Sequels Sony Revives 'Venom' Solo Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the strength of Eddie's character: unpredictability. He views himself as heroic, but his sense of right and wrong is severely warped. Even when his ultimate goals are just, he often does horrible things in the process that later mortify him. Likewise, the symbiote has a sense of nobility derived from the Klyntar hive mind, but separation from it's species, suggestibility from its host, and a tendency to be aggressive also make it volatile. Those two elements make a character with an unstable, explosive personality in Venom. It should be easy for Sony to come up with a tight story from that starting point.

I love Brock's duality, so I definitely hear you on this. (I also hope that they take some inspiration from the more modern books and give the symbiote more presence than just a silent partner or stereotypical devil on his shoulder. I think it could be a worthwhile direction).

I like that Eddie isn't evil to the core, but tries to do good and keeps swinging back and forth on a dime but has a constantly building guilt and ledger for all of his antics. Your points on the symbiote are why I hope it does get some gravitas in this or a future movie. Despite some of the rough areas of his history, looking at Brock and the symbiote as a whole makes for an interesting character and journey.

I've been critical and still am nervous about the whole thing, but with Hardy cast, my hope at the very least is that this can be a decent first entry and that the sequels improve things.

If they aim for the better stuff and don't just throw together the superficial elements of Eddie, then they can dig deeper and make something worthwhile.

Great post. My thoughts exactly.

I can see what you're saying with this. Even when he's more villainous when Spidey is around (when he knew who he was under the mask), sometimes he would do stuff just to eff with the superhero. Simple things like having tea with May, or even hanging around Peter's friends with NO plans to do anything to them at all but have Peter paranoid thinking the worse is going to happen. It was a "maybe he will, maybe he won't" situation compared to most villains who know their hero's ID; who can't help themselves but to attack anyone and anything that has to do with the hero when around them.

I love Brock's duality, so I definitely hear you on this. (I also hope that they take some inspiration from the more modern books and give the symbiote more presence than just a silent partner or stereotypical devil on his shoulder. I think it could be a worthwhile direction).

I like that Eddie isn't evil to the core, but tries to do good and keeps swinging back and forth on a dime but has a constantly building guilt and ledger for all of his antics. Your points on the symbiote are why I hope it does get some gravitas in this or a future movie. Despite some of the rough areas of his history, looking at Brock and the symbiote as a whole makes for an interesting character and journey.

We won't get a beat-for-beat story from the comics, but if Fleischer can capture the spirit of Eddie's 90s incarnation, he'll have viable material for his movie. Even during Venom's early pursuits of Spider-man, he was often conflicted about his methods and goals. He didn't actively seek out violence against civilians, but sometimes it happened nonetheless. He spurned other villains for the most part, and he seemed indifferent to most heroes. He and the symbiote were sometimes at odds, and Eddie questioned whether being Venom was worth it. In reality, he was a tragic character who would have rather had a normal life than power or revenge.

If it's dependent on the success of this solo, then it's really in trouble.

I don't see this movie being any bit of a success, even with a name like Tom Hardy attached. If this movie bombs, then no Spider-Man Sony universe.

We won't get a beat-for-beat story from the comics, but if Fleischer can capture the spirit of Eddie's 90s incarnation, he'll have viable material for his movie. Even during Venom's early pursuits of Spider-man, he was often conflicted about his methods and goals. He didn't actively seek out violence against civilians, but sometimes it happened nonetheless. He spurned other villains for the most part, and he seemed indifferent to most heroes. He and the symbiote were sometimes at odds, and Eddie questioned whether being Venom was worth it. In reality, he was a tragic character who would have rather had a normal life than power or revenge.

Bingo. I love seeing that panel posted. It's short, sweet, and an important piece. I'm not sure if you saw my posts in the Homecoming threads, but I noticed an unexplored angle of Brock caring for May -- how it seems he at times uses her not only to get under Pete's skin, but almost as a maternal substitute. Stuff like that and how he killed Hugh Taylor are interesting to me, the seeds for him being more than a straight up villain were included early (I think as early as his second/ third appearance) and even if the anti-hero angle wasn't planned from the start (severely doubt it was), I see elements of it, working for Brock.

He started out feeling like he was doing a service to the public, telling the public a story and became a "victim" and wanted justice for being racked over the coals. Pre-symbiote, he didn't show any evidence of having an evil or scummy streak; he wouldn't go and try to kill Captain America if he got his revenge on Pete, or hurt civilians to make a getaway.

I'll always remember the panel of when Johnny Storm and Pete bring Eddie back from the island and have short scuffle. During the ride back, Eddie, puts his hand on Johnny's shoulder and sincerely praises him and his family's heroics, while dismissing Spider-man.

It's a weird moral ambiguity that I'd like to see played out on the big screen.

As you said, he'd rather have a quiet life rather than power; the famous battle where Pete faked his death. Brock didn't roll his eyes back in his head, laugh for 7 panels and declare that a new age of terror was on the horizon. He picked up the skull, smiled, whistled to himself, morphed the symbiote into beach clothes (abandoning his iconic look and embracing humanity once again) and went on his way. Heck when Darkhawk showed up, they fought, but eventually he feigned being dead when he realized the poor guy was going through some troubles.

Michilinie is the most overrated Spider-Man writer ever. Much like Slott, I think he had good ideas but not great follow-through on the execution side of things.

I don't see this movie being any bit of a success, even with a name like Tom Hardy attached. If this movie bombs, then no Spider-Man Sony universe.

tenor.gif

I say that as someone who adores Raimi's first two Spidey movies, but they were only great because Sony let Raimi have creative control on them. He's the reason they're great. The last three were all Sony products, hence why they were poor.

Michilinie is the most overrated Spider-Man writer ever. Much like Slott, I think he had good ideas but not great follow-through on the execution side of things.

I can agree about good ideas, I don't know if I've read his other works though so I can't really judge myself, could you list a few? In regards to his Venom ideas, that was out of his hands to a degree.

As I mentioned on the other page, Bob Harras threw down the mandate that a villain can't have a series, so they had the 5 years worth of minis, each headed up by a different writer for the most part who introduced new ideas and settings and after a while barley were connected to each other.

After Michelini planted the seeds for some plot points in Lethal Protector, the immediate replacement for the next "issue"/mini was Carl Potts for "Funeral Pyre" and that only used the Undergrounders a bit. Next up was Ann Nocenti with The Madness and that's a weird one.

Each book used less and less of what Michelini set up, the only thing that seemed to carry over was the use of Anne Weying in some of Larry Hama's writing.

This Spider-Man cinematic universe sounds like an awful idea IMO. The fact that it's being overseen by Avi Arad and Tom Rothman doesn't help, either.

I'm not opposed to a Spider-Man cinematic universe. It's the way they're going about it is what makes it absolutely dreadful.

I think this is a bad idea to have Venom in a standalone universe. Not only because the origin of the character and relationship to Parker/Spider-Man, but the fact we live in a cinematic universe now. It's silly not to have this Venom part of the MCU. He was one of the few villains that actually knew Spidey's true identity. Venom could make Fantastic Four look good. Especially if Avi Arad is heavily involved.

I think this is a bad idea to have Venom in a standalone universe. Not only because the origin of the character and relationship to Parker/Spider-Man, but the fact we live in a cinematic universe now. It's silly not to have this Venom part of the MCU. He was one of the few villains that actually knew Spidey's true identity. Venom could make Fantastic Four look good. Especially if Avi Arad is heavily involved.

THANK YOU. This is all so accurate.

Any villain Sony use to build their Universe, many are going to take exception to....because any of Spidey villains can be said should be included in the MCU, as long as Spidey is in the MCU.

I don't agree with what Sony is doing; however, I have already accepted the fact, they been wanting to do a solo Venom for some time now(since after SM3) & a Sony Cinematic Universe since after TASM.

As far as I'm concern, they are making the same mistake as WB; by not tying MoS with Nolan's Batman. I wanted to see Bale & Cavil on screen together....we know that's forever gone.

Whatever Sony wants to do...so be it. I hope for the best.

Honestly I'm not upset about the lack of Venom in the MCU, and heck I'm not opposed to the idea of a Venom solo movie, but I also feel that he's one of those characters you have to earn the right to use in a movie through buildup. Generally, Black Cat and Silver Sable can work without Spider-Man — after all Black Cat is simply a burglar while Silver Sable is a mercenary, neither's origins depend on Spider-Man. Venom, however, kind of depends on Spider-Man, or else you have no idea why he's wearing a black costume.

I believe there were discussions about merging the MoS universe and Nolan trilogy, but Nolan wouldn't do it, and there were concerns that Nolan's Batman had too much grounding in realism. Personally, I don't see it, as you only need to leap forward in time and have Bale as an older pissed off Batman.

Honestly I'm not upset about the lack of Venom in the MCU, and heck I'm not opposed to the idea of a Venom solo movie, but I also feel that he's one of those characters you have to earn the right to use in a movie through buildup. Generally, Black Cat and Silver Sable can work without Spider-Man — after all Black Cat is simply a burglar while Silver Sable is a mercenary, neither's origins depend on Spider-Man. Venom, however, kind of depends on Spider-Man, or else you have no idea why he's wearing a black costume.
I disagree...it's a story; and, there are numerous ways to explain or convey why, within the context of the story. Like you & many others, I just simply don't trust Avi/Sony to effectively do it or even go that route. Regardless of criticism, it's a done deal...they are pushing forward anyhow. So...I wish them the best.

I believe there were discussions about merging the MoS universe and Nolan trilogy, but Nolan wouldn't do it, and there were concerns that Nolan's Batman had too much grounding in realism. Personally, I don't see it, as you only need to leap forward in time and have Bale as an older pissed off Batman.
I understand Nolan position, if that's the case, given the recorded situation of the level of his involvement. However, that's not the point I was making...and you are right, retroactively, how they could have proceeded. I'm simply saying, huge number of fans of the trilogy, Nolan, Bale, and supporting cast, would have love to see those characters in a DCU, tied to Cavil Superman...not taking into account of tone/style. Regardless whose decision it was not to accommodate that; it was a huge missed opportunity imo....and of the opinion of many, many others.

Honestly, this is the only way to make a Venom movie:
Eddie Brock is an army man who got dishonorable discharged because, while good, he was a bit trigger happy. As it turns out, he was using his job in the army to get away with murder, and let out the rage. They're bad guys, it'll be okay, he thinks. Not the case. So he's out.

Back in New York, as a failure to the army, he decides to become a photographer, using his fearless approach to get the best images of events and such. Sadly, he is a failure to that too; missing the marks and being late to the party concerning those events.

Then one night, Eddie hears from his police scanner that Cletus Kasady, a horrible murderer, is in a police chase. He decides to follow and get the action. At the same time, a small but still dangerous meteorite falls into Earth i.e. Manhattan. Eddie catches up to the cops, there is a stand off where Eddie unknowingly being a part of it, as Cletus uses him as a hostage. Then suddenly, the meteorite falls in the middle of them and the cops, knocking them all out.

As Eddie comes too, with Cletus on the other side; we see the meteorite had a black and red ball inside. Then it splits open, the solid pieces turning into liquid, then we see the black liquid coming after Eddie as he screams, and then....

Eddie wakes up in bed. Doesn't know how, yet knows its not a dream, as the cops did chase Cletus Kasady, but the "freak event" relating to the meteorite is why Cletus Kasady is on the loose, with more murders confirmed.

Eddie goes to his work, he gets chewed up by his boss, he gets into an accident and makes a joke of himself, and during all of this during the day, his rage grows, and so does what is inside him. Then later that night, he stops a robber holding a mother at gunpoint; he gets so pissed off, and add in the thoughts of what he would do the guy, that was enough fuel for the symbiote to be unleashed. In front of everyone, and seen by himself, Venom is born, and takes care of the robber that keeps him alive, but in alot of pain and suffering that he wish he was.

Throughout, Venom becomes Eddie's "other self", as he takes on bad guys but more importantly, those that had brought Eddie down. This includes a scene where Venom threatens Eddie's boss to treat him right, like a king. And the next day, Eddie walks in and his boss is so scared, that Eddie is promoted above him. Basically, Venom is a mixture of a anti-hero, anti-villain, and a sociopath.

After that, we see Cletus weak and sweating, not sure what's been going on. Then he sees heads of his many victims, recent btw. Then, ina very Fincher style reveal, he sees a huge art piece that surrounds the walls of his bedroom and the ceiling of a forest. and its made from the blood, organs, and bones of his victims. "My art...could you be real? Its so beautiful" he says. Then his symbiote takes over, and then Cletus remembers the last couple of days, as we hear screams and pain, and Cletus can do nothing but smile. Then, once completed, we see Carnage on screen.

Soon, Eddie and Cletus cross paths, after dealing with their businesses that lead to them meeting again. They recognize each other, and both play threatening each other, but their symbiotes react with one another to grew closer, which surprises both of them. Then both Venom and Carnage reveal themselves as brothers, and a battle ensures.

Skipping ahead to the final fight: the Venom/Carnage fight leads to them being merged together, kinda like the alien ball from earlier. Inside, it becomes a psychological thriller. Cletus is a true monster, but Eddie really isn't, and is scared to see himself like one: he is just a guy dealing with people who bring him down, and has anger issues. Can't standing to see himself like that, or as someone like Cletus, he breaks out with out of his willpower.

It hits midnight, and the church bells ring, affecting both Venom and Carnage. Cletus doesn't know what's going on, but Eddie's old army self figures things out quick and makes the quick decision. Then, they are thrown into the top of the church, and Venom, despite knowing it will hurt him too, rings the bells. The sonics cause great pains to both of them, almost like they are about to die, but then the symbiotes break away from both of their hosts, leaving both Eddie and Cletus.Eddie and Cletus fight, with Cletus using his savage nature, but Eddie has his training to take down the physically weak Cletus. Then, Cletus is thrown off the church to the ground below, dying upon impact. The Venom symbiote reconnects with Eddie, but his willpower makes it sure he is in charge of the symbiote. The Carnage symbiote cannot be found, but is outside the church, looking for its next host.

The final scene has Eddie setting up his new job at a new place. The boss has him if he has had any anger issues, and Eddie grins and says no. When the boss turns away to take a call, the Venom "mask" is over the grinning Eddie Brock.

THE END.

That is the only way I can see a Venom movie, other than the only way, which is Spider-Man vs Venom. Duh! lol

Anyway, hope you like my movie idea. Yes, trying to make some movies and be a filmmaker ;)

Sony has control over Spider-Man so they should just throw him in this movie. If it doesn't contradict the MCU, I don't see the problem. It could be unofficially part of the MCU. Still using Holland, but no references to the greater MCU.

I really dislike the idea of Venom's origin not being tied to Spidey

I disagree...it's a story; and, there are numerous ways to explain or convey why, within the context of the story. Like you & many others, I just simply don't trust Avi/Sony to effectively do it or even go that route. Regardless of criticism, it's a done deal...they are pushing forward anyhow. So...I wish them the best.

Venom can't work without Spider-Man, even in his own solo titles as an anti-hero, Spider-Man is a key part of him.

Spider-Man is the whole reason Venom even exists, it's why he chose the name, looks the way he does, the morals, the origin of the powers.

Making a solo Venom movie without any connection to Spider-Man is like making a Robin movie without any Batman connection.

For those wondering whether Tom Rothman learned his lesson or think that Sony wouldn't possibly be dumb enough to do VINO, go check out what he's doing to Nathan Drake.

Sometimes I think he's learned his lesson because X-Men: First Class and The Wolverine came off relatively scot-free while he was still there. He's letting Marvel take control of Homecoming and its sequel. And he moved aggressively to acquire worldwide distribution rights for Blade Runner 2049, which Sony doesn't have creative or budget input.

We honestly don't know how much input Rothman gets, or whether he's willing to cut some slack since Pascal is co-producing.

Also rushing MOTU out to beat its license expiration date. Also wants Skeletor out of the movie as the central villain.

Bingo. I love seeing that panel posted. It's short, sweet, and an important piece. I'm not sure if you saw my posts in the Homecoming threads, but I noticed an unexplored angle of Brock caring for May -- how it seems he at times uses her not only to get under Pete's skin, but almost as a maternal substitute. Stuff like that and how he killed Hugh Taylor are interesting to me, the seeds for him being more than a straight up villain were included early (I think as early as his second/ third appearance) and even if the anti-hero angle wasn't planned from the start (severely doubt it was), I see elements of it, working for Brock.

He started out feeling like he was doing a service to the public, telling the public a story and became a "victim" and wanted justice for being racked over the coals. Pre-symbiote, he didn't show any evidence of having an evil or scummy streak; he wouldn't go and try to kill Captain America if he got his revenge on Pete, or hurt civilians to make a getaway.

I'll always remember the panel of when Johnny Storm and Pete bring Eddie back from the island and have short scuffle. During the ride back, Eddie, puts his hand on Johnny's shoulder and sincerely praises him and his family's heroics, while dismissing Spider-man.

It's a weird moral ambiguity that I'd like to see played out on the big screen.

Eddie's colossal weird streak was on full display in Venom #150. Think about this quote:

"The thing about love is that it's not gentle or soft. Not at all. Love is strength, and full of terrible purpose. Love is power, and it will never be done with you. It consumes you."

It was glorious to see that twisted outlook back in the spotlight. If Sony can capture this, the chances of them creating something to intrigue moviegoers are very favorable.

Great other than the fact that it ignores every bit of Eddie Brock continuity from 2005 onward. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"