Spider-man 3.1 finally?!

The Editor's Cut is also available for purchase on its own digitally through Amazon Video, Vudu, and YouTube.

Oh cool. That's a great option for those that don't want to either double or possibly triple dip on each of the movies. And also for those that don't want to own the ASM films.

Here is my review of Spider-Man 3: Editor's Cut!

For many years, an alternate cut of Spider-Man 3 has been talked about, mostly by fans. Sony released an extended cut of Spider-Man 2, titled Spider-Man 2.1, and with all the deleted footage known to exist for Spider-Man 3, an extended Spider-Man 3.1 seemed to be something logical to do. Spider-Man 3 upon its release was divisive, and still is to this day. Just the mere mention of Spider-Man 3 amongst comic book fans instantly can start a conversation, and its bad reputation even brought about criticism of the previously praised and beloved Spider-Man and Spider-Man 2. Fans of the Raimi series have often wondered if that extra footage we know to exist could maybe make some sense out of certain shortcomings of the film, and maybe start changing the film's reputation. But with each passing year and the cancellation of Raimi's Spider-Man 4, it seemed like Spider-Man 3.1 was not going to materialize and we would all be left to wonder. But, the 10 year anniversary of the infamous film has made that dream a reality!

Well, sort of. We still do not have a Spider-Man 3.1 extended cut like we had all speculated, but an alternate cut is finally available online and in the new limited edition Blu Ray set of the Raimi Spider-Man films. The alternate cut, officially titled Spider-Man 3: Editor's Cut, was done by the film's original editor Bob Marawski. While a fair amount of deleted material from Spider-Man 3 is included in this new cut of the film, the new cut also cuts out several scenes from the original cut, restores Christoper Young's original score, and actually clocks in 2 minutes shorter than the theatrical cut. Interviews about the new cut show that Maraksi felt that the film played better shorter as opposed to longer, which is fair considering the film was already almost 2 hours and 20 minutes upon release.

All that backstory out of the way, let's focus on what is different about this cut. The film is mostly the same from opening and up until Peter attempts to kill Sandman. The only notable difference in that segment of the film is you can notice is Young's score in a few scenes, which can be noticed when Harry is shown at the play, with Peter and MJ in the park, and in a few other spots. Honestly, the restored music in these sections doesn't make a noticeable difference. The differences become far more stark after that. When MJ goes to meet Harry, a shot of Peter staring at the box housing his new costume just before the much maligned “Twist” dance in the kitchen, but while minor, that edit does highlight the distance that has come between Peter and MJ in the film and just where literally they're in two different mind sets in the relationship. Though small addition, I do like it.

One major difference is how the film plays out once MJ breaks up with Peter through the infamous montage. In the theatrical, Peter then talks to Harry at the diner, they fights, then he ruins Brock and then silly montage! In this one, It is flipped. Peter goes back to the apartment, stares at the black suit, then he ruins Brock. After ruining Brock, Peter talks to Harry, and we see an alternate talk between Peter and Harry prior to the fight. In the original version, Peter still believes MJ and Harry are an item, where as in this one Peter has figured out Harry was acting and probably put her up to it. Right after Peter attempts to kill Harry, the very next cut is silly montage and Peter strutting. This edit gave me whiplash. We go right from serious moment of Peter possibly killing his best friend to dancing in the street whackiness. It is a tone juggle that does not work. I like the added shot of Peter looking at the symbiote, as it adds to the Peter is a junkie angle, and the new footage of the wonderful black suit Spidey is nice, but the events play out slightly more logically in this particular section in the theatrical.

The next portion of the film also plays out quite different, also. The new version cuts out the Aunt May talk about forgiveness with Peter and replaces it with the scene where Penny is in the park, and Sandman comes to see her as a sand castle. This substitution makes a significant difference and I think for the better. Aunt May earlier in the film gave a speech about forgiveness, and though Peter was not at his low point like he is after the jazz club scene, it hits a lot of the same points she does in the speech later. I also favor this because films often have a tendency to over explain and force characters to say their feelings because they are not sure the audience will get it through the story and visuals. Peter's inward reflection on the monster he became and how he needs to forgive himself did not need Aunt May giving that speech to show us he is starting that inward reflection. Him cleansing himself in the shower just after getting rid of the symbiote symbolically sends the same message so much more simply than Aunt May explaining to us every little piece of the film's theme. Also, one of the biggest problems the theatrical cut had was Sandman after a few scenes just seemed to lack motivation. Why does he go from bad guy needing money to wanting to kill Spider-Man outside the fact Spider-Man attacked him? Why would this guy who has shown to be gentle willingly assault cops who had nothing to do with that sequence? This scene gives him much needed character motivation not just to show he loves his daughter, but it also explains this. At the end of this scene, he proclaims Spider-Man won't stop him again. This shows an element of desperation that was not as well conveyed, and it also explains that Sandman was actively looking for Spider-Man after thought, which makes when he finds Venom later seem way less forced. Granted, how Venom knew about his daughter is still not explained in either cut, but it makes that team-up scene between the two go from utter crap to making some sense. I love Aunt May and the forgiveness speech itself is good, but the sandcastle scene offered way more.

Probably the biggest improvement of the film however comes just before the climax, and that comes in the scene with Peter and Harry. Peter and Harry's conversation itself is the same, but after Peter leaves, we are no longer subjected to CSI: Butler! No longer do we need to here about how Bernard learned how to tell if a wound was self-inflicted from his days in BUTLER school! No longer is it revealed that anytime in those years when he saw Harry driving himself insane with the Spider-Man obsession that he could have done something to help his mental health, but instead allowed Harry to descend into madness! Instead, Harry looks down at the counter and see a nearby photograph of himself with Peter and MJ, a photograph fractured like their friendship. The symbolic imagery here is wonderful, it says a lot without saying a word, and it allows the inevitable decision Harry makes to help Peter be HIS choice! See, when your Butler tells you your dad was a murderous psychopath and Peter did nothing wrong, you no longer need to find it in your heart to forgive your friend. Harry coming to help because Peter did nothing wrong to Norman is not a message of FORGIVENESS. Now, Harry realizing Peter is his best friend and needs his help, even if he doesn't deserve it, shows Peter FORGIVES him, making that scene when he dies have so much more punch and much more genuine. Bernard basically ruined Harry's entire arc in the film, and the biggest thing this cut gets right is righting that wrong.

While clearly Spider-Man 3 has problems, I always felt the good elements of the film outweighed the bad. For me, it was never a bad movie. It was always just a good movie that was inferior to much better movies in the same franchise and had some fatal flaws. Does the Editor's Cut “fix” the movie? Certain elements of it, yes it does. While it fixes the fatal flaw of the crappy Butler, certain elements of the movie that divides the fans will always be present. Sandman will have always killed Uncle Ben, Topher Grace will always be Venom, etc. This cut also has elements not as strong as the theatrical one, such as that odd placement of the montage people already hated, but even with that being out of left field and weird, the additions made to Sandman and Harry make it a superior film overall and I think it is worth checking out. It is probably not the Spider-Man 3.1 people wanted, but I am glad this version exists.

Last edited:
Wait I've also heard about a deleted scene in which Harry gets up after Peter throws a bomb at him and then he sees his reflection in something and he screams which startles Peter. Is that true?

Wait I've also heard about a deleted scene in which Harry gets up after Peter throws a bomb at him and then he sees his reflection in something and he screams which startles Peter. Is that true?

It's possible that scene was made, but it isn't included in the Editor's Cut.

It doesn't sound like much in the way of deleted footage was restored in the editor's cut.

Someday I hope Raimi will come back and supervise a new edit. I know he can't film new scenes and such, but hopefully release a version he's happier with.

It doesn't sound like much in the way of deleted footage was restored in the editor's cut.

Someday I hope Raimi will come back and supervise a new edit. I know he can't film new scenes and such, but hopefully release a version he's happier with.

I really enjoyed the Editor's Cut to be fair. The small changes made some dramatic differences.

-Re-ordering the symbiote suit sequences only added a few seconds of extra footage but it felt so much more sinister. Really effective.

-The conversation Emo Peter and Harry have before fighting has been switched out for another take. This one is much better. In the theatrical cut, Peter is dead serious. He's a total *****e in this scene, more fun and more interesting. They feel more like real friends that have turned on each other.

-I liked the Sandcastle sequence. Brief but necessary character moment to bring Flint back into the story. Think it was missing some fx work though, which was jarring.

-Cutting the butler was great. Bernard never bothered me as much as it did most, but the replacement sequence gets to the point much faster and doesn't need any expositional dialogue so it's an instant win.

-I didn't notice the score change all that much. It was still good, though I had no complaints about the theatrical score.

-The new edit is not without flaws. There are a few rough transitions. The Sandcastle sequence plays immediately after another Marko scene that now sticks out and is basically pointless. It was a shame to see the last Aunt May scene removed, and removing only 1 line of Dafoe's Goblin is 1 line too many.

I too would have liked to see this "upgraded" to a proper 3.1 cut with some more deleted scenes and some extended action beats, but I definitely recommend checking this out.

Thank you for your review, Spider-Fan. :up:

I want the Blu-Ray set, still. Because I am a collector. I still own my VHS copies of Spider-Man 1 & 2, along with all of the DVD releases and Blu-Ray releases of the entire trilogy. The alternate Spider-Man 3 cut makes the set worth getting, from a collecting perspective. :)

The sandcastle scene is worth purchasing this. What a spectacular, emotional scene. Why in the hell didn't they leave that in?? It goes to show that if they let Raini alone we would have had a movie up to par with that scene. That's Spider-Man 2 level stuff.

Raimi just excelled in tapping into the heart of these characters in creative ways.

Nice to see part of the sandcastle scene. Now show us the rest Sony.
0brefh1.png

We still really need the doctor scenes.
O2vd4nX.gif

HjY3VCc.png

Guys, there are tons of discs and I'm confused. Hope someone can help.
I just want to get all the spdier-man movies with ALL special featurettes, behind the scenes, all the bonus things. What's the best option? I guess blu-rays don't have all the bonus and behind the scenes stuff. Could someone tell me which collection or dvd or whatever to buy to have EVERYTHING released so far on discs?
Thanks guys

Guys, there are tons of discs and I'm confused. Hope someone can help.
I just want to get all the spdier-man movies with ALL special featurettes, behind the scenes, all the bonus things. What's the best option? I guess blu-rays don't have all the bonus and behind the scenes stuff. Could someone tell me which collection or dvd or whatever to buy to have EVERYTHING released so far on discs?
Thanks guys

I'm happy to try and help. Because you posted in this thread I'm unsure if you mean just the original trilogy or ALL the Spider-Man movies. As far as I know there is not a set that includes Homecoming yet.

If you're looking for the original trilogy, then this what you want.

The Limited Edition Trilogy collection released in June.
81iLhb23X%2BL._SX342_.jpg

It is the best and most definitive release of the Raimi films. It includes everything you want, all the special features/commentaries that were released for the original DVD's + alternate cuts of Spider-Man 2 and 3 (2.1 and Spider-Man 3: The Editor's Cut)

If you wanted the TASM movies too then I'd suggest The Legacy Set.

5872006_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

I'm happy to try and help. Because you posted in this thread I'm unsure if you mean just the original trilogy or ALL the Spider-Man movies. As far as I know there is not a set that includes Homecoming yet.

If you're looking for the original trilogy, then this what you want.

The Limited Edition Trilogy collection released in June.
81iLhb23X%2BL._SX342_.jpg

It is the best and most definitive release of the Raimi films. It includes everything you want, all the special features/commentaries that were released for the original DVD's + alternate cuts of Spider-Man 2 and 3 (2.1 and Spider-Man 3: The Editor's Cut)

If you wanted the TASM movies too then I'd suggest The Legacy Set.

5872006_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

Thank you so much. Yes only the raimi series, i heard about the origins collection but does it include everything that dvds have? For example spiderman 2002 dvd special edition includes tv spots, castings etc. Spiderman 2 dvd special edition includes 13 episodes of documentary. Spiderman 3 special edition includes sandman’s making of videos etc...

Should i buy the origins collection to have all these features? Or seperately dvds...
Thanks alot for the help man!!!

Thank you for your review, Spider-Fan. :up:

I want the Blu-Ray set, still. Because I am a collector. I still own my VHS copies of Spider-Man 1 & 2, along with all of the DVD releases and Blu-Ray releases of the entire trilogy. The alternate Spider-Man 3 cut makes the set worth getting, from a collecting perspective. :)

I bought the Legacy set, and because I am a collector, I got the one they did for TASM series also. This is before I knew the other set was a thing, LOL! I ave yet to watch the Webb films, LOL! It sits on my shelf untouched :oldrazz:

I have rewatched the Raimi ones though. Though Spidey has graduated to the MCU, these are still some of my favorite CBMs :up:

Thank you so much. Yes only the raimi series, i heard about the origins collection but does it include everything that dvds have? For example spiderman 2002 dvd special edition includes tv spots, castings etc. Spiderman 2 dvd special edition includes 13 episodes of documentary. Spiderman 3 special edition includes sandman’s making of videos etc...

Should i buy the origins collection to have all these features? Or seperately dvds...
Thanks alot for the help man!!!

I went and checked the blu-rays for you to make sure. The only thing I couldn't find were TV Spots for Spider-Man 1, I also looked at the original DVD and couldn't see TV Spots on there even though the case says there is, I may just be a blind idiot.

But other than that, yes, everything you're asking for is in there. I would still say absolutely get the Origins collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"