"Show 'em what we got!" - Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury

This could well be Fury’s best MCU appearance (including future films). I’m really glad SLJ is getting this chance.

So timeline wise does this take place before or after Bogota? It seems like after, but I thought Fury got promoted and moved up quickly after that. But here he is just a desk jockey more or less.

SLJ was great, although I wish we saw a bit more of his no nonsense, take charge personality, and I can't say I was a big fan of how they explained him
losing his eye.

The de-aging was pretty flawless considering how much onscreen time he had.

Yeah, I have to say I didn't even think about it after the initial time he appeared on screen. There was one moment with Coulson where I noticed it, but that might have to just not being used to him being younger so every time he appears on screen, it reminds me "oh yeah, he looks younger."

Yeah, I have to say I didn't even think about it after the initial time he appeared on screen. There was one moment with Coulson where I noticed it, but that might have to just not being used to him being younger so every time he appears on screen, it reminds me "oh yeah, he looks younger."

I thought Coulson looked off a couple times, yeah.

SLJ was a riot here and added a lot to the film!

Like Coulson, he lookef so young in this movie. What I liked about him HERe in this movie he just seemed so chill and relaxed and I liked it.

They made the character worse. He loses his eye not because of a betrayal but because of a cat. He gets the idea for the Avengers initiative but we don’t see what actually made him turn from joking cop buddy to a super serious spy.

I don’t see this Fury being the same one that Alexander Pierce said went into Bogota.

Ok. Time for the question on everyone’s mind

so because of Spider-Man the marvel u has already established that if you get bitten by a spider you become Spider-Man.

So if nick fury was bitten by a flerken does that make him flerken man? And if so is Samuel l jackson’s costume going to look like this when he fights crime...

Or this

Loved SLJ here. He was great in every scene.

Hands down the best character in the film, the only problem I had, although it was amusing, was
the cat taking out his eye.

For me, that makes no sense at all for the character, he should have lost his eye in a serious situation that perhaps taught him some sort of valuable lesson perhaps about trust, betrayal or something to that effect. Rather than making a cheap joke out of it, I'd rather they used their Fury's line to Pierce in TWS about keeping both eyes open & used that for inspiration on where he lost his eye.

EDIT - Actually there's another line in TWS in which Nick Fury says to CA that "the last time he trusted someone, he lost an eye"

Last edited by a moderator:
They made the character worse. He loses his eye not because of a betrayal but because of a cat. He gets the idea for the Avengers initiative but we don’t see what actually made him turn from joking cop buddy to a super serious spy.

I don’t see this Fury being the same one that Alexander Pierce said went into Bogota.

I'm surprised that people are flat-out spoiling part of the film in this thread. It hasn't been out two weeks yet.

One aspect of Fury's behavior is his willingness to twist or lie about events in order to manipulate people. He is a very Machiavellian character, which is something I've always liked about him. In The Avengers, he went so far as to take Coulson's Captain America trading cards, dip them in the fallen agent's blood, and throw them in front of Steve and Tony in order to motivate them. Fury had Coulson brought back from the dead in AOS and implanted with false memories to prevent him from realizing what had happened to him. As the spymaster, Fury uses whatever method he needs to in order to get people to go along with what he wants.

The story Fury told Cap in TWS falls right in line with his previous actions. He implied something that wasn't true in order to justify what he was doing at the time. It served his purposes. One can also assume that Fury wouldn't want to reveal the existence of his actual assailant. Secret weapons are best-left secret until needed.

My bad for posting about what happened Fury's eye I forgot to spoiler tag it, thanks @flickchick85 for doing it for me :)

IMO though @Xeno if you are coming into a particular forum/thread of a film you've yet to see & don't want to be spoiled in the slightest, you're kinda asking for your own trouble. I didn't even read the 'spoiler' free reviews until after I'd seen it because I didn't want someone spoiling something or perhaps being overly negative about a film I'd yet to see as I didn't want their experience souring my own.

Still though, my bad, I genuinely forgot to spoiler tag it. :(

My bad for posting about what happened Fury's eye I forgot to spoiler tag it, thanks @flickchick85 for doing it for me :)

IMO though @Xeno if you are coming into a particular forum/thread of a film you've yet to see & don't want to be spoiled in the slightest, you're kinda asking for your own trouble. I didn't even read the 'spoiler' free reviews until after I'd seen it because I didn't want someone spoiling something or perhaps being overly negative about a film I'd yet to see as I didn't want their experience souring my own.

Still though, my bad, I genuinely forgot to spoiler tag it. :(

I knew it was just an oversight. :-) I've seen Captain Marvel and I'm well aware of the perils of reading forums and reviews for films I've not seen. I still think that in general, we should spoiler-tag posts with major plot points in them. It's just a courtesy to other fans who haven't seen it yet. In a few weeks, it won't matter as much, if at all.

SLJ was awesome as always, and it was cool seeing a different side of him! Loved his dynamics with Carol and Goose!

The de-aging also looked incredible for the most part!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"