical stance; there's plenty of it in the dialogue and scenes, but its simply put out there and used as it benefits the story. No preaching etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"