Smash Bros + Ninja Gaiden = TMNT!?

They better not be. I want 20 TMNT characters, not 18 TMNT characters plus 2 Rabbids.

This looks really good. I'm not sure if they'll figure the Rabbids as part of that list. Even if they do, it seems they'll have quite a fun cast of characters to use. The levels all look really good too.

Can't wait to buy this so I have this and Brawl for fight parties.

They better not be. I want 20 TMNT characters, not 18 TMNT characters plus 2 Rabbids.
The fact that there's two Rabbids is what bugs me. One is fine; that's a fun little out-of-left-field character like Snake in Smash Bros. Brawl. Two is just wasting a spot.

But anyway, TECHNODROME! :D

The fact that the Technodrome is one of the levels make me wonder if they are planning on some of the characters from the old cartoon...maybe Bebop and Rocksteady, or even Fly Baxter. Who knows.

If they add Slash like many want, I really hope they add the version from the comics, as the cartoon version ruined what made him awesome.

New gameplay videos.

Manhattan Gameplay Brawl
[YT]EQvS79CC2kU[/YT]

Jungle Gameplay Brawl
[YT]zeDQN2iO6kg[/YT]

Dojo Gameplay Brawl
[YT]hZ4Y3ptUgB8[/YT]

Enemy Base Gameplay Brawl
[YT]F31fi83MtTw[/YT]

Sewer Gameplay Brawl
[YT]GgsTKezWtAM[/YT]​

I am seriously excited for this...I wish it was sooner.

Thanks for the heads up on this thread, Nathan. :up:

You're welcome.

Did you know that another TMNT game is coming out for PSN and Xbox Live? It's a remake of the Arcade version from Turtles in Time.

Link to the Thread.

Yeah, I knew about that one. I had actually talked to someone about that game, literally minutes before you told me about this one.

Developer Q&A from the Ubisoft Forums.

We asked you for your questions to the devs and you gave us a tremendous reply. Here's the first batch of answers straight from the dev team! Now, before you say, "hey, where's my question?" I should point out that more answers are coming. This is just the first batch.

Keep sending in your questions and thanks for the great response so far.

-QPK

Developer Q&A #1

1. Is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Smash-Up just Super Smash Brothers Brawl with a Turtles skin?

A. TMNT: Smash-Up is a Wii brawler, so of course it has some similarities with Super Smash Bros Brawl. As you already know, the game is developed by the Japanese studio GameArts, who also worked on Super Smash Bros Brawl. But apart from this common lineage, TMNT SU includes many specificities that make it a very different game from SSBB.

There’s the TMNT universe setting, the interactivity of the arenas, the different gameplay mechanics such as the way it handles ring outs /health bar balance, special Ninja powers, specific moves and combos that are launched through attack buttons plus all directions (compared to 4 directions in SSBB), the Arcade mode also works very differently from the SSBB story mode.

2.Any chance those of us with PS3's are going to get a new TMNT game too?

A. Currently we’re only focusing on the Wii version of TMNT: Smash-Up, in order to concentrate our efforts & deliver the best possible experience.

3. How will the combos work, will it be more like Smash bros or Tekken?

A. More like Smash Bros. in that you’ll be free to try to hit them with whatever you want rather than having specific moves that only chain together. However, there are obviously moves that chain well together, and those that don’t. There are also some guaranteed hits which most players will find quickly.

4. Similar to Super Smash Bros. Brawl, will single-player modes have several non-playable boss characters?

A.There are boss characters that can be unlocked after you defeat them in the Arcade mode.

5. Will there be objective-oriented minigames, or small games within the game?

A. There are a number of objective-oriented mini-games that pop-up during the Arcade mode. Once these are unlocked they will be available to play from the main menu. These include dodging kunai (ninja stars), collecting as many pizzas through a level in a selected time limit, speed trials for climbing a stage a high as well, etc..

6. Will story modes contain a separate cut-scene and ending for each characters or is it a single-based story?

A.There are separate cut-scenes for each character in the game, complete with their own endings.

7. How will the story modes be presented - Animatic style with voiceover/Motion Comics or CG animated cinematic (pre-render or in-game models)?

A. The story modes will be conveyed via original comics drawn by Jim Lawson, the TMNT Comic-book artist, with voice acting by many of the stars from the TMNT animated series.

8. Besides different "special" moves and range, will the characters have different abilities or special properties that make them more unique from the others (e.g. ability to move faster than other characters, ability to jump higher than other characters, ability to jump more times than other characters, etc.)?

A. Each character has been designed to be unique in the way they’re played. Elements such as range and seed all come into play. For example, Donatello will have longer range in his attacks than Raphael, while Raphael will be faster than Donatello. Also, characters will all have different attacks & special moves.

9. When characters grab an edge, are they invincible for very long? In Smash Brothers, players were able to exploit the invincibility time given when grabbing the edge to avoid fighting their opponent.

A. You are not invincible when hanging off a ledge. This is because the matches have a much smaller focus on ring-outs. There are still ring-outs in some stages, such as Manhattan, but some other levels are more about defeating your opponents through combat.

10. In an IGN preview of the game, there is a statement "blocking too much puts you in a vulnerable state". What does that mean exactly? Do they mean that you will be penalized for blocking too much (like the dizzy from your shield breaking in Smash) or do they just mean that you are vulnerable to throws and unblockable attacks even when blocking?

A. Blocking does put you in a vulnerable state leaving you open for opponents throw attacks. Players also have the ability to dodge moves (roll or move out of the way) which not only avoids a hit but leaves your opponent open for an attack. This comes in very handy and is very important for skilled players.

11. Further on blocking: how does the blocking system work? Are there low or high blocks or just one block? Can you block attacks targeted toward the back of your character?

A. There’s just one general block, blocking is blocking.

I'm really pumped about this.

The group of buddies of mine that I have over for SSBB tournaments are all primed and ready to add this to our list of party fighters to enjoy.

Woo.

It looks really good, pretty good fight speed too.

It just looks like it'll be more of an actual fighter than Smash Bros was, less relying on items, and more of a weapon fighter. Something like a 2-D Soul Calibur or something like that.

Can't wait.

Excellent. I was gonna have to miss it because I wasn't going to buy a Wii.

I'm wondering how the PS2 version will fare considering this is built for the Wii.

You'll need a multitap for four players, plus there is no online for the PS2 version. Maybe it'll get an exclusive character or something.

This is out soon, I want to know who else is in this.

Give me a Triceraton or Fly Baxter.

Pretty much. Too much was promised ftom this title and too much was hyped.

PROS:
The fighting system is decent, and doesn't try to copy SSB down to a tee.
The online, while not perfect, is worthy.

CONS:
Combos are way too simplistic.
The roster. While I can forgive the small number of characters, the lack of certain characters is unforgivable. And three Rabbids is a shame.
The characters lack originality; some of them feel like they play too similarly.
While I only played using the Gamecube controller, the controls were extremely unresponsive. I found myself having to forcefully ram buttons to get commands as simple as roll dodging and throwing to work. I can't say much about the other control styles.

I can't believe they gave us 3 damn Rabbids instead of TMNT characters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"