The Amazing Spider-Man The Amazing Spider-Man: Box Office Thread - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just looking over the whole TASM vs TDKR money debate they aren't even in the same league.

TDKR's budget was also only 230m after tax credits the film enjoyed:

Financed and released by Warner Bros., with 25% of the budget covered by Legendary Pictures, "The Dark Knight Rises" cost between $250 million and $300 million to produce. However tax credits brought that total closer to $230 million

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...es-tracking-avengers-20120716,0,4678609.story

So that's essentially the same budget as TASM. TASM is gonna finish it's domestic take under 250m TDKR will be near 300m after this weekend in only it's 2nd week. I don't know how this comaprison even started? :huh:

Yea, it is.

Also, I'm personally rooting for TASM over TDKR because I honestly prefer TASM over TDKR, but that's because I prefer the overall tone and feel of TASM to the Nolan Batmanverse.

Another example, using only Batman related media..
I prefer the Arkhamverse to the Nolanverse.

Well if it helps, I sort of agree with you about Bendis. Besides Ultimate Spider-Man, I pretty much despise every other work of him. Dan Slott in other hand is a genius. I want Marc Webb to get together with him for inspiration for the sequel. Dan must be the biggest Spider-Fan on Earth, and it helps that he can write Spider-Man like no one in the business right now.

Said the two Nolan's resident loonies of the Spider-Man boards. :oldrazz:

Yes I've been lurking.

Au contraire, mon ami and fellow spider-fan, Spider-Fan. In fact, marketing costs can lead The Dark Knight Rises having to struggle to break even, while The Amazing Spider-Man is close to start making profit.

The Dark Knight Rises has been affected highly by the Colorado Shooting at the box office, but that doesn't make its word of mouth sounding any better when we have so many people complaining about the film online and in real life. Calling the reception mixed is a compliment, and let's not forget that beyond the estimated $250m budget, it's been reported that TDKR marketing costs elevate its to $400m. In the same context, TASM budget + marketings costs are equal to $330m.

Yes, what happened in Colorado was a tragedy, but TDKR is in a freefall. I wouldn't be surprised if TDKR isn't able to reach $400m domestically, and with China not releasing the film there, it might struggle to get beyond $500m from foreign markets as well. People are taking in consideration only the shooting for TDKR's box office decline, but I think it goes far more deeper than that. TDKR is simply not as well received as TDK, regardless how you spin this, and it's been this way since the night of the shooting, when twitter was on fire with people saying that the film sucked. That was before anyone knowing about the shooting, and this mixed reaction has followed the film ever since.

So while I agree with you about TDKR probably getting more profit than TASM, it will be barely, or maybe my "crazy" TASM prediction will come true. Why? Yes TDKR will have the upperhand in the domestic box office. But just like I thought people were overpredicting TDKR domestically, I think the same will be said about TDKR in the foreign markets - mostly because of bad word of mouth and the film's length. At the same point, TASM had scored a far better box office profit in the foreign markets than TDKR, and TASM has the advantage of been released in China that TDKR doesn't. In the end, the worldwide box office of TASM can be bigger than TDKR, or way more close to each other than The Avengers, for example. I'm just not feeling the hype for this film at all, and I think it'll get worse as the weeks go by.

And I think TASM has a strong case with my claim that enjoys a far better word of mouth than TDKR. I've seen this all before - what is going on with TDKR - it's basically Spider-Man 3 and people in denial for people not enjoying it as much as it was supposed to be enjoyed by others. It's the "3rd part in a trilogy" curse all over again. I remember a lot of people trying to defend the film and a lot of Spider-Man regulars disappointed back then, just like it happened with TDKR on the other board this weekend/week. Make no mistake, the general audience isn't dumb. Don't think that they can be fooled and that there isn't people out there trashing this film hard. We don't need to look too far to realize that.

Short response: You're wrong. TASM won't make more around the 750 mil range max. TDKR will make close to a billion, probably a bit over. EASILY makes it the more profitable film. TASM has no hope of making more of a profit than TDKR. TDKR will be in the black before it is out of theaters. TASM may have to wait to DVD and such til it makes profit. You're prediction isn't crazy. It just won't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"