Sochi 2014 Winter Games

Ya. Its just weird. Yesterday with the women USA misses winning by one inch. It always seems that way. Both are interesting rivalries but really not great rivalries because the USA can never seem to win in the bigger games. To have a great rivalry the rival has to win every once in awhile:)

Not necessarily. As a Vancouver Canucks fan, I can attest to that. :(

That was a fantastic game! I was watching it on my phone during the commute. Well done team USA. Go Canada, go!!!!!!!!!

Oh lord out of all the teams in team pursuit speed skating for the USA to go against in the QF we draw the Netherlands? WTF. Sometimes I really do think these games are rigged.

Do you guys think the dutch are just that good at speedskating or is something going on here? Its not even like they need to try. No one can compete.

we couldn't sustain pressure in Canada's zone....Terrible on the pp....No forecheck..just FUUUUUUUUUUU I'M SO PISSED

Do you guys think the dutch are just that good at speedskating or is something going on here? Its not even like they need to try. No one can compete.
I think it's a combination of both. The Dutch just focus all their effort into speedskating and develop talent better. The US doesn't have the organization right now to pull in the depth of talent like the Dutch have.

So I guess the media is now drumming up a judging controversy in the ladies free skate. Anita can certainly speak with more authority on this than I, but it sure sounds like sour grapes yet again from the West at the Olympics. No one other than Elvis Stoiko said crap about Evan Lysacek winning gold in Vancouver without attempting a quadruple jump against Pluschenko who did. I'd hate to have seen the fire storm if it was an American girl than finished 2nd instead of Yuna.
Seriously.

Yuna did 6 triple jumps. Adelina did 7. It's like some people can't count or something. :funny: Although yeah, both Russian girls got a boost in their presentation scores, but everyone else did too. (Russians maybe got 1 point more than usual.)

I don't think the scoring spread should have been that wide, but judging by what they actually did, the placement was correct.

Yuna fans should be as gracious as Yuna is. It didn't look like she minded getting the silver at all when she got her scores. She doesn't even look like she cares about competing anymore. :funny: But hey, girl shows up once a year at the biggest competition of the season, kicks butt and medals, it's not really a bad gig for a skater...

That was a good game. Go Canada.

1-0 is nothing to sneer at. It's not like it was 9-0. Just means that we were on our toes the whole time.

Ya. Its just weird. Yesterday with the women USA misses winning by one inch. It always seems that way. Both are interesting rivalries but really not great rivalries because the USA can never seem to win in the bigger games. To have a great rivalry the rival has to win every once in awhile:)

Both teams have won the "big" game.. so it IS an awesome rivalry... :up:

For example... Let's go back about 12 years... (last 4 Olympics)

The IIFH World Juniors...

2003 - Canada beats USA (semi final)
2004 - USA beats Canada (final)
2007 - Canada beats USA (semi final)
2008 - Canada beats USA (semi final)
2010 - USA beats Canada (final)
2011 - Canada beats USA (semi final)
2013 - USA wins over Canada (semi-final)

The IIFC Men's World Championships...

Interesting... nothing of any significance during that time frame...

The IIFC Women's World Championships...

2004 - Canada beats USA (final)
2005 - USA beats Canada (final)
2007 - Canada beats USA (final)
2008 - USA beats Canada (final)
2009 - USA beats Canada (final)
2011 - USA beats Canada (final)
2012 - Canada beats USA (final)
2013 - USA beats Canada (final)

Olympics...

2002 - Canada beats USA (final) - men
2002 - Canada beats USA (final) - women

2010 - Canada beats USA (final) - men
2010 - Canada beats USA (final) - women

2014 - Canada beats USA (semi final) - men
2014 - Canada beats USA (final) - women

So of the 21 times Canada and the USA have met in the Finals or Semi Finals, Canada has won 13 times, and the USA has won 8 times... aside from the Olympic dominance, it's a pretty even field...

I once thought NOBODY could be our biggest rivals aside from the Russians and their Big Red Machine... but the US is arguably our biggest hockey nemesis the last dozen years...

:yay:

Last edited:
I think it's a combination of both. The Dutch just focus all their effort into speedskating and develop talent better. The US doesn't have the organization right now to pull in the depth of talent like the Dutch have.

I am not even bagging on the USA on this. Yea they had their problems. But literally no one can compete with the dutch. They have like 23 speed skating medals or something crazy. I mean ok the USA didnt do anything but it wasnt like anyone could do anything. Hell the russians couldnt really do anything on a rink that is theirs!

Too much perimeter play by the US. Inexcusable when you consider you have guys that can crash the net like Kesler, JVR, and Pacioretty. I can probably count on one hand the number of shots we took from inside the circles. \

Quick played out of his mind, can't fault him on Benn's crazy redirection.

Good game, Canada, you deserved it. Also thanks for getting Tavares hurt, JERKS! :mad:

Let's hope the US can at least salvage a bronze tomorrow and win a medal outside of North America for once.

Both teams have won the "big" game.. so it IS an awesome rivalry... :up:

For example... Let's go back about 12 years... (last 4 Olympics)

The IIFH World Juniors...

2003 - Canada beats USA (semi final)
2004 - USA beats Canada (final)
2007 - Canada beats USA (semi final)
2008 - Canada beats USA (semi final)
2010 - USA beats Canada (final)
2011 - Canada beats USA (semi final)
2013 - USA wins over Canada (semi-final)

The IIFC Men's World Championships...

Interesting... nothing of any significance during that time frame...

The IIFC Women's World Championships...

2004 - Canada beats USA (final)
2005 - USA beats Canada (final)
2007 - Canada beats USA (final)
2008 - USA beats Canada (final)
2009 - USA beats Canada (final)
2011 - USA beats Canada (final)
2012 - Canada beats USA (final)
2013 - USA beats Canada (final)

Olympics...

2002 - Canada beats USA (final) - men
2002 - Canada beats USA (final) - women

2010 - Canada beats USA (final) - men
2010 - Canada beats USA (final) - women

2014 - Canada beats USA (semi final) - men
2014 - Canada beats USA (final) - women

So of the 21 times Canada and the USA have met in the Finals or Semi Finals, Canada has won 13 times, and the USA has won 8 times... aside from the Olympic dominance, it's a pretty even field...

I once thought NOBODY could be our biggest rivals aside from the Russians and their Big Red Machine... but the US is arguably our biggest hockey nemesis the last dozen years...

:yay:

Sorry. Maybe canadians take junior stuff seriously but I am talking the big league rivalry here.

Sorry. Maybe canadians take junior stuff seriously but I am talking the big league rivalry here.

Lol yeah the Juniors is kind of a big deal up here.It's akin to march madness in the states. Great game US.As a leafs fan it's rough seeing Kessel and JVR go out like that.But not too rough:woot:

Lol yeah the Juniors is kind of a big deal up here.It's akin to march madness in the states. Great game US.As a leafs fan it's rough seeing Kessel and JVR go out like that.But not too rough:woot:

Yea I aint dissing juniors but most americans arent even aware there is a juniors:) Seriously no one except maybe the kids playing in it know its even going on:)

Was cheering on the Canucks. Well done.

I am not even bagging on the USA on this. Yea they had their problems. But literally no one can compete with the dutch. They have like 23 speed skating medals or something crazy. I mean ok the USA didnt do anything but it wasnt like anyone could do anything. Hell the russians couldnt really do anything on a rink that is theirs!
I didn't take it as you bagging on them. Analyzing what went wrong for the US and what they need to work on is really what I thought was being discussed. I think it's fine the Dutch are dominant at one winter sport, but for the US to not even get a medal in an event with their history is just sad. The US just doesn't have the money or talent pool necessary to outclass the Dutch. I think the USOC needs to look at US Speedskating as a whole to fix what's broken.

I didn't take it as you bagging on them. Analyzing what went wrong for the US and what they need to work on is really what I thought was being discussed. I think it's fine the Dutch are dominant at one winter sport, but for the US to not even get a medal in an event with their history is just sad. The US just doesn't have the money or talent pool necessary to outclass the Dutch. I think the USOC needs to look at US Speedskating as a whole to fix what's broken.

Yea but my real point wasnt the pitiful showing by the USA. Really everyone had a pitiful performance against the dutch. The USA isnt the only program who is going to have to figure out how to compete. I am not even talking about getting a medal I am just talking about actually kinda being close:) Just to edit that they have 23 medals in speedskating the most they had previously was 11 and only got 8 in the last games. Now that just is not normal.

Last edited:

Yea I aint dissing juniors but most americans arent even aware there is a juniors:) Seriously no one except maybe the kids playing in it know its even going on:)

Many Canadians, myself included, rate the World Juniors higher than the World Hockey Championships.

Many Canadians, myself included, rate the World Juniors higher than the World Hockey Championships.

Oh I am sure canadians do. But like I said most in the USA dont even know there is a juniors let alone when it happens and if we win.

Yea but my real point wasnt the pitiful showing by the USA. Really everyone had a pitiful performance against the dutch. The USA isnt the only program who is going to have to figure out how to compete. I am not even talking about getting a medal I am just talking about actually kinda being close:) Just to edit that they have 23 medals in speedskating the most they had previously was 11 and only got 8 in the last games. Now that just is not normal.
I don't get how they won 23 medals when nothing in their history showed they were capable of that. Really must have been a combination of a really good Dutch team and surprisingly weak teams from just about every other country.

I don't get how they won 23 medals when nothing in their history showed they were capable of that. Really must have been a combination of a really good Dutch team and surprisingly weak teams from just about every other country.

Yea like I said something just doesnt add up.

So I guess the media is now drumming up a judging controversy in the ladies free skate. Anita can certainly speak with more authority on this than I, but it sure sounds like sour grapes yet again from the West at the Olympics. No one other than Elvis Stoiko said crap about Evan Lysacek winning gold in Vancouver without attempting a quadruple jump against Pluschenko who did. I'd hate to have seen the fire storm if it was an American girl than finished 2nd instead of Yuna.
Yeah, though the South Koreans are *****ing too, I think Sotnikova won on points and started with a higher degree of difficulty, whereas Yuna Kim made a crucial mistake and started with a lower degree of difficulty -- and the Russian had the cleaner skate. (Will have to watch it again to be sure.) Kim's artistry is stunning, but still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"