"Show 'em what we got!" - Samuel L. Jackson is Nick Fury

Could be just as simple as starting to recover her identity, memories flooding back or some realization things aren't quite right. That, or the whole "the Kree are just about as bad as the Skrulls" things-aren't-what-they-seem trope.

Is it a trope though? Usually the first person the hero encounters is the goody and their rivals are the “baddies”. Like if Harry Potter had bonded with some slytherins first instead of gryffindors he would have been dying to get into slytherin instead of gryffindor

Kinda, sure. We even have an example of the "the guys I thought were the good guys aren't what I thought they were" in the MCU itself, with Steve & S.H.I.E.L.D., The Winter Soldier and to a lesser extent The Avengers.

Plenty of instances of that broad idea in cinema going back over the years. I'm not convinced Carol entirely breaks from the Kree within this movie (she's still gonna need someone to fight alongside for the most part through these 20 years out in space), but an ideological/ethical falling out of sorts doesn't seem off the cards. I'm guessing they'll be "better than the Skrulls, though still kinda a$$holes who don't care if all us humans go down - but the enemy of my enemy is my friend", sort of uneasy-alliance territory.

First part of the movie she's obviously all-in with the Kree though.

Yeah. When the movie comes out I want to make a thread called “who’s side are you on, kree or skrull” to see what people say. Should have some interesting results

Double Toasted were pointing out how Marvel has perfected de-aging and shaving years off whole people, while DC are having trouble with moustaches. :hehe:

Yeah poor dc are having trouble with a lot of things

I'm starting to think they are for whatever reason going to fake us out with the eye thing. There's a shot with him having butterfly bandages over the eye but I think he gets injured but he has both eyes by the end. It's just going to be this tension in the film of everyone expecting it but then it doesn't happen.

Probably in the last few minutes of the movie someone will say “nick really wanted to be here but he got really bad pink eye” and that will be it lol

Probably in the last few minutes of the movie someone will say “nick really wanted to be here but he got really bad pink eye” and that will be it lol

Or he got his contact lens stuck in there.

Now if someone were watching this movie and had no idea when it was made, could they possibly mistake it for a film that was actually made in the 1990s, especially if they saw SLJ? Does he really look like his 90s self, or just a back projection of what he looks like now (similar to what they did with Michael Douglas)?

Totally, he looks right on-point. The hairline's probably a little lower than it would have been on Sam in the late 90s, but he looks damn close. The Negotiator type of look.

Douglas looks 99.99% perfect in the Ant-Man flashback too, how could anyone possibly have any nitpicks with that? Russell in Guardians 2, also, this de-ageing tech is pretty shockingly effective. I never would have figured it'd look as good as it actually does.

Totally, he looks right on-point. The hairline's probably a little lower than it would have been on Sam in the late 90s, but he looks damn close. The Negotiator type of look.

Douglas looks 99.99% perfect in the Ant-Man flashback too, how could anyone possibly have any nitpicks with that? Russell in Guardians 2, also, this de-ageing tech is pretty shockingly effective. I never would have figured it'd look as good as it actually does.

I'm not talking about the CGI effects on Douglas though. They were pretty perfect for its technique. It's that he doesn't actually look like 80s Douglas.

80s Douglas had a larger and fuller face with a bit more of a double chin. De-aged Douglas looks like they took his look now (where he had lost a lot of weight due to his illness) and extrapolated it backwards. So he looks a bit like a Michael Douglas that never was.

I kind of like that it is almost an Elseworlds Sam Jackson that never existed. Looks so good.

gordongekko.jpg

v1.bjsyNDA0MDI7ajsxNzgyMjsxMjAwOzQ3Nzs3MjA

michael-douglas-wants-an-ant-man-prequel-film-that-focuses-on-the-adventures-of-a-younger-hank-pym-social.jpg

*Shrugs* Looks pretty uncanny a resemblance to me. Just a different haircut and stuff.

gordongekko.jpg

v1.bjsyNDA0MDI7ajsxNzgyMjsxMjAwOzQ3Nzs3MjA

michael-douglas-wants-an-ant-man-prequel-film-that-focuses-on-the-adventures-of-a-younger-hank-pym-social.jpg

*Shrugs* Looks pretty uncanny a resemblance to me. Just a different haircut and stuff.

You can see in the 2nd pic that he has a larger and fuller face. But the first pic you posted makes it hard for anyone in this thread to tell, because Douglas has his head down and the pic is small. Also, it's not all that representative of him.

These pics show what I'm talking about better and are more typically what Douglas looked like in the 80s:

235001__71816.1342530998.380.500.jpg

image.jpeg

As you can see, he has the double chin going on. Also, his cheeks are fatter and fuller. You can even see that in the 2nd pic you posted.

The version from Ant-Man is a more streamlined version of him where the double chin has been completed eradicated, and the puffier cheeks are gone. I know that if I saw that clip from Ant-Man and didn't know it was a de-aged clip, I would wonder when exactly that was filmed because I wouldn't place it in the 80s along with his other films. It looks like a more idealised version of him that never existed.

Or an Elseworlds Douglas, like Iceman said of SLJ.

They've taken the current Michael Douglas and projected his look backwards rather than using the actual 80s look.

That's why I asked whether it's a true SLJ 90s look or whether it's more of an idealised look or one extrapolated backwards from how he is now.

Haha, was about to say...

:applaud Yeah. It's close enough, it's not going to be 100% exact. College-kid Stark in CW probably has some little minor off-details to Downey in '91 too - it's more than close enough however. And I seriously doubt it's done intentionally to create some "version of them that never really existed, so as to separate the character from the actor" or whatever. It's just imperfections in that it's human beings creating a facsimile, and human beings aren't perfect.

It's a million times better-looking than it feasibly has any right to be.

Haha, was about to say...

:applaud Yeah. It's close enough, it's not going to be 100% exact. College-kid Stark in CW probably has some little minor off-details to Downey in '91 too - it's more than close enough however. And I seriously doubt it's done intentionally to create some "version of them that never really existed, so as to separate the character from the actor" or whatever. It's just imperfections in that it's human beings creating a facsimile, and human beings aren't perfect.

It's a million times better-looking than it feasibly has any right to be.

Oh don't get me wrong. I agree it looks fantastic and very convincing for what it is. For people who haven't watched any SLJ or Michael Douglas films back then, they probably wouldn't even know at all. Many millennials who weren't around in the 80s might not even know who Michael Douglas is other than seeing him in Ant-Man.

I had seen a lot of Michael Douglas films though like Romancing the Stone, Jewel of the Nile, The War of the Roses, Wall St, Fatal Attraction, Basic Instinct, Disclosure, the American President....

In fact, I'm suddenly feeling the urge to create a top 10 Michael Douglas films list. :D

Eh I’m fine with them not looking 100% like we knew they did. It’s not supposed to be exactly a clone. Young Laurence Fishbourne jarred me a bit but worked in the context.

I think seeing Sam Jackson young in this definitely makes it feel like more of a 90s movie. I hope the Earth scenes are reminiscent of Speed. That’s my favorite 90s action movie.

Yaaaas fury is a cat dad! Finally some badass representation

I must admit I was shook with the revelation. I guess he is a bit of an introvert and he doesn’t want to hang with people who are gullible, just people who keep their circle small

Eh I’m fine with them not looking 100% like we knew they did. It’s not supposed to be exactly a clone. Young Laurence Fishbourne jarred me a bit but worked in the context.

I think seeing Sam Jackson young in this definitely makes it feel like more of a 90s movie. I hope the Earth scenes are reminiscent of Speed. That’s my favorite 90s action movie.

I know this is an old post, but...

Laurence Fishburne's son Langston played young Bill Foster in AM&TW. That's why he looked different from his father at the same age. Marvel did the same thing in Black Panther, casting John Kani's son as young King T'Chaka.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"