Sony may bring backwards compatibility back to PS3, PS3 Slim

Midnite

Civilian
Reaction score
Source link

Backwards compatibility is a feature long-missed in the PS3 hardware, but a newly discovered patent hints that Sony wants to bring it back. Is this coming to the PS3 Slim? Doubtful, but stranger things have happened.
By Ben Kuchera | Last updated June 30, 2009 10:30 AM CT
640-ps3-horz-thumb-640xauto-3741.jpg

Those of us with 60GB PS3 hardware—with fully-working backwards compatibility—live in constant fear of something happening to our precious. There is nothing that beats the ability to play three generations of PlayStation games. According to Siliconera, however, Sony may be working on a surprise to bring that functionality back to newer systems.
The patent was filed in December of 2008, and shows a method where the Cell could fully emulate the Emotion Engine. "Figure 2 from the patent is a schematic drawing of how the system works. Figure 3A is a drawing of the PlayStation 2's chipset. Figure 3B is the emotion engine. Figure 4 is where the whole story gets interesting!" Spencer Yip writes. "It's 'an example of a host system based on a cell processor that may be configured to emulate the target system.' The target is figure 3B, the Emotion Engine."
So what does this mean? It could mean a few things, including PS2 games sold directly to consumers through the PlayStation Network. Siliconera raises an even juicier idea though: it's possible that when the PS3 Slim launches later this year, it will arrive with full, software-based backwards compatibility.
A longshot? Certainly, but the continued success of the PS2 shows there is an audience for these games, and the ability to play PS2 games on the PS3 is—in our opinion—a selling point that adds value to the system. Add that to the PS3 Slim, launch at a good price point, and you have quite the news story.
We can dream, can't we?

Wow if this is true I may now have to consider getting a new ps3, shotgun to the wallet

The problem isn't the Emotion Engine. The lack of a Graphics Synthesizer is the biggest stumbling block. I just read that every PS3 out there at the moment is capable of PS2 emulation, the problem is that the games would run really poorly.
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/06/30/ps2-emulation-already-up-and-running/

In time, we will see I suppose. I have a 60gig, so I'm not terribly worried about it.:oldrazz:

I think it would be a ood idea. it's the main reason I bought a used 80gig PS3 from Gamestop, it wouldn't have been that much more to get a new one, I could have afforded it. At least half of the games I own at present are either PS or PS2 titles, mostly because there's not a whole lot of decent RPG's for the PS3 yet , and there were a number of PS2 titles I didn't get a chance to play before my PS2 went belly up (Xenosaga 3, Justice League Heroes). There are still some more older games I would like to get.
I've already had to send my PS3 back a couple of times for exchange, costing me $140 bucks in the process, I'd feel a little better if they decided to re-up the BC on the PS3.

I love my PS2 Slim, just a fantastic system with endless use. If somebody doesn't have a PS2 or PS3, though, then they should totally look into a backwards compatible PS3; if they don't have a lot of cash, PS2 Slims are ridiculously affordable now.

I'm in the market fer an older PS3 with BC, but hearin' this I'm contemplatin' waitin' now...

So does this mean that the existing PS3's would get a firmware update/something to become backwards compatible as well? It would suck to have to go out and buy a PS3 Slim when I've already got a PS3 just because of backward compatibility.

So does this mean that the existing PS3's would get a firmware update/something to become backwards compatible as well? It would suck to have to go out and buy a PS3 Slim when I've already got a PS3 just because of backward compatibility.

Well do you want backwards compatibility enough to even think about doing that?

I would very much enjoy it if they added some firmware for atleast some games.

Doesn't need to be every PS2 game in the libary, but just a good chunk of what made the PS2 a hit. With PSN doing the PS1 digital downloads, seems like the natural evolution of things for PS2 digital downloads to become possible...and I imagine that could open the door for some PS2 games maybe getting the door opened sort of like how Xbox does it with an update.

Meh i bought PS3 80Gb like 4 months ago or so. Don't wanna buy a new one at all just for "God of War 1 & 2" and maybe a comple of other games. I'd rather wish if they just hit the PSN.

I think a firmware is possible, but I'm not sure it will happen. I think we will begin to see PS2 games added to the PSN actually.

Which is why I think maybe firmware could piggyback those.

Then again...some genuis at Sony might think they can get my money out of me even if I already own a copy, and buy it again on PSN.

But, them going to the PS2 libary is the obvious evolution. They've got a fantastic libary there.

They kind of already started adding PS2 games, technically. They released Buzz Jr. Robo Jam last week on the store which was a PS2 game. Maybe it's not a big game, but it could be the start of something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"