Who was the best robin?

The most known Robin is Dick Grayson. Beyond that, the next to be named would probably be Tim Drake (if anyone) in the general public's mind.

Carrie Kelley would probably be the lowest on that list. A female Robin is probably unknown to many.

Dark Knight Returns is one of the most well know and read Batman comics on the planet since 1986. Anyone that's read it knows of Carrie Kelley. Of course the most know Robin is Dick Grayson. Both girl Robin Carrie Kelley and Tim Drake are unknown to the majority of the general public who don't read comics. Some might remember them on The New Batman Adventures animated TV series on the WB channel in 1997/1998 where they both appeared, but most none comic readers don't know of either of them at all. This is not a popularity contest so the point is mute anyway.

Tim isn't a Batman wannabe. He's actually said at times that he didn't want to become Batman. He didn't even really want to become Robin originally, he just felt that someone had to do it, so he would.
A wannabe is someone pretending to be something or someone that they are not. He's worn the Bat-suit and pretended to be Batman. By definition, that's a wannabe. One who imitates the behavior, customs, or dress of an admired person. He was also an unsanctioned wannabe Robin who was later officially accepted as Robin by Batman, but Batman was very reluctant to accept him as his new Robin.

How can you say that Carrie Kelley wasn't a wannabe? She was an unsanctioned version of Robin. That's a wannabe who was made Robin by Batman.
Did I say Carrie Kelley wasn't a wannabe Robin? No, I didn't say that. I said she wasn't a Batman-wannabe. She was a wannabe Robin who hooks up with Batman and is accept as his new Robin.

Tim was the only Robin to be adopted by Bruce Wayne, hence the name change. Jason and Dick were only Bruce's wards, not his sons.

-R
That's not true. Bruce adopted Jason and Jason Todd didn't and still doesn't call himself "Jason Wayne."
oj156r.jpg

Last edited:
So Dick Grayson was later adopted by Bruce, too, and he doesn't call himself "Dick Wayne."

If Jason gets adopted, i sure as hell would have raged if Dick wasnt. Dick doesnt call himself "Dick Wayne" because he isnt ******** like Tim. :awesome:

I think Tim got over his ******** and calls himself "Drake" again.

In Fact The Face Bruce talks about how he wasn't able to formally adopt Dick or Jason and was only able to make them his ward...but now with the laws the way they are, he couldn't make Tim his ward and had to adopt him to give him the protection that he was able to give Dick and Jason.

Wouldn't this, being more recent, had written that out of continuity?

And really you're going to compare Tim Drake's 12 episodes (of the total 24) as a lead character, the whole Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker film (where the story kinda needs him) and a few Superman Animated Series episodes to Carrie Kelly's one appearance as an imaginary character in a story told by a girl names Carrie Kelly?

That is just like comparing Tim's hundreds of appearances in the comics to Carrie's one appearance as Robin. This is a character who was later named Catgirl and taken out of the Robin role.

Also, how is Carrie going to be a "Batman" wannabe? She can't be BatMAN.

-R

In Fact The Face Bruce talks about how he wasn't able to formally adopt Dick or Jason and was only able to make them his ward...but now with the laws the way they are, he couldn't make Tim his ward and had to adopt him to give him the protection that he was able to give Dick and Jason.

Wouldn't this, being more recent, had written that out of continuity?

First of all, it's called Face the Face, not Fact the Face, and Bruce didn't say he wasn't able to formally adopt Dick or Jason and was only able to make them his ward. Bruce didn't even mention Jason because Jason was never his ward. Bruce stated the fact that Dick was his ward, which he was for many years, he hadn't adopted Dick as a son until Batman: Gotham Knights #17 (2001).
gothamknights17pg19dick.jpg

In Batman: Gotham Knights #21 (2001) Bruce and Dick file the papers and Dick Grayson's adoption by Bruce Wayne as his son becomes legal, and Dick Grayson didn't start calling himself "Dick Wayne" after that. In Batman #654 (2006), the Face the Face story arc, Bruce said "Dick was my ward. Legally. It gave him security. I think you should have that, too. However, the laws have changed, I can't adopt you as my ward. To have the security I feel you deserve, I'd have to adopt you as my son."
24991781.jpg

2en3fur.jpg
5bv4mq.jpg

And really you're going to compare Tim Drake's 12 episodes (of the total 24) as a lead character, the whole Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker film (where the story kinda needs him) and a few Superman Animated Series episodes to Carrie Kelly's one appearance as an imaginary character in a story told by a girl names Carrie Kelly?

That is just like comparing Tim's hundreds of appearances in the comics to Carrie's one appearance as Robin.
I'm aware of how overexposed Tim has been in the comics. But in animation Tim Drake was in one episode of Superman: The Animated Series called "Knight Time" in 1998, not a few episodes. And the Tim Drake in the Batman Beyond film is completely unrecognizable. Of course I've compared them. They both appeared on the same Batman animated series. They are both the third Robin's of their universes, Carrie Kelley's the third Robin of the DKU after Dick and Jason and Tim Drake's the third Robin of the DCU after Dick and Jason.

This is a character who was later named Catgirl and taken out of the Robin role.
In Dark Knight Strikes Again Carrie Kelley is sixteen years old, like many sixteen year olds she thinks of herself as being an adult and want's to appear older than she is.
1276397860dkray26rh.gif

And she obviously feels she's outgrown the Robin identity which she's had since she was thirteen and creates a new persona, Catgirl, she dresses in a variety of cat-themed outfits, however, she still is Robin to Batman, she is still Batman's side-kick and he even still calls her Robin.
127638412270b51d942cc89.jpg

Tim Drake, my guess is that he is around sixteen or seventeen, is a character who was named the third Red Robin, again after Dick (the Kingdom Come Earth's Dick) and Jason, and was taken out of the Robin side-kick role and is replaced by ten year old Damian, which Tim is very upset about because he apparently still wants to be Robin the Boy Wonder.
1276392294c0f881f2f6122.jpg

Also, how is Carrie going to be a "Batman" wannabe? She can't be BatMAN.

-R
Carrie isn't going to be a Batman-wannabe, and that's why I like her so much. She isn't a junior Batman at all. She's the complete opposite of Batman. She's not like Bruce Wayne, or Dick Grayson, or the others. Her parents are not dead, she isn't a ward of Bruce Wayne's or adopted. She's very different than Bruce, Dick, Jason, Tim, Damian. She's her own character, she has a completely different personality, her own style. She's spunky, cheerful, cleaver, funny. She has a sense of wonder. She's not dark and grim. She has no angst, she's not jaded. She has security. The enthusiasm of a young girl as a cheerful, spunky, resourceful helper counterbalances the dark grim nature of Batman perfectly, providing the human touchstone that prevents his dark inner demons from swallowing him whole. She's my favorite Robin without a doubt. She's the best Robin to me.
1276400656batmandark201.jpg

1224070582batmantdkr209.jpg

1224070472batmanthedark.jpg

Last edited:
I like Damian Wayne, he's more off a bad ass than the previous Robins. So far they are writing him to be a really good fighter, but for whatever reason I like his bad attitude. He reminds me more of how a real teenager would act.

Funny. That's the same reasons fans hated Jason Todd and voted him to be killed.

I came in just before Todd died and Robin has always been it for me. When I thought of Dick Grayson, I always think of the Batman series from the 60s and the Batman and Robin cartoon.

I like Tim since he's more of a nerd who can do martial arts. :p Dick and Damian are both the jocks.

Damian's charm really comes from the fact he's the bad cop of the team, wheres Batman's the good cop right now. Did anyone really care for Damian before he became a Robin for a good-cop Batman? Nope. Even Morrison considered killing him off in R.I.P story arc.

It's going to be interesting will Morrison dare to pull off a bad-cop Batman and Bad-cop Robin duo, since Jason Todd was a failure.

It's tight between Dick and Tim... :awesome:

But Dick just edges it for me. Tim is great though.

Can't believe Jason Todd got a vote... :dry:

I like Damian Wayne, he's more off a bad ass than the previous Robins. So far they are writing him to be a really good fighter, but for whatever reason I like his bad attitude. He reminds me more of how a real teenager would act.

Yup I agree 100%!

I have to say that both Dick and Tim are the best Robin in their own unique way .

Jason Todd because he was the only badass Robin. Plus, he'd shank me if I said otherwise.

rszbatmanthecult03of042.jpg

tumblrkz99a8f0uj1qbqx4x.jpg

Tim Drake.

With Damian as a close second.

All the others have sucked man ass.

Dick Greyson #1 just edges out Drake

Damian just because he was bad ass and we share the same name. And yes this is my actuall name. When i found out i shared the same name as batmans son not going to lie alot of bodily fluids left my body

I hope no blood.

Hard to say cause Dick Grayson I think is my fav character in all of D.C.U. so I want to say him. But if we are talking simply about there tenure as robin I may have to go with Tim cause I grew up with Dick as Nightwing and thus thats the character i idneify him more as. So dick is my fav characters of those who have been robin, but Tim is my fav as simply Robin.

Dick Grayson: Loved him in the animated series but loved him as Batman in reborn way better.

Jason todd: trying to get a handle on him I liked death in the family but the whole red hood thing annoyed me his batman costume from battle for the cowl was cool but thats about it

Tim: important character sure but he was never my favourite

Steph: a poorly underused character that would off been great if she had more stories

Damian: Loved him with Dick but now that he is with Bruce it is becoming extremely annoying.

Solution Damian goes and disappears and Steph becomes robin again.

You seem kinda dumb.

The fact you judge a character by how "cool" his costume was in a random miniseries was my first hint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"