Skepticism regarding Suicide Squad

The Assault on Arkham look (maybe minus the crop top and replacing it with a longer top) with the mask would have been perfect.

:up: What I was advocating for, though I would have compromised on the mask for pigtails okay. Just with a black dyed one instead of blue, of course, to match.

I've never read the comic, but I've heard it has a good reputation. I'm hopeful this will be a good movie even if I haven't really liked most of the character reveals so far. I'm just hoping that the edgy, less comic booky look (for the most part) isn't a sign of the overall films quality and just speaks to the aesthetics only.

:up: What I was advocating for, though I would have compromised on the mask for pigtails okay. Just with a black dyed one instead of blue, of course, to match.

Yes. That would be good too. I'm going to guess the current look is her just-throw-something-on look, so maybe we see some costume changes that are to our liking.

The Assault on Arkham look (maybe minus the crop top and replacing it with a longer top) with the mask would have been perfect.

I would have liked this too or maybe a variation of what she's wearing in Arkham Knight.

I understand where you're coming from. Their designs have grown on me, but I can understand perfectly well why others still don't like them (especially Harley's).

First, I feel the need to point this out given how many smart ash comments I receive every time I mention not liking something about these movies, thank you for responding with a chill attitude even though you don't necessarily agree with me. Refreshing, particularly on this sub-forum the last couple weeks. I'm a big boy, I can handle it but it's always nice to have an actual conversation.

Why not?

RE: race-bending: I generally don't have a problem with it.

As I said, Will Smith should be playing a hero in my opinion. I don't think he'll play the character the way I'd like to see it adapted (yes, I realize my opinions aren't the end all be all, the Director should be able to do what they want). I just think they'll have to make him more of a sympathetic villain to fit his strengths as an actor. And there should be some of that, because of his Daughter and what not but I feel like, to be honest, Will is too likable to play a villain. Maybe I'll be wrong and he'll pull it off but I'm alittle skeptical. Though, I wouldn't go as far as to say that I think he will bad in the role by any means.

As for race bending, and this plays into the costumes as well, I prefer the look of the character to be adapted as parallel to the comics character as possible. The adaptation; IE: Changes to the source material, should come from taking the existing character (look & personality) and putting them into new stories. That's much more interesting to me. I'm not against any and all changes but only if they are for the betterment of the characters look or personality, in the case of the Joker and Harley's looks, I feel they look terrible even though there are still influences from the comics/other adaptations of the characters. It's not so much that they changed things, as much as it is that the changes just simply aren't good... in my opinion.

I'm not a big comic book reader, so a large part of why I like these characters is their appearance. And even if that wasn't the case I still feel very strongly that the look of the characters is very important in their interpretations, as I said before, particularly in the superhero/comic book genre. The way they look is a huge part of why they are popular enough to have their characters adapted to film in the first place.

I've read enough about most the characters to know what they should act like and that's the other large part of the interpretation I like as well, obviously, but the visuals are an integral part of the character itself IMO.

They still have plenty of time to explore his history and the consequences of specific actions and events.

I know, but I just would have preferred to see some of the things they'll be skipping instead of being told that they already happened. And I will never understand starting a brand new universe for the DCCU that is supposed to "explode the DC Universe" with Jim Gordon out of the picture, Dick Grayson dead, Barbara possibly being handicapped already, skipping Harley's transformation from Psychologist to Joker's sidechick, etc., etc. and any other drawbacks from starting the new Universe with a mid-40s Batman (If I were in charge Batman would hang it up shorty before turning 50, just my preference). They are just skipping over some things I would have liked to see and have been hoping to see for a long time on the big screen. Things that are very interesting parts of the mythos.

I'm curious: why don't you like Viola Davis?

Personally I find her to be an over-actor, something that's a huge pet peeve for me. Her characters don't feel as natural to me because I feel like she goes overboard and it takes me out of the scenes because it feels like she's reading off the script rather than me believing she just is the character. I find her kind of obnoxious, though alot of her characters seem like they are supposed to be obnoxious so I guess maybe that's kind of a empty critique in some ways but it's off-putting for me.

Last edited:
Personally I find her to be an over-actor, something that's a huge pet peeve for me. Her characters don't feel as natural to me because I feel like she goes overboard and it takes me out of the scenes because it feels like she's reading off the script rather than me believing she just is the character. I find her kind of obnoxious, though alot of her characters seem like they are supposed to be obnoxious so I guess maybe that's kind of a empty critique in some ways but it's off-putting for me.

I can respect that opinion, but I disagree. I'll admit I haven't seen her act recently, but she seemed very genuine in The Help. Her last scene in that movie was brilliant acting, IMO.

I'm not expecting this to not be good, but just some things to mention:

- I don't like the Joker's look, redundant tattoos and all (like this hasn't been brought up), but the more "Puddin'" shows up on Robbie, the more concerned I get that they may well take certain things about these two characters and beat them to death. Like a Simpsons movie where Bart keeps saying "Eat my shorts" while wearing an Eat My Shorts pair of shorts and eating his Eat My Shorts brand cereal, now in the breakfast aisle at your local supermarket. Yes, that's your catchphrase, shut up.

- The only movie I've seen that David Ayer directed is End of Watch, and I didn't like it. Now I'm not going to write off a director's filmography because one movie wasn't that great, and he did write Training Day which I loved, but him being the director doesn't fill me with any special assurance.

- I hope Deadshot doesn't wear the mask much. I'd be open to a comic look for him if the mask came off better than that, but as it is I prefer the Arrow Deadshot's look. And I'm not entirely sure about Will Smith in the role, although he could prove me wrong.

- I'm not nearly as impressed by Margot Robbie's looks as a lot of people on here. No, that doesn't ruin the character or mean she'll give a bad performance (I expect a good performance based on what we've seen), but after all the raving about how perfect and amazing and impossibly good looking she is, I felt the need to say it at least once.

There's certainly positive things I could say about it, too, like the general premise or my interest in Cara's character, but I don't see a specific thread for that, so...

Last edited:
I can respect that opinion, but I disagree. I'll admit I haven't seen her act recently, but she seemed very genuine in The Help. Her last scene in that movie was brilliant acting, IMO.

Yea, the load of her performances are very genuine to me...Maybe he's on about her acting in How To Get Away With Murder, there I guess I can see where he's coming from with the "over acting" but it's a rare occurence and her overall acting is pretty natural to me.

Yea, the load of her performances are very genuine to me...Maybe he's on about her acting in How To Get Away With Murder, there I guess I can see where he's coming from with the "over acting" but it's a rare occurence and her overall acting is pretty natural to me.

Eh, we don't all see things the same way. Even though we're watching the same thing, I see it one way, you see it another. We're different people with different preferences, to be expected.

All that said, I think her acting style fits the character of Amanda Waller, so while I don't like the actress I think she's a good fit and will give a solid performance.

First, I feel the need to point this out given how many smart ash comments I receive every time I mention not liking something about these movies, thank you for responding with a chill attitude even though you don't necessarily agree with me. Refreshing, particularly on this sub-forum the last couple weeks. I'm a big boy, I can handle it but it's always nice to have an actual conversation.

Don't mention it. :yay:

As I said, Will Smith should be playing a hero in my opinion. I don't think he'll play the character the way I'd like to see it adapted (yes, I realize my opinions aren't the end all be all, the Director should be able to do what they want). I just think they'll have to make him more of a sympathetic villain to fit his strengths as an actor. And there should be some of that, because of his Daughter and what not but I feel like, to be honest, Will is too likable to play a villain. Maybe I'll be wrong and he'll pull it off but I'm alittle skeptical. Though, I wouldn't go as far as to say that I think he will bad in the role by any means.

Gotcha, gotcha.

I dunno, man. I see what you're saying, but I think Smith is more than capable of being scummy.

As for race bending, and this plays into the costumes as well, I prefer the look of the character to be adapted as parallel to the comics character as possible. The adaptation; IE: Changes to the source material, should come from taking the existing character (look & personality) and putting them into new stories. That's much more interesting to me. I'm not against any and all changes but only if they are for the betterment of the characters look or personality, in the case of the Joker and Harley's looks, I feel they look terrible even though there are still influences from the comics/other adaptations of the characters. It's not so much that they changed things, as much as it is that the changes just simply aren't good... in my opinion.

I'm not a big comic book reader, so a large part of why I like these characters is their appearance. And even if that wasn't the case I still feel very strongly that the look of the characters is very important in their interpretations, as I said before, particularly in the superhero/comic book genre. The way they look is a huge part of why they are popular enough to have their characters adapted to film in the first place.

I've read enough about most the characters to know what they should act like and that's the other large part of the interpretation I like as well, obviously, but the visuals are an integral part of the character itself IMO.

I think everything you just said is perfectly valid. I even agree with you, to a certain extent, but at the end of the day, it's just one of those things that don't bother me.

I know, but I just would have preferred to see some of the things they'll be skipping instead of being told that they already happened.

Well, that's the thing: you still can. Flashbacks, dream sequences, hallucinations...there's no reason to assume that you won't eventually see how everything played out.

And I will never understand starting a brand new universe for the DCCU that is supposed to "explode the DC Universe" with Jim Gordon out of the picture, Dick Grayson dead, Barbara possibly being handicapped already, skipping Harley's transformation from Psychologist to Joker's sidechick, etc., etc.

The purpose of it is to impress upon the audience that Batman is a seasoned veteran.

I doubt it'll surprise you to know that I disagree, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. :woot:

I'm worried about the shared universe thing. I find Man of Steel to be an empty garbage bin and have little hope for BvS, other than it's gonna be "kinda hot". I struggle to fit SS in the same world and timeline with Man of Steel.

Gotcha, gotcha.

I dunno, man. I see what you're saying, but I think Smith is more than capable of being scummy.

Yup, not saying it's impossible, just saying I'm alittle skeptical about him pulling it off convincingly.

I think everything you just said is perfectly valid. I even agree with you, to a certain extent, but at the end of the day, it's just one of those things that don't bother me.

I have no problem admitting that means more to me than it does to other people. It's not so much purism as it is just a personal preference, especially given how long we've waited to see some of these characters.

Well, that's the thing: you still can. Flashbacks, dream sequences, hallucinations...there's no reason to assume that you won't eventually see how everything played out.

Sure, I just would have preferred it the other way considering these movies are set in a Universe, an ongoing, unfolding story that's not limited to 1 movie or a trilogy, but has plenty of time to tell all these stories. Again, just a personal preference, I would have started with a Batman in his 30's with alot of those storylines in front of him rather than flashbacks, dream sequences and the like. I would have liked to see those aspects played out with more detail than is capable with flashbacks.

The purpose of it is to impress upon the audience that Batman is a seasoned veteran.

I know, just not what I would have done for a brand new Universe.

I doubt it'll surprise you to know that I disagree, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion. :woot:

Not a problem, I realize I'm in the minority with that opinion.

Eh, we don't all see things the same way. Even though we're watching the same thing, I see it one way, you see it another. We're different people with different preferences, to be expected.

All that said, I think her acting style fits the character of Amanda Waller, so while I don't like the actress I think she's a good fit and will give a solid performance.

Fair enough :up:. I do kinda see where you're coming from though. Just not too bothered by it I guess.

I'm hesitant to see how they bring in the more magical element to the DCU.

Last edited:
Not a fan of Waller being the DCU Nick Fury, at least not outside of the Suicide Squad itself or Checkmate it they go that route. She can be the Nick Fury of those villain squads but I don't think she should have an integral part of leading/forming any other teams, particularly any team of superhero's. I like her better as a villain. I'd also rather see Lex Luthor, The Joker and Darkseid lead their own factions/henchmen as well. With the other main villains I'd like to see them team up more as a matter of convenience rather than a concentrated recruiting team up, though I do like the Legion of Doom idea as an exception, again, not with Waller leading the charge though.

Don't think there really should be a Nick Fury type of character in the DCU. I prefer the idea of the Trinity forming the Justice League and recruiting new members as it expands.

Last edited:
^Yea, I agree. I don't imagine she'll have any say on how the JL will run. She'll probably be some sort of an anti-hero in this universe. Maybe sometimes the JL will need her and sometimes she'll need them?

^ I agree. I would be fine if Waller was a Fury-type character in SS, but the JL shouldn't have anything like that. I see them as self-governing body. In MOS, superman said the government would never control him, so I doubt he'd be open to being run in any way by a Fury. Plus, she's villainous and doesn't mix with the JL.

I think J'onn is a good choice for the role of "metahuman recruiter".

I think J'onn is a good choice for the role of "metahuman recruiter".

I like the idea of Justice League members making suggestions for additions to the team, for instance let's say they are looking for help in a certain situation and Batman says "well I know/heard of this guy in Star City, he could be a good addition" or Green Lantern or Manhunter suggesting aliens/metahumans that they know or heard of that may be willing to help. But as for one member doing all the recruiting ala Nick Fury, I don't think they should go that route.

If Martian Manhunter became a part of SS primary story I'd put it almost on equal anticipation with BvS :cool: Actually if MM is in this at all I'll be floored ecstatic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"