So then....rate and rank every Batman movie

An artist can't critique their own work, they are too close to it to be objective-!

IDK about all of that, the further you get from the film it does have its drawbacks-I see what he's sayin. By comparison, Beetlejuice is a more complete movie I think.

Batman is a classic.

I personllay love it still-I've sat thru it many times...it's a bench mark- like pre/post Superman the movie, pre/post Spidey1. Man when that mug came out it ran ****! I was in 7th grade I think...one of my few VHS holdouts.

Last edited:
Beetlejuice bores me way more than B'89. I'm not that big of a Burton fan outside of his Batman films. Not even going to see Alice In Wonderland.

Beetlejuice bores me way more than B'89. I'm not that big of a Burton fan outside of his Batman films. Not even going to see Alice In Wonderland.

I can see that. I also think every character not 'the ghost with the most' was written intentionally dry and or annoying. Even Baldwin and hottass Geena Davis were like meh.

I've enjoyed Burton's work, not so much latley tho. 'Alice' looks like Burton style on 'roids, waayy to much for me. That's the rub w/ visual directors, at some point they all go over top, and lose people at some point.

The Dark Knight
Batman Begins
Batman (1989)
Batman Returns
Batman Forever
MOTP
SubZero
Batman (1966)
Batman & Robin

I heard hisses and groans when Batman dropped Maroni, no laughter.

The audiences I was with usually gasped and/or cringed.

Batman MoP is the best IMO of course. you just feel it the most and (surprise!!!) it's actually about Batman

My ranking would go like this:

The Dark Knight
Batman Returns
Batman Begins
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
Batman '89
Batman: Sub Zero
Batman Forever
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Batman and Robin

Last edited:
The Best:

Batman Returns (1992):

In terms of tone and style, it's a lot like B89 but it's got more depth. Batman/Bruce Wayne has a more convincing romantic relationship with Selina Kyle/Catwoman than with Vicky Vale. A more three-dimensional villain in The Penguin than The Joker because let's face it, The Joker is just evil incarnate. It manages well to juggle two main villains and one femme-fatale without overshadowing Batman too much and Tim Burton has more creative input on this one. That's all I got to say that makes this slightly better than B89.

Batman (1989):

To me a great adaptation of Batman is not about being 100% faithful to the comics but being true to the tone, style and spirit of a good time period in Batman's 70 years history. Tim Burton's Batman is very close to the original Gothic/Pulp Fiction vision of creators Bill Finger and Bob Kane in 1939/1940. Michael Keaton is the best Batman, you're convinced he's Batman just by him not saying anything and staring. Generally people think he's a terrible Bruce Wayne just because he doesn't do the playboy routine plus he's awkward/weird which I think is intentional on Burton's part but I like this take of the persona, it's less obvious that he's pulling an act to hide something this way and besides, Wayne in the early comics was not so much of a public figure. Jack Nicholson's Joker is my favorite live-action take of the character over Heath Ledger and Cesar Romero respectively, he has a amusing dark/violent cartoon slapstick humor and has a darkly funny way of murdering people. The reason why Tim Burton is my favorite Batman director is the way he tells the story, the beautifully dark visual style that is a cross between Film-noir/German Expressionism/Gothic Horror and how he presents deep psychological themes in the story but still gives it that fun comic book feel. There one flaw in B89 that I think Returns corrects, that's the weak relationship Bruce Wayne has with Vicky Vale.

Great:

Batman: Mask of Phantasm (1993)
Batman Begins (2005)

Good:

Batman: Sub-Zero (1997)
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000)
Batman: Gotham Knight (2008)
The Dark Knight (2008)

Bad:

Batman Forever (1995)
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003)
Batman: The Movie (1966)

The Worst:

Batman & Robin (1997)

^I would categorize Batman:The Movie(1966) under "good". That movie is a LOT of fun.

UTRD is up there with MOTP. loved new animated movie.

Yeah UTRH is one of the best bat flicks for sure.

The Dark Knight (2008) 4.5/5
Batman (1989) 4/5
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) 4/5
Batman Returns (1992) 3.5/5
Batman: Sub-Zero (1997) 3.5/5
The Batman/Superman Movie (1998) 3/5
Batman Begins (2005) 3/5
Batman the Movie (1966) 3/5
Batman Forever (1995) 3/5
The Batman Vs Dracula (2005) 3/5
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (2000) 2.5/5
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman (2003) 2/5
Batman & Robin (1997) 2/5

Switch BATMAN with BR & place UTRH in the 5th spot and you have my updated list. I've grown to love BR even more than I used to lately and find myself revisiting it a lot more than BATMAN.

1 - Batman Begins
2 - The Dark Knight
3 - Batman
4 - Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
5 - Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
6 - Batman: Under the Red Hood
7 - Batman: SubZero
8 - Batman Returns
9 - The Batman vs Dracula
10 - Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
11 - Batman Forever
12 - Batman & Robin

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Batman
4. Batman Returns
5. Batman Forever

Batman & Robin doesn't deserve to be on this list

Burgess Meredith as The Penguin, I love him. He steals the show in that movie, waddling rings around his fellow villains. Although Meriwether is pretty awesome, too, as Catwoman. I love the Bruce/Miss Kitka scenes.

I'll just rate them...

Adam West
Batman'66- 8.5/10

Burton/Schumacher
Batman'89- 8.5/10
Batman Returns- 9.5/10
Batman Forever- 7/10
Batman & Robin- 3/10

Nolan
Batman Begins- 9/10
The Dark Knight- 9.5/10

Animation
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm- 9/10
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker- 9/10
Batman: Sub Zero- 7/10
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman- 8/10
Batman: Under The Red Hood- 10/10

I felt it necessary to seperate them into categories because the ratings are very relative.

Batman'66- 4/10

Batman'89- 9/10
Batman Returns- 9/10
Batman Forever- 8/10
Batman & Robin- 2/10

Batman Begins- 9/10
The Dark Knight- 10/10

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm- 10/10
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker- 9/10
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker (uncut version)- 10/10
Batman: Sub Zero- 6/10
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman- 8/10
Batman: Under The Red Hood- 10/10

I'm just gonna do a Top 5 so my brain doesn't explode trying to make completely sure I'm okay with the order of the others:

5 - Batman (1989)
4 - Batman Returns
3 - Mask of the Phantasm
2 - The Dark Knight
1 - Batman Begins

1. Batman Begins - A-
2. The Dark Knight - B
3. Batman - C+
4. Batman Returns - C-

I've only seen the major motion pictures and the '66 movie so...

1) Batman(1989)/Batman Returns(1992) - 10/10 Tim Burton's cinimatic vision of Batman will always be the ultimate masterpiece for me.

2) Batman Begins(2005) - 9.5/10 Extroaordinary origin story on the silver screen and an excellent reboot by Christopher Nolan.

3) The Dark Knight(2008) - 9/10 Great Batman film and near perfection. However, a tad overrated- mainly due to Heath Ledger and his surprisingly sudden death.

4) Batman: The Movie(1966) - 7/10 A classic for its time.

5) Batman Forever(1995) - 2/10 The first film if a 2-film crapfest by Joel Shumacher. I was so dissapointed to see the film series go from dark gothic drama to nipplesuit wearing campy corniness. Only good thing about this film was Jim Carrey's Riddler.

6) Batman & Robin(1997) - 0.5/10 Colorful art direction and costume design does no save Shumacher's horridness monstrosity here. Possibly the worst comicbook film I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"