Should there be another Batman Live-Action Tv show?

Od love an hbo live action show . Hell I would take an r rated animated show on hbo. To me after the Nolan trilogy ends , they should take a break from the big screen , and do a tv show

Batman doesn't need to be on HBO and WB would never let it be an HBO show. I would like to see it on cable though, like F/X or AMC, if nothing more than the expectations wouldn't be as high and the season's would be shorter. If it was on a network it'd be a 22 episode season and would overuse the supervillians or have a way too long buildup to a supervillian for a letdown of a fight at the end of the season.

Batman doesn't need to be on HBO and WB would never let it be an HBO show.
Why not? They seem to have a good working relationship. Not only does WB do a lot of HBO's home video releases, but True Blood shoots at Warner Bros. studios. And WB is certainly not averse to putting their productions on other networks they don't own. You can find a WB production on pretty much every major network, so it doesn't seem that crazy to think HBO could be one of 'em, especially when HBO often joins forces with other production companies to co-finance their shows.

Well there ya go. Now I really don't think WB would have a problem with it.

I honestly think it should air on the CW. Not because it should be a CW show, but because the CW needs a kick in the ass.

Batman doesn't need to be on HBO and WB would never let it be an HBO show. I would like to see it on cable though, like F/X or AMC, if nothing more than the expectations wouldn't be as high and the season's would be shorter. If it was on a network it'd be a 22 episode season and would overuse the supervillians or have a way too long buildup to a supervillian for a letdown of a fight at the end of the season.

You do realize WB owns both Batman and HBO . If its going to be on cable that is the likely network not fox.:awesome:

I could see WB doing Batman on HBO before they did it on Network TV.

We had a Flash TV series before. That was before the CSI franchise though.

Indeed. I even liked the little bit of it I saw. I think it went for two seasons too. Combine that with the CSI angle, the show dang near writes itself. That's all these procedurals have nowadays, is that one thing that makes their detective unique. Superspeed meets the criteria, dramatically so.

Since i don't know much about how the USA chanels work as i'm not from the USA i only have an idea of how it should be like.

I wouldn't like it to go to AMC because from what i heard they're allways cutting the budget of their most successful show, now, i wouldn't expect big car chases but in least i would like a budget big enough for a Batman vs SWAT team episode like in Year One, and Chuck's Season 4 finale ofered an interesting idea of how Batman's Motorcycle could work with a small budget.

I don't think the show should go with a main villain for each season like Buffy, but a season long story arc would be interesting, like for example, as season 1 covers Batman's Year One the season long story arc could be the Police corruption, the gangs with Falcone on it's center and James Gordon rising inside the Gotham PD.

If there was ever to be a season 2 it's story arc could be that of The Long Halloween, with the Holliday Killer revealed in the end. As for super villain, they would be recurrying foes and they could unexpectadly appear in normal crime episodes.

I think most villain could be easily used, Batman: The Animated Series had a selection of episodes that could be used as inspiration of how the villains could work with a small budget: Mr. Freexe's Heart of Ice, Poison Ivy's Pretty Poison, and many other examples, i think that the trickiest one would be Man-Bat because Flight fights like that would be really difficult to pull of on a tv budget.

One way to make WB accept the show running alongside the films is that as the next films may be reboots without origin stories the show can serve as a sort of Prequel to the film series, the TV show can also gather some interest for the films and make more people watch it

Why not? They seem to have a good working relationship. Not only does WB do a lot of HBO's home video releases, but True Blood shoots at Warner Bros. studios. And WB is certainly not averse to putting their productions on other networks they don't own. You can find a WB production on pretty much every major network, so it doesn't seem that crazy to think HBO could be one of 'em, especially when HBO often joins forces with other production companies to co-finance their shows.

Unless your talking purely from a creative development standpoint, the only other benefit to being on HBO is so you can show boobs and drop the occasional F-bomb. That'd seem out of place in the Bat universe.

Network TV (Fox, CBS, NBC, ABC) would likely try to strangle a show like this to death. You'd be better off with an FX, USA, or AMC type network running it.

The CW might not be a bad option if you get a showrunner like Kripke or Whedon on board who can hold his own against the Network.

Yep, when the Nolan trilogy is out on DVD/BD, they should totally start on a TV series.

I'd rather see 22 x 42min episodes spread out over a year than one 120min movie every three years.
More Batman stories! So many villains, so many possibilities.

HBO = dream come true
CW = Okay, could be worse!

I'd love to see how a new show would handle Catwoman, especially since she's one of the few things TAS dropped the ball on. I'm looking at you "Cat Scratch Fever".

Selina should be like Batman's answer to Damon Salvatore, the kind of wild card character who doesn't fit neatly into hero or villain, but is still resistant to the hero's attempts to reform her. That'd be great to develop over a season or two.

Unless your talking purely from a creative development standpoint, the only other benefit to being on HBO is so you can show boobs and drop the occasional F-bomb. That'd seem out of place in the Bat universe.
Creatively AND financially, HBO is the best option, imo. It all comes down to budget - HBO springs for the top talent because they can afford it, which is why their shows always have the highest production values (and top-quality storytelling). I would include AMC in that, except, as has been mentioned, they're having major issues with slashing budgets these days because as a tiny basic cable network, they never had that much money for original shows to begin with. Enough for one or two top quality shows, but their eyes are getting too big for their stomachs, as the saying goes.

And like you said, the broadcast networks strangle their shows, so they're out...and FX does good storytelling, but they're still pretty low-budget.

Last edited:
Another fun thing they could do with a longer series is refine the characters' looks over time, not just Batman upgrading his suit between movies. Like Poison Ivy would start out basically like on TAS, and by season 5 or whatever she's full-on plant lady. Or Mr. Freeze could upgrade his suit a few times. Joker and Harley could have different looks for every occasion. It would make sense in-universe; you wouldn't even need tie-in toys to justify it.

I was just watching the latest "Castle", with the time honored hero-gets-stuck-in-a-bank-robbery plot. I suddenly realized how fantastic that plot would be if applied to Batman. Did they ever do that in the comics or on "The Batman"?

I never watched Castle but that plot line would be quite interesting for a Bruce Wayne traped in a bank robery, i doubt nobody ever used it in any of the comics, it works and is very conventional too.

If there ever was another Batman tv show i sincerelly am not entirelly sure what should be the first episode, should it be parts of Year One or should it be the first Batman story from Detective Comics 27 where we only know Bruce Wayne is Batman in the end?

I like both for pilot episodes and Year One storyline would obviously be used in much of the 1st season.

I never watched many of the HBO shows but i did watch some of CW, they seem to give a good enough budget but there can't be too much risky content. For me the ideal would be for every season to have more than 20 episodes, if HBO can give that and a good budget then it would probably be the best choice considering that from the coments it seems like HBO belongs to Warner Bros, or something like that.

A Batman HBO show needs to happen . Live Action or animated . WB get to it

If there ever was another Batman tv show I am not entirely sure what should be the first episode, should it be parts of Year One or should it be the first Batman story from Detective Comics 27 where we only know Bruce Wayne is Batman in the end?

I like both for pilot episodes and Year One storyline would obviously be used in much of the 1st season.
I think it would be a good idea to open the story well into Batman's first year. The "None of you are safe" scene from YO when he storms the mobsters' dinner would be a great first scene for the pilot. At this point I don't see much point in revealing Batman's secret identity until the end of the pilot, but it would be fun to play with the idea to show the perspective of other characters who don't know. The first season could have the occasional (smartly written) flashback to Bruce's training and sprinkle bits of YO here and there, as well as bits Long Halloween once more rogues show up.
I never watched many of the HBO shows but i did watch some of CW, they seem to give a good enough budget but there can't be too much risky content.
"Nikita" has surprisingly good production values for the CW and plenty of solid action, way better than "Smallville" had on its best day. "Batman" would probably be an expensive show, but it wouldn't have to start out that way. If they started the budget about the same as "Nikita" had, and made sure it was well-written and addictive week to week, they could raise the bar over time. Escalation baby. :word:

If they ever do decide to make a show, they would need a huge budget. And it would probably be wise to avoid some of the more "fantastic" villains. Or redesign them to be more budget-friendly.

Well, from what i saw in Nikita i think Batman could work but with a slightly better budget, since they would need to spend some money on the costumes, they could take some of the ones in the movies and modify them to make them less heavy and more pratical, keeping a klevar suit but on his chest, not on his neck since that doesn't let him move it much.

The Nobody is safe would be a great introduction, but shouldn't the first episodes start with Batman first as myth in his early adventures until the Gotham really notices him?

I'm open for both in fact, if a Batman show had to start cheaper then they could do more hand to hand fight scennes and with guns, and when they got more money they could introduce more gadgets.

The Same goes for the villain, i think episodes from B:TAS: Pretty Poison and Heart of Ice made good introductions to the characters and it wouldn't cost much.

The Nobody is safe would be a great introduction, but shouldn't the first episodes start with Batman first as myth in his early adventures until the Gotham really notices him?
If they use that scene as an intro, they could have some dialog establishing this masked vigilante that's been messing with everyone's business; some figure he's just an urban legend, some figure it's a fad that'll pass soon enough. And when Batman crashes the party, that's him raising the stakes and taking the fight to the bosses. The could even use the dialog from YO, "The costume and the weapons have been tested. It's time to get serious."

The only way i'd approve of them producing a new Batman series, would be if they totally leave the campy atmosphere of the 60's show behind. Another thing that should be done is not have the show mired in boredom, like Smallville.

Lastly, with good scripts, creative minds, & adequate budgets the show could have potential.

Of course, i think that it should have the athmosphere of Batman Year one with possibly some episodes paying tribute to the cornier side of the comics but in an interesting way and not just a stupid way like the 60s show.

The show's main character could be Batman anf Gordon but some episodes could also have the point of view of the rest of the Gotham City citizens, for example, they could have the Red Hood gang's battles against batman in his point of view and later show the events in Joker's point of view in another episode

The only way i'd approve of them producing a new Batman series, would be if they totally leave the campy atmosphere of the 60's show behind. Another thing that should be done is not have the show mired in boredom, like Smallville.

Lastly, with good scripts, creative minds, & adequate budgets the show could have potential.
Of corse not, well, they could have one episode as a tribute like some episodes of Supernatural that have fun with itself :awesome:
But aside from that i would like them to take inspiration of not only Year One but also Grant Morrison and the Golden Age

If there was to be a Batman tv show...it'd have to be more stylized and closer to the comic. No more of this Nolan-realism stuff.

A Nightwing television show is the way to go. No Batman, just Dick Grayson in Bludhaven as a cop by day, Nightwing by....umm....night.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"