Far From Home Spider-Man: Far From Home Spoilers Discussion (Spoilers for Endgame as well)

Well to be fair Superman has been up against Luthor over and over in movies, TVs etc and it’s doing fine... hold on ... I think I realized why I lost interest in that property..

Of course, Lex has the advantage that he's a much better villain than Norman Osborne. ;)

We thought the same about, the last scene of Homecoming, where May finds out...and how much of a plot point was that in FFH?

I would argue this has a much larger story impact that can't really be ignored

Why does JJJ have to be a caricature? Making him like Alex Jones is still making him a caricature. Why does he have to be so extreme? Why couldn't JJJ be a legitimate journalist instead of a purveyor of fake news and conspiracies?

It almost sounds like when Dr Doom was going to be turned into an anti social blogger named Domashev for Fant4stic whose handle was "Doom".

Because if he were a legitimate journalist, he wouldn't work as a grudge-holding antagonist for Spider-man?

He's an Avenger but also a wanted criminal at this point.

Says who? A video sent to a sketchy media operation is not an arrest warrant, doubly so when the actual authorities on the ground should damn well know that something is amiss. This isn't even a case where the cops might jump the gun, seeing as even the alleged crime happened in a completely different country.

I think some of it is the fanbase overestimating how thematically important the Goblins actually are. I mean, think about it: for being such an allegedly irreplaceable archnemesis, Norman Osborne spent several decades just plain flat out dead. Until his modern revival ( which has largely been execrable ), Norman Osborne's primary continuing importance was "motivational factor for Harry's life and periodic villainy". Even Gwen Stacy's death, was influential in that Gwen Stacy died, not in who did the killing. You otherwise had villains like the Hobgoblin, who stole some of the image and gadgets but otherwise had their own completely different story and themes, that might as well not even be connected to Norman Osborne.

Which is my meandering way of saying that they could simply never introduce the Osborne's at *all*, and Spider-man would be just fine. He's got plenty of villains with at least as many *good* story arcs to adapt, and with at least as good or better thematic resonance.

I've been wondering what would happen if you combined exercise and scrabble into a new board game: Execrable. It might turn out to be rather unpleasant. :o

It may be a hard heel turn, but don't pretend it has no support in the comics. JJJ has spent fairly extended periods as being a flat out villain. Not just one without any particular dedication to journalistic ethics, but one who outright funds and conspires with supervillains. It is not necessarily a huge portion of his existence, but it is one that did exist and leaves a mark on his history as a character. What's more, its a style that fits better with the tabloid style of the Bugle's traditional portrayal than some attempt to keep the Bugle and JJJ as "serious" journalists. Who, btw, if they were? Would not be hiring a high school kid.

Some of this is the unavoidable changing nature of media in the modern world vs 50 years ago. Some of this is a plot hole that has existed for almost as long: Peter Parker the desperately poor photojournalist, despite having a skillset that would let him make more money at almost any other job imaginable.
I'm fully aware they've made JJJ a full on villain in the comics at times, and they've turned him into a Fox News pundit there, too. And it's pretty darn awful, in my opinion. I just wanted to get to finally see the JJJ who sacrifices his career to maintain his integrity after getting blackmailed, and who risks his life to investigate criminals like the Kingpin.

So those arguing that Mysterio being a fake somehow meant there was no multiverse (even as the Ancient One said there was all the way back in 2016). Well Feige confirmed it exist again. So, prepare for Spider-Gwen and Mary Jane Watson. :cwink:

So those arguing that Mysterio being a fake somehow meant there was no multiverse (even as the Ancient One said there was all the way back in 2016). Well Feige confirmed it exist again. So, prepare for Spider-Gwen and Mary Jane Watson. :cwink:

I highly doubt we’re going to get an MCU Mary Jane Watson other than the pseudo version that is Michelle Jones.

Maybe someday, but I don't think that is where the third one is going.

I would argue this has a much larger story impact that can't really be ignored

True, but there could easily be a scenario where they cast this relatively off to the side. A montage where Peter and Happy are constantly coming up with ways to put Peter and different ‘Spider-Men’ in the same situations... JJJ, like Alex Jones, is dismissed by legitimate journalists so his claims are easily debunked....Betty Brant wants to be a reporter so she’s documenting Peter’s life because she’s still convinced he’s Spider-Man/Night Monkey...Flash vehemently denies Peter is SM because it’s shattering his perception of the hero, and rocks his world (we saw hints of a lonely home life in FFH)

But now this makes Peter even more hyper alert to his secret identity. Kraven’s got a keen nose though and can cut through Peter’s bull****

So, we sort of get an outed Spider-Man while still keeping the proverbial genie in the bottle.

I highly doubt we’re going to get an MCU Mary Jane Watson other than the pseudo version that is Michelle Jones.
Her being Michelle is exactly why I think we will get Mary Jane Watson at some point.

Maybe someday, but I don't think that is where the third one is going.
I don't think that either. But I also think this Spider-Man still has a good decade in him at the very least. Probably a lot more.

I guess one way it could be considered a game changer is that his family and friends aren’t going to be safe any more.

But, again, the solution is easy. Skrull pretends to be Peter, contradicts Mysterio’s video. Peter’s identity is still secret.

My issue is that they’ve attempted to set up this huge, game-changing alteration to Spider-man’s status in the MCU... while at the same time setting up the obvious and easy solution to the problem in the same movie, mere minutes later!

It was literally:

‘Here’s a big problem for Spider-man going forward!’

‘...oh no... hang about. Here’s how we will solve it.’

True, but there could easily be a scenario where they cast this relatively off to the side. A montage where Peter and Happy are constantly coming up with ways to put Peter and different ‘Spider-Men’ in the same situations... JJJ, like Alex Jones, is dismissed by legitimate journalists so his claims are easily debunked....Betty Brant wants to be a reporter so she’s documenting Peter’s life because she’s still convinced he’s Spider-Man/Night Monkey...Flash vehemently denies Peter is SM because it’s shattering his perception of the hero, and rocks his world (we saw hints of a lonely home life in FFH)

But now this makes Peter even more hyper alert to his secret identity. Kraven’s got a keen nose though and can cut through Peter’s bull****

So, we sort of get an outed Spider-Man while still keeping the proverbial genie in the bottle.

But this would be making the reveal still important to the plot. So I would be okay with all of that. So long as it isn't ignored and written off by like a line of dialogue or something.

But, again, the solution is easy. Skrull pretends to be Peter, contradicts Mysterio’s video. Peter’s identity is still secret.

My issue is that they’ve attempted to set up this huge, game-changing alteration to Spider-man’s status in the MCU... while at the same time setting up the obvious and easy solution to the problem in the same movie, mere minutes later!

It was literally:

I feel that the Skrull reveal at the end of the credits was definitely a hint as to how they were going to resolve all of this. It seems a bit too coincidental that we also get Skrulls in the same movie of all movies they could've featured in. It almost seems like they're saying "don't worry, we've got this covered. This is how we're going to get Peter out of this one."

If there were no Skrulls shown, then people would have to speculate more, maybe even suggesting that Skrulls could be used. But now it seems this would be the easiest solution that is right there.

I feel that the Skrull reveal at the end of the credits was definitely a hint as to how they were going to resolve all of this. It seems a bit too coincidental that we also get Skrulls in the same movie of all movies they could've featured in. It almost seems like they're saying "don't worry, we've got this covered. This is how we're going to get Peter out of this one."

If there were no Skrulls shown, then people would have to speculate more, maybe even suggesting that Skrulls could be used. But now it seems this would be the easiest solution that is right there.

I'm not convinced Skrulls will be involved in the fix of this. The post-credits of the movie were meant to tease phase 4, and I think the tag at the end was more of a build toward SWORD possibly being a thing as opposed to Skrulls helping Peter.

It was literally:

That's how I felt...and I'm okay with it.

I bet money that Skrulls isn't how the 'outing' is resolved.
MCU typically don't go for the simple solution. Remember when everyone thought Infinity War would be resolved with the Time Stone? Well, that's not what happens.

I bet money that Skrulls isn't how the 'outing' is resolved.
MCU typically don't go for the simple solution. Remember when everyone thought Infinity War would be resolved with the Time Stone? Well, that's not what happens.

But also remember when we all thought May knowing Peter was Spider-man would be a major plot point going forward?

I don’t think the outing of his identity is going to be the big issue a lot of people think it will be... especially with Skrulls around.

Probably asked but where were the Avengers or other heroes? It was excusable how people didnt show up in Homecoming bc it was a smaller more self contained story but this one had larger scale global incidents. They mentioned a few heroes like Captain Marvel, Thor and Dr. Strange and the quick excuses made sense but Falcon, Scarlet Witch, War Machine, etc...? There were so many heroes in Endgame yet no one got involved here

^ That issue exists in a lot of solo MCU movies.
I dont know. Most of the recent films have been team ups so other heroes have shown up to help. This is the first, I really felt it was glaring especially bc the threats ranged from Mexico to Europe and it happened over the course of a week.

Why did Steve and Natasha never think to call Tony or Hawkeye in The Winter Soldier? Where were the other Avengers when Tony’s house got blown up and he was presumed dead in Iron Man 3?

Why did Steve and Natasha never think to call Tony or Hawkeye in The Winter Soldier? Where were the other Avengers when Tony’s house got blown up and he was presumed dead in Iron Man 3?
Natasha was the other Avenger that helped Cap in that solo film. Tony had War Machine help him in IM3. Peter is literally a 16 year old kid on a high school class trip. Its more glaring here that no one else showed up

We're way too far down the rabbit hole to question why other heroes don't turn up. We know the reason, contracts, schedules, money, narrative, and a whole host of other reasons.
It's not even worth addressing the issue with in-movie explanations.

Last edited:
But also remember when we all thought May knowing Peter was Spider-man would be a major plot point going forward?

I don’t think the outing of his identity is going to be the big issue a lot of people think it will be... especially with Skrulls around.

I don't think Skrulls are going to factor into resetting Peter's identity back to a secret. In fact, I am willing to bet heavily they won't be at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"