The Dark Knight Rises Who will get the shaft in Batman 3?

GregComicFan

movie and comic buff
Reaction score
Hi all,

I remember prior to X-Men 3 hitting theaters, people were discussing which characters would get the most spotlight. As expected, people discussed how Wolverine had been given the limelight enough and X-Men 3 would hopefully be dedicated to exploring/developing other characters like Cyclops.... and then X-Men 3 came out.... and it was all about Wolverine.

BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF THIS DISCUSSION...

:)

My question is... when the Nolan trilogy is all said and done (let's assume Nolan will do only three Batman movies)... who will get the shaft the most?

Who will be the "Cyclops" of Nolan's trilogy? Cyclops = "the character who deserved the most development and was given the least..."

My picks:

WHO I THINK WILL GET THE SHAFT: Lucius Fox. I doubt he will ever actually become a developed character. We won't learn his history, or his family life, or anything. He will pretty much just be regulated to always be stuck inside Wayne Enterprises doing his thing for Batman.

WHO HOPEFULLY DOES NOT GET THE SHAFT: Bruce. Batman Begins did such a great job developing Bruce that I forgave TDK for being less about Batman and more about Harvey/Joker... although I do think Batman made some interesting and character-defining choices in TDK. Hopefully, in Batman 3, Bruce gets more of the spotlight and Batman 3 is more like BB than TDK. I mean, it is HIS story, so it should FOCUS on him....

WHO I THINK SHOULD GET THE SHAFT: The Mob Bosses. I think the progression from BB to TDK showing the freaks taking over Gotham should mean Batman 3 should include a "freak-run-Gotham". The Mob is out.

Your thoughts?

Who should get the shaft? Who do you think will get the shaft? Should Bruce get the shaft? Should the main villain of B3 get the shaft (with a reduced role and an increased role for someone else)? Should Gordon's role be reduced? Should Lucius' role be increased so he doesn't get the shaft? Should the secondary villain get the shaft in order to increase the main? Should Miscellaneous characters like the Mayor, a new DA, just be written out completely???

???

not sure that fox needs to be more developed. he is what he is, a peripheral character, and that's all he needs to be, not sure what purpose developing his backstory would serve. he is Q to bruce's Bond.

Why does anybody have to get the shaft?

And why do you like saying "the shaft" so much?

And also;

shaftmovieam1.jpg

That is all.

I am so tired of the whole mob storyline. kill the mob boss. The mob's story is already over

I think that if Catwoman appears in the movie she will leave a really iconic, epic interpretation, almost like Heath, both as Catwoman and Selina

Probably Fox, but I'm okay with that.
I kind of felt that Alfred got the shaft in TDK.

Mob bosses... they are good for quantity purposes when defining Gotham's crime problems - but they really dont add much to plot development.

Why does anybody have to get the shaft?

And why do you like saying "the shaft" so much?

And also;

shaftmovieam1.jpg

That is all.

I think you'd be very popular in the cracked.com forums. No, that's not a good thing.

Why does anyone have to be getting the shaft?

I agree that the Mob Boss storyline should be over - Gotham, because of the Joker, should start to be overrun by Freaks.

Escalation continues with Freaks coming to Gotham, word of Harvey Dent's demise comes out, and Batman is redeemed at the end.

I agree that the Mob Boss storyline should be over - Gotham, because of the Joker, should start to be overrun by Freaks.

Escalation continues with Freaks coming to Gotham, word of Harvey Dent's demise comes out, and Batman is redeemed at the end.

I agree completley no more typical Mob Bosses we have seen that in 2 batman movies already i wanna see the result of Joker opening the floodgates in a sense

and i honestly feel like Fox is either going to die or not have alot of screentime..Simply because i could see one of the villains finding out through Reese( if he comes back) that fox has been supplying Batman with equipment

One of the things that makes this version of Batman so good IMO, is the fact that I don't think anyone has gotten the shaft, at least not nearly as bad as the Burton/Shumacher films. The OP brought up Fox, but even he had a whole lot of screen time in TDK, and he made important decisions that, while it didn't delve into his backstory, showed his values and opinions. Fox is a secondary player, and still manages more screen time in TDK than almost any other character of a similar role in any other superhero flick. Even Coleman Reese got a good amount of face time. Nolan is great at balancing multiple characters and storylines, as evidenced not only in his Batman films, but his previous works as well....

One of the things that makes this version of Batman so good IMO, is the fact that I don't think anyone has gotten the shaft, at least not nearly as bad as the Burton/Shumacher films. The OP brought up Fox, but even he had a whole lot of screen time in TDK, and he made important decisions that, while it didn't delve into his backstory, showed his values and opinions. Fox is a secondary player, and still manages more screen time in TDK than almost any other character of a similar role in any other superhero flick. Even Coleman Reese got a good amount of face time. Nolan is great at balancing multiple characters and storylines, as evidenced not only in his Batman films, but his previous works as well....

This answer.

I attribute it to the writing. Gordon in BR would say things like "Thanks for saving the day Batman." In TDK he's says things like "We bet it all on him, the Joker took the best of us and tore him down." The characters in Nolan's films are simply better written and in turn much more engaging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"