Spawn Reboot | Blumhouse

I guess if they are planning to avoid actually showing Spawn in the movie then this casting could work, otherwise Foxx seems like he's to small to give Spawn the presence he needs to project. Of course they could go the smart route of using a body double, keeping the mask on and just have Foxx do a voice over.

Blumhouse's other movies have made great use of practical and CG effects. Maybe not as large a scale as Spawn's world, but if the story and direction is tight then some things can be forgiven IMO.

Maybe I'm just a bit giddy because I like hearing McFarlane talk about John Carpenter as inspiration.

I guess we'll see when things start rolling, which will apparently begin in August.

I guess if they are planning to avoid actually showing Spawn in the movie then this casting could work, otherwise Foxx seems like he's to small to give Spawn the presence he needs to project. Of course they could go the smart route of using a body double, keeping the mask on and just have Foxx do a voice over.

He could get mad big if he wants to.

Sounds like Foxx's Spawn won't be completely silent in the film.

“There are five or six moments where I’m going to need things from my actors, and a couple of them have to come from Jamie, and I’ve seen him deliver them onscreen,” McFarlane said. “He gets into a zone, with body language and a look that basically will say way more than anything i could type on a piece of paper, and this movie is going to need those moments. And in the odd moment where he has to deliver a line that’s short, curt and has impact, he can do it in a way that makes you go, ‘Whoa, I don’t want to mess with that guy. What a badass.'”

I can see Billy Kincaid being in this based on the rumored plotline.

Edit: I remember reading a rumor that Twitch was investigating the disappearance of his daughter, I can see Billy Kincaid fitting in with that storyline. But now that I think about it, maybe I'm getting this confused with the Sam & Twitch tv show that Kevin Smith was developing

Last edited:
I feel like just give us Clown/Violator, Overtkill, Jason Wynn and Malebolgia again and I'd be happy.
With $12 mil. budget? lmao. Even the 1997 film had $60 mil. in today's money. McFarlane is desperate to making something going during his lifetime.

I mean increase the budget to give us that. I'd think Foxx coming on board would up the cash flow a little.

Blumhouse's other movies have made great use of practical and CG effects. Maybe not as large a scale as Spawn's world, but if the story and direction is tight then some things can be forgiven IMO.

Maybe I'm just a bit giddy because I like hearing McFarlane talk about John Carpenter as inspiration.

I guess we'll see when things start rolling, which will apparently begin in August.

What more could you want to hear?! I can already see Spawn lurking around ala Michael Myers with Sam & Twitch as his Loomis. The Fog is also a film that has a mood that goes somewhat in hand with Spawn.

Anyway, so both Venom and Spawn have John Carpenter as inspiration. Hey, how can he not be?!

f94d9511e00a3347b203a214ce557ac1.jpg

Nuff said!

Anyway, so both Venom and Spawn have John Carpenter as inspiration. Hey, how can he not be?!

Hoping the marketing sells Spawn more in that manner. I'm sure McFarlane is still quite the relic.

Venom is supposed to have a Carpenter vibe? I didn't get that all from the teaser or trailer...

Venom is supposed to have a Carpenter vibe? I didn't get that all from the teaser or trailer...

Yeah, one of the producers(I believe) stated that basically the films of Carpenter and David Cronenberg would be inspirations. I thought the trailer felt a little more Cronenberg(especially the line of being "very afraid" as a nod to The Fly), but I did feel a little bit of a familiar vibe from Carpenter's Prince of Darkness in some scenes.

I did think of The Fly when I heard that line, I'll give it that.

Spawn isn't a strength-based character. He doesn't need to look like a brute to work. His abilities are magical, so he could still overpower larger foes due to this.

Count me as someone also worried about budget. Spawn will be the only fantastical thing in the movie it seems, which on paper doesn't sound terrible exciting.

However, I will keep an open mind and hope we get something good.

always wanted a sequel to the original which I didn't mind but it's about time we get new Spawn movie

All in on Foxx doing it he has great range when challenged

This is why I have virtually no interest in this. A movie about Spawn that does not actually feature very much Spawn (pretty much the Sam and Twitch show), on a budget that will not allow for Spawn to actually be anything more than a guy (Foxx I guess) in a rubber suit with no special effects or even decent practical effects.

Funny I'm the exact opposite. I'm excited to see how it pushes the comic book genre. So far there hasn't been a straight up comic book horror.

Why try and compete with Marvel and DC's spectacle? Do something outside of the box.

I'm perfectly happy with Spawn being treated as the Shark in Jaws, the monster in Jeepers Creepers etc.

A supernatural horror mystery might not be what fans expect, but that doesn't mean it can't still be entertaining and ground breaking.

I feel the Recall fan film captured the vibe that Todd described. Spawn creeping in the shadows. I'd watch a whole movie based on this.
[YT]f5tCbd4fgkw[/YT]

But he still would only be 5'9 which imo isn't tall enough for the role.

He did play an American football quarterback and everything worked out. They tend to run about 6'4". If he is set as the lead you just cast the other folks around him if physical height really is necessary for the role of a government black ops and a warrior using a supernatural skill set. Besides Tom Cruise was just fine as Jack Reacher

The one thing I'm absolutely NOT worried about is Foxx's height. I mean, seriously?

I'm much more worried about MacFarlane directing. I know this is his baby, but the man hasn't directed anything before. I worry that this could end up looking like some fan film trash. And with that budget, there's a very good chance of that.

That said, his comments about the film having a John Carpenter vibe intrigue me and if he's able to explore Spawn's origins across a trilogy of films, that could be really cool. And I think Foxx is perfect for the role. Guess we'll see how this all plays out.

Funny I'm the exact opposite. I'm excited to see how it pushes the comic book genre. So far there hasn't been a straight up comic book horror.

Why try and compete with Marvel and DC's spectacle? Do something outside of the box.
I don't think it needs a $200 million dollar budget. Not even $100 million. Something comparable to what they had before around $50 million should be more than enough without it looking and sounding like an ultra low budget B-movie which it already does. And it's called Spawn, not Sam & Twitch sort of featuring Spawn, which is really what it is. Who wants to see a movie about say, Superman that almost exclusively focuses on Perry White and Lois Lane but has almost nothing but blurry occasional photos of Superman? This is the equivalent of that.

I’m sorry but you guys don’t know what you’re talking about

We should be looking at films like Insidious and Sinister which were also both from Blumhouse. Those films had a 1.5 and 3 million dollar budget respectively. Spawn’s budget is tentatively set at 10-11 million. I think they’re going to do great things, and the lack of a big budget will only force more creativity

I don't know why some people are so against this thing. I get Spawn is mostly edgelord 90s heaven and that is a niche thing, still Spawn is a property that has its fans (I'd consider myself one). It's not a popular thing anymore, but done right this could be a hit and breathe new life into the character for larger audiences. I get why Todd wants to do it himself. Low budget horror from Blumhouse+a few big name actors+Spawn, it will probably equal $$$ quickly if it turns out good. Todd being a first time director the interesting variable, this movie wouldn't happen any other way, but as long as you have Jason Blum by his side it should be ok.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"