The Amazing Spider-Man So now we've seen both, which was the best? - Part 1

Some of the TASM budget was actually from the development costs For Spiderman 4 before they canceled it, so we don't know for sure what the actual Budget was for TASM

Raimi had no long term plans for his film series, SM4 would have been a TDKR style ending

Amazing Spider-man did a lot of things better than Raimi's first movie (mostly in it's portrayal of Spider-man/Peter Parker) but for me the flaws (Lizard, Uncle Ben death) pretty much brought it down to equal ground with the first movie. So it's hard for me to say which I like more.

Before ASM came out I was hoping the movie would actually draw the origin out longer, having most of the story take place before Uncle Ben dies. They could've stuck closer to amazing fantasy #15 and shown us Parker developing his spider-man persona as a means to make money in entertainment, but instead they cut that part out entirely.

It's really sad to see that people preferred Webb's Spider-Man. The movie lacked inspiration, it ripped off many of Raimi's motifs while completely betraying essential character elements of the original comics. It was a huge let down for me and I kept on wanting to like it because the action was so much better and Garfield looked the part so much better, but in the end the story had no heart and it failed to represent the Spider-Man I knew. A 4/10 for me.

It's really sad to see that people preferred Webb's Spider-Man. The movie lacked inspiration, it ripped off many of Raimi's motifs while completely betraying essential character elements of the original comics. It was a huge let down for me and I kept on wanting to like it because the action was so much better and Garfield looked the part so much better, but in the end the story had no heart and it failed to represent the Spider-Man I knew. A 4/10 for me.

Huh?

Uncle Ben's Death was a blatant ripoff of the 2002 film (Peter lets the thief go because the robbed guy was a dick, and repeats a line he had said, Uncle Ben dies immediately after the Robber runs away, instead of in his house like the comics), as well as the crane scene which was done much better in 2002, since it wasn't as over the top and just plain stupid. Although I wouldn't use the word "motif" to describe these things.

Uncle Ben's Death was a blatant ripoff of the 2002 film (Peter lets the thief go because the robbed guy was a dick, and repeats a line he had said, Uncle Ben dies immediately after the Robber runs away, instead of in his house like the comics), as well as the crane scene which was done much better in 2002, since it wasn't as over the top and just plain stupid. Although I wouldn't use the word "motif" to describe these things.

Lol, yeah and both movies had Spider-man called Peter Parker. And so many cranes in Raimi's Spider-man!!!

Webb stop ripping Raimi off! :hehe:

Anyways, I'd have loved if the crane controllers had told Lizard something not corny and not over the top such as, "Yeah, I got something for your ass! You mess with Spidey, you mess with New York!"

Lol, yeah and both movies had Spider-man called Peter Parker.

I already mentioned things that were present in 2002 but not the comics. TASM ripped it off. That's a fact.

Also the villain's reason for taking the green serum was exactly the same, they needed human trials.

Peter lashing out at Uncle Ben being the last thing he did before Uncle Ben died, also was a ripoff.

There's probably a few more.

Anyways, I'd have loved if the crane controllers had told Lizard something not corny and not over the top such as, "Yeah, I got something for your ass! You mess with Spidey, you mess with New York!"

Corny? Yeah. Completely stupid considering Spider-Man's powers? Nope.

Last edited:
I already mentioned things that were present in 2002 but not the comics. TASM ripped it off. That's a fact.

Also the villain's reason for taking the green serum was exactly the same, they needed human trials.

Peter lashing out at Uncle Ben being the last thing he did before Uncle Ben died, also was a ripoff.

Are you aware of the number of movies and stories that have used those before Raimi did?

There's probably a few more.

Keep em coming.

Corny? Yeah. Completely stupid considering Spider-Man's powers? Nope.

Just to retort your own point with your own reasoning: Completely over-the-top considering Spider-Man's powers? Nope.

I really don't feel like I can compare the franchises yet, since the new one only has one movie so far, and the other one has three. However, just going by first movie vs first movie, I feel like Raimi gets a slight edge.

Raimi is without a doubt one of my favorite directors, and he knows how to put together a movie. Raimi decided to go for a more oldschool Spidey, and Webb went for a more modern approach. I like that. I like the fact that both versions are different. For me there are things that works and doesn't work in both movies.

If we start with TASM, I love the decision to go for the webshooters. It's closer to the comic, and I think Andrew Garfield is amazing as Spider-Man, with the witty banter while fighting criminals. If there was something I missed with Tobey as Spider-Man, it was that he didn't really do the funny lines while fighting, which is a bit of a trademark for the character. I like it that Oscorp gets a center role, and it feels more natural. Andrew and Emma has really good chemistry, but I also feel like Tobey and Kirsten had that as well, so maybe a tie on that part.

What makes me lean toward Raimi's first movie over TASM1, is just how great and memorable it was. There are several iconic and really good scenes, from the Spidey kiss with MJ, to the part when Peter sees Uncle Ben dying, and he overhears the police radio, goes through the alley and switching to his costume. That's really good filmmaking. I also enjoy that the "getting used to the powers"-part lasts a bit longer in Raimi's movie. Uncle Ben dying also had more impact in Raimi's movie. "With great power comes great responsibility" was a much more memorable moment, than the last words said by Uncle Ben in the Webb version. I also liked the score better in the original films, the theme is amazing, and one of the best overall I'd say. Can't even remember the new theme.

I don't feel like TASM1 had as much memorable stuff in it. Not to say it was bad or anything, but few scenes were amazing to the point of feeling iconic. I feel like Webb did a fine job for his first action movie (and second movie overall), but you rarely hit a homerun on the first try. I feel like TASM2 has the potential to be the best Spidey movie so far, and I think Webb has grown a lot.

Honestly,I much rather prefer Raimi's Spider-man over Webb's ASM. In fact I like the entire trilogy more than ASM. That's not to say that ASM isn't good. I really love Peter(Garfield) and Gwen's(Stone) chemistry. They felt like a real couple that cared about and liked each other and it really showed. I also love alot of the action scenes and the CG was alot better than the first Spider-man(2002).
But the film feels too dark,the whole Uncle Ben death felt rather dumb(Peter was screwed out of chocolate milk??),I didn't like Garfield as Peter(although he was great as Spidey)and the Lizard wasn't as vicious/fun as I thought he'd be.
Raimi's film(and the entire trilogy)has it's flaws,and the cheese factor goes a bit too far sometimes(esp. in part 3),but everytime I watch it,it I enjoy it and it's feels like a Spider-man film. I kinda find it hard to sit through ASM. Although I will say that the new film coming up looks to be a huge improvement.

Spider-Man 1 helped me get into Spidey and I think it's good but ASM is the superior origin film.

Raimi's Spider-Man with Andrew Garfield, ASM's practical Spider-Man acrobatics and Emma Stone as Mary Jane would be the perfect Spidey film and probably my favourite superhero film ever.

Such an odd poll, I thought the TASM series was hated?

Such an odd poll, I thought the TASM series was hated?

It is. This thread is 2 years old, and most of those votes came in after TASM just came out, and the new novelty had not worn off. The poll on this thread is closed, so more people could not vote since.

It is. This thread is 2 years old, and most of those votes came in after TASM just came out, and the new novelty had not worn off. The poll on this thread is closed, so more people could not vote since.

So just to confirm your reasoning, any poll regarding the TASM series would lean more towards the negative after a significant amount of time has passed since TASM released?

So just to confirm your reasoning, any poll regarding the TASM series would lean more towards the negative after a significant amount of time has passed since TASM released?

Yes. A lot of votes right after a movie's release are often knee jerk reactions to the new movie, and the mentality that new is better. The good movies are the ones that can stand the test of time and hold their popularity, if they ever had any to begin with.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=477303

Main vote is 8/10

If TASM annoyed people so much and turned them off the series, why does this poll indicate a significantly higher than average feel towards the film?

This poll happened 2 years after the release of TASM, so surely TASM2 should be more universally hated, no? Is it possible the dislike of the series on these forums is from a very vocal minority?

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=477303

Main vote is 8/10

If TASM annoyed people so much and turned them off the series, why does this poll indicate a significantly higher than average feel towards the film?

This poll happened 2 years after the release of TASM, so surely TASM2 should be more universally hated, no? Is it possible the dislike of the series on these forums is from a very vocal minority?

That's for TASM 2. Which is in the same boat as this thread. Those votes are mainly based off the initial reactions to the movie after it came out. When the shine wears off people realize how bad it is and the ratings drop.

Like how it's audience score keeps dropping on Rotten Tomatoes. But to be fair TASM 2 annoyed a lot more people than TASM did.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"