Source Material Deviations

Bishop2

Sidekick
Reaction score
Since the thread with the unfortunate analogy in the title got locked, I volunteer we start a new one for these discussions in here.

Why is every thread that might be negative gets close with no explanations yet that stupid thread for "people with brains" stays open? Who's the mod?

Now that Singer and his team are conveniently out of the way, Rothman and the wise men at Fox have done what they've always wanted: subjected the X-men franchise to a long hard unprotected ****. As a result, it seems we've gotten the movie Fox always knew we wanted: The X-men movie by studio committee, guaranteed to kick 34% more ass and raise the intensity level up 6.2 notches. In order to produce this Frankensteinian masterpiece, the source material was also subjected to a good ****ing, whence came the juice with which they brought this monster to life.

I really feel that when this movie was made, despite Zak and Simon's shrill protests to the contrary, NO consideration was given to the original material. None. Tons of stuff is thrown in, not because they pay attention to why they worked in the original storyline, but because, hey, its there, lets throw it in. Key case in point: the Sentinel. There is no goddamn need for a "Sentinel" that is a toy in the Danger Room. It could be a giant Jabba the Hut that attacked the X-men for all that it mattered. The reason the Sentinels are cool is because they are mutant hunting robots created by the govt. That is why they are cool. Not because they have robotic heads and walk around like robots. That does not make them sufficiently cool.

Same deal with the Juggernaut. Why is he in this movie? To ham it up? He's not related to Xavier (which is kind of his point as a villain), he doesnt wear cool armor, hes just Jaws pt 3. Sabretooth making campy one-liners.

Same deal with a bunch of other characters who are being thrown in only to be mangled by the story's requirements.

Same complaint, except X100 for the Phoenix storyline.

The litany about that one:
1) Cyclops is casually killed by his true love 25 minutes into the movie after 2 scenes in this movies "version" of the Dark Phoenix Saga. Audience attempts to give a damn, but fails on account of not really giving a damn about him previously from the past movies.

2) Wolverine apparently plays a decisive role in leading and inspiring the team, in a desperate attempt to surgically graft yet more Cyclops-like characteristics onto his insufficiently watered-down personality. It is rumored that Cyclops had to die in order for these personality traits to be harvested.

3) Given that the Phoenix Saga was pretty poor source material, it had to have the ass-kicking levels pumped up with heavy injections of KEWL. Such includes, but is not limited to, replacing stick-in-the-mud Cyclops's role with Radical X-treme Wolverine, replacing Jean's wimpy self-sacrifice with a Radical X-treme Wolverine Claw Move that Will Have You Bawling Like a Baby, and having the main character become a Zombie Mute instead of a Phoenix. Demographic research has shown the Phoenix concept to be totally lacking in Ass-Kickery Factor, as well as, um, costing loads of money. It is also apparently now a medium sized subplot in a 93 minute movie (since when is Phoenix a subplot to be thrown away like a DR Sentinel. Imagine if Apocalypse was a SUBPLOT.)

(*cries*)

CapBeerCino said:
Why is every thread that might be negative gets close with no explanations yet that stupid thread for "people with brains" stays open? Who's the mod?

Lightning Strikez, I believe.

CapBeerCino said:
Because Bill made it. And he's a respected poster. Bill I salute you. *sniffs*

xwolverine2 said:
wel it did get out of hand

I think it was only that one person (whose name already escapes me) who started throwing around the personal insults in there.

As I mentioned in the "I'm the Juggernaut!" clip thread, here's a deviation I find interesting - Kitty's powers when phasing other people through solid material are far less dangerous in the films. Because in the comics, having her phase Juggernaut into the floor and then let go halfway down, leaving him stuck in the floor, would cause his molecules to become fused with the molecules of the floor. His insides would be completely destroyed and he would be killed in seconds.

xwolverine2 said:
wel it did get out of hand

The protest against x-3 thread was also mysteriously locked and it was calm at that point.
Did you get my apology btw? :O

lordofthenerds said:

I hope that's sarcasm.

So how did the other thread "get out of hand?"

lordofthenerds said:

What is it you smell? (or do I want to know?)

CapBeerCino said:

I was pretty aghast when I saw that thread today. It's extremely insulting. One of the most insulting things I've seen on this board.

If I made a thread called "Safe Haven for Rational, Logical Individuals" that was for people who aren't feeling very good about the movie, I'm sure it would be locked in seconds... and that's far less insulting.

N_z0 said:
I hope that's sarcasm.

So how did the other thread "get out of hand?"
It is. God, did you really think I was being serious?

CapBeerCino said:
The protest against x-3 thread was also mysteriously locked and it was calm at that point.
Did you get my apology btw? :O
yes and i was 1sec from responding too...:(

i was gonna say "no problem...":up: :)

CapBeerCino said:
He usually explains himself and he wasn't around lately...
The dark clouds roll in and Lightning Strikez appears:)

Like X1 and X2 weren't abuses of the source material? Come on. Rogue: a scared, teenage, southern belle who's taken in by frikkin' Wolverine. Riiiiiiight. That's not a severe deviation from her comic counterpart at all. :rolleyes: Storm: a frightened, weak powered woman afraid of humans. Mmmhm. Yup, just like I remember her from the comics. Scott: Taking a backseat to Wolverine in plaid pants and lowered eyes. Yeah, right. Mystique not being recogniozed as Nightcrawlers mother. Mmmmkay. Angel: Not part of the original 5. WTF? Iceman a kid with a thing for Rogue? Sure, sure. A cheap cameo of Hank McCoy as opposed to including Beast as a member of the team. Yeah that fits. The shallowness of the Epic Wolverine/Sabertooth rivalry. Do I need to keep going? Because I have lots more.

Movies deviate from the source material. It happens ALL the time.

Bishop2 said:
I think it was only that one person (whose name already escapes me) who started throwing around the personal insults in there.

As I mentioned in the "I'm the Juggernaut!" clip thread, here's a deviation I find interesting - Kitty's powers when phasing other people through solid material are far less dangerous in the films. Because in the comics, having her phase Juggernaut into the floor and then let go halfway down, leaving him stuck in the floor, would cause his molecules to become fused with the molecules of the floor. His insides would be completely destroyed and he would be killed in seconds.
True...but how would they explain that in a non confusing manner to the general public? That Jugg's intestines are now laced with concrete.

lordofthenerds said:
It is. God, did you really think I was being serious?

well you never know with the internet. Sorry. I suspect cap was wondering that as well, about it being sarcastically said or not.

chaseter said:
The dark clouds roll in and Lightning Strikes appears:)

..."Were mortals dread to go" :p They should made him a writer I bet we'd be happier right now...

How about this: Who friggin cares?

This is nothing new. The last two movies did it, ever other single comic film has done it, you know to expect it with every other comic film that comes out, so why whine and complain about it now? Move on already.

N_z0 said:
well you never know with the internet. Sorry. I suspect cap was wondering that as well, about it being sarcastically said or not.

A little :O

CapBeerCino said:
..."Were mortals dread to go" :p They should made him a writer I bet we'd be happier right now...
A big YES:mad:

I expect X3 to be great, sniveling anal retentive fanboy whining not withstanding. That use of a Sentinel and Juggernaut critique could be the stupidest thing I've read here today and I've read some asinine posts recently. The Sentinel is simply a nod to the fans and nothing more. How can someone whine about not acknowledging Juggernaut as Xavier's step brother when every character from the start of X1 has deviated from the books in some way? Forget the fanboys, Dark Phoenix killing her boyfriend will register with the average movie goer big time and instantly establish a level of characterization needed in this type of massive canvas film.

If you hate the movie universe so much, stay home and read your trade paperbacks. Most of all, don't post here thinking your particular brand of sniveling makes your vision of the X-Men the proper one. Fact is, I probably outdate any X-Fan on these boards in terms of reading the "source material" and I applaud everything I've seen and that I've read concerning X3 to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"