Comics Spider-Man Solicitations for Nov. 06

Dragon said:
But Peter did tell her the truth, in PPSSM #74. She just didn't believe him when he did. And his not telling her about beng Spider-Man would have hardly ruined her life. The damage was done to Deb long before she met Peter.

Aloha,
For those who are not familiar with the issue. Here it is. Have a great reading experience.
Spidey rules

Right click and save target as=remove .htm from the name
http://www.donaldspidermanthomas.com/html/cbr/5_peterparkerspectacularsp/page3_ppsm_74.cbz

MyPokerShirt said:
I can buy into the idea that some fairly insignificant woman with a history of mental problems wanting to cash in on pete's new fame, can't you?

No, I can't. Because Deb is not a shallow, greedy woman. Her mental problems didn't cause her to do stupid and crazy things. Some of you are speaking as though she was some kind of nut case.

She was just worried sick about Peter being Spider-Man because she really cared about him.

At the very least can't you see an angry, controversial tell-all story would sell better than "i thought pete was spidey. i thought i was wrong. we stayed friends." not exactly gonna sell, is it?

She shouldn't be writing this book in the first place. Its not the Deb Whitman character I've read.

i like the idea. it shows they've thought about the unmasking from all angles. Dont think it'll be the most interesting story for me- i wanna see more mainstream character's reactions, but i'll give them brownie points for the idea at least. its even paying attention to continuity, dredging up an old character.

Well I don't like it. I don't like how Marvel are making all these former friends angry at Peter when they really have no reason to be. Least of all Deb. Peter made the ultimate sacrifice for her by revealing his identity to her. He put it all on the line for her.

A Deb Whitman who is writing some tell all book for the guy who did that for her is not the Deb Whitman we all knew. Only a greedy, shallow and spiteful person would do that.

As I said, if there's one girl who should write a tell all book about the guy who's life as Spider-Man put her thru the ringer, its Betty Brant.

Here, read the comic Donald posted there: http://www.donaldspidermanthomas.com/html/cbr/5_peterparkerspectacularsp/page3_ppsm_74.cbz

And you tell me does that girl seem the type, or have any reason to write a tell all book about Spider-Man.

Doc Ock said:
No, I can't. Because Deb is not a shallow, greedy woman. Her mental problems didn't cause her to do stupid and crazy things. Some of you are speaking as though she was some kind of nut case.

She was just worried sick about Peter being Spider-Man because she really cared about him.

She shouldn't be writing this book in the first place. Its not the Deb Whitman character I've read.

Well I don't like it. I don't like how Marvel are making all these former friends angry at Peter when they really have no reason to be. Least of all Deb. Peter made the ultimate sacrifice for her by revealing his identity to her. He put it all on the line for her.

A Deb Whitman who is writing some tell all book for the guy who did that for her is not the Deb Whitman we all knew. Only a greedy, shallow and spiteful person would do that.

As I said, if there's one girl who should write a tell all book about the guy who's life as Spider-Man put her thru the ringer, its Betty Brant.

Here, read the comic Donald posted there: http://www.donaldspidermanthomas.com/html/cbr/5_peterparkerspectacularsp/page3_ppsm_74.cbz

And you tell me does that girl seem the type, or have any reason to write a tell all book about Spider-Man.

Truth be told, we haven't seen the character since 1981, and that equates to 5 or 6 years in Marvel time, so while the Deb Whitman we read about 25 years ago behaved a certain way, we don't know what she's been through.

And I still find it very believable that she'd be angry at Peter... because despite the fact that he revealed himself to her, it was with the intent to convince her she was crazy to think such a thing... thus saving his identity.

But that's just me... :huh: :huh: :huh:

And hopefully, we get to see a Betty Brant reaction, because I'd love to see it.

:)

If she was delusional i don't care what personality they put on her in the seventies -thats an unstable character right there. and speaking from the point of view of a brit - yknow the country that is king of trashy tabloids and trashy tabloid reveal all stories - i think if enough money was offered there's many a person that would sell their story. I really think we should wait to see how they portray it before we judge any more though. It might suck. It might rule. I just. don't. know. What issues are they exploring all this in btw?

Themanofbat said:
Truth be told, we haven't seen the character since 1981, and that equates to 5 or 6 years in Marvel time, so while the Deb Whitman we read about 25 years ago behaved a certain way, we don't know what she's been through.

Actually it was 1983 ;)

And I can't imagine what circumstances would cause her to suddenly hate Peter that much to humiliate him with a tell all book. He hasn't seen her in years. Not been involved in her life at all.

And I still find it very believable that she'd be angry at Peter... because despite the fact that he revealed himself to her, it was with the intent to convince her she was crazy to think such a thing... thus saving his identity.

Read the story again dude.

Peter did it to convince her that she wasn't crazy. He went to show her that what she was thinking was 100% right. He was gutted after hearing the story about her abusive husband. So he went to do the right thing by her. When he unmasked himself, Deb reacted to it by seeing it as so absurd, that she herself made herself believe she had been imagining it.

Peter just went along with it because she was finally cured.

Doc Ock said:
Actually it was 1983 ;)

And I can't imagine what circumstances would cause her to suddenly hate Peter that much to humiliate him with a tell all book. He hasn't seen her in years. Not been involved in her life at all.

Read the story again dude.

Peter did it to convince her that she wasn't crazy. He went to show her that what she was thinking was 100% right. He was gutted after hearing the story about her abusive husband. So he went to do the right thing by her. When he unmasked himself, Deb reacted to it by seeing it as so absurd, that she herself made herself believe she had been imagining it.

Peter just went along with it because she was finally cured.

I'm going from memory here, so please forgive me.... :csad:

I just feel that Deb would be pissed when she learned Pete was INDEED Spider-Man despite the fact that she convinced herself that it was absurd.

Again... that's just me...

:csad: :csad: :csad:

page 17 bottom corner of SSM74 debs playing with a stuffed doll of Morph from Exiles :o

Themanofbat said:
I'm going from memory here, so please forgive me.... :csad:

Don't worry about it old timer :p ;)

I just feel that Deb would be pissed when she learned Pete was INDEED Spider-Man despite the fact that she convinced herself that it was absurd.

Again... that's just me...

:csad: :csad: :csad:

But that would be Deb's fault wouldn't it?? She made herself believe it was all BS, that Peter being Spider-Man is ludicrous, saying that she was at last cured of her delusions after seeing Peter in the Spider-Man costume. What kind of a friend would Peter be to take that away from her when she had at last found peace of mind??

Deb is not an irrational or hateful person. She's a sweet, kind, good hearted girl. Everyone liked her. What could a person like that possibly say to themselves to make them think that humiliating one of the best friends she ever had is a good idea??

Shouldn't she be thinking "Wow, he really revealed his identity back then. All for me. What a guy. He laid his most precious secret on the line to help me".

MyPokerShirt said:
If she was delusional i don't care what personality they put on her in the seventies -thats an unstable character right there. and speaking from the point of view of a brit - yknow the country that is king of trashy tabloids and trashy tabloid reveal all stories - i think if enough money was offered there's many a person that would sell their story. I really think we should wait to see how they portray it before we judge any more though. It might suck. It might rule. I just. don't. know. What issues are they exploring all this in btw?

Aloha,
I think you hit on a very important point. In this day and time of tabloid trash-you can get a guys mother to say crap about him in a book if the money is right. Please check out PPSM #74. If Debbie was unstable back then, it is very possible that she has had at least one mental relapse since then. Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #5 has a story of a delusional woman who thinks Spidey has been stalking her.Debbie was the original delusional woman in Peter's life. That Peter went on to marry a supermodel would only make her hatred of Peter that much greater.
Spidey rules
Don't forget you must RIGHT click the link to PPSM #74

Ultimately, spidey's reveal crashed the freakin internet. If you'd shagged him can you imagine how much money you'd get payed. Cash while the stories hot, gotta feed the monkey...

Doc Ock said:

But that would be Deb's fault wouldn't it?? She made herself believe it was all BS, that Peter being Spider-Man is ludicrous, saying that she was at last cured of her delusions after seeing Peter in the Spider-Man costume. What kind of a friend would Peter be to take that away from her when she had at last found peace of mind??

Deb is not an irrational or hateful person. She's a sweet, kind, good hearted girl. Everyone liked her. What could a person like that possibly say to themselves to make them think that humiliating one of the best friends she ever had is a good idea??

Shouldn't she be thinking "Wow, he really revealed his identity back then. All for me. What a guy. He laid his most precious secret on the line to help me".

You know, it could be one of those things where Deb didn't actually write the book but dictated it to someone who ghost-wrote it for her and, to make sure it's a success, the publishing company edited it in such a way to make Spidey come across looking like a total jerk without Deb's approval. But then again, perhaps she's angry with herself that even though Peter confirmed what she already thought, she fooled herself into thinking it wasn't true and decided she'd been wronged in that way.

hippy fascit said:
SSSSSSSHHHHHH! I would actually like to get to read ONE spider-man 616 story in the next two months. I don't care about spoilers to civil war. I need my spidey fix

I understand completely.

On the plus side if they are within the timeline of civil war at least we can be certain that spidey will quit being iron man's ***** by CW #5 at the very latest! :)

We can only hope. At least then I'll be able to start calling Spider-Tool Spider-Man again.

Donald Thomas said:
Don't forget you must RIGHT click the link to PPSM #74
My days of being confused by CDisplay are over.mwaha! ahem, thanx for the link, dude. good issue. i especially like how it was a time where his humour was just right. annoying to the bad guys but not to the audience, unlike some more modern interpretations of his humour

SENSATIONAL SPIDER-MAN #32
Written by ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA
Penciled by SEAN CHEN
Cover by CLAYTON CRAIN
SPIDER-MAN UNMASKED Tie-In!
STAND-ALONE ISSUE!!
THE HUSBAND OR THE SPIDER?
Through thick and thin, for better or for worse, Mary Jane Watson-Parker has always stood by her man’s side, supporting him in all his decisions. But as Peter’s latest choices have cost him and his family plenty—perhaps too much—has MJ finally reached the breaking point? The first of three one-shots focusing on the women in Peter Parker’s life post-unmasking!
32 PGS./Rated A ...$2.99

I hope to god, their just going to show us how commeted Mj is to Peter forever no matter what. And not have them separate again . :mad: :(

tom123 said:
Feel free to correct me on any of the covers if they're wrong... which some probably will be :o:
USM #102
ULTSM102_400_col.jpg
Whats with their huge boners?

Kal-El 8 said:
I hope to god, their just going to show us how commeted Mj is to Peter forever no matter what. And not have them separate again . :mad: :(

The thing is... MJ will probably come into harm's way during this Civil War, and once the "magical" mind swipe comes into play, thus making EVERYONE forget who Spider-Man is, including MJ, Peter will make the supreme sacrifice and stay away from her; thereby proving how much he loves her, yet keeping them apart.

It's a win-win for Quesada & Co....

They don't kill her, and they really don't get forcibly divorsed.

The Spectre of Spider-Man will make his mark again.

:csad:

Wait they're actually doing another story that some how acknowledges The Other. Does PAD have an ego the size of the moon or is he just plain stupid? Nobody wants to hear, see, or speak of that bull again, so why would you write a what if story?

I got a better one for ya PAD, how about What If The Other never happened!

You'll hate what Joey Q and JMS have planned for spidey post civil war then. The rumour I heard is it's a big project tied in with ezekiel.

If this doesn't happen I'm gonna look like such a tool! :o

Why? Ezekiel is dead. He was a great character who served his purpose for 3 years in the comics and left with grace and style. He is possibly the last memorable contribution JMS has made to SM that was good that hasn't been shatted on yet (he is no longer a teacher, Aunt May is no longer bitter about him being Spider-Man, Morlun came back from the dead and was ruined and if MJ really dies that screws up JMS bringing her back then).

We'll see though.

Themanofbat said:
The thing is... MJ will probably come into harm's way during this Civil War, and once the "magical" mind swipe comes into play, thus making EVERYONE forget who Spider-Man is, including MJ, Peter will make the supreme sacrifice and stay away from her; thereby proving how much he loves her, yet keeping them apart.

It's a win-win for Quesada & Co....

They don't kill her, and they really don't get forcibly divorsed.

The Spectre of Spider-Man will make his mark again.

thatd never work! theyd be erasing YEARS of MJs memories. nearly everything she's done has involved pete in recent years. i just can't see them doing that. if they can mindwipe everybody but pete's mind then why cant that be Pete and MJ's?

MyPokerShirt said:
thatd never work! theyd be erasing YEARS of MJs memories. nearly everything she's done has involved pete in recent years. i just can't see them doing that. if they can mindwipe everybody but pete's mind then why cant that be Pete and MJ's?

They'll probably have Peter forget he's Spider-Man as well... :whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

... until Batman shows up and figures who he is and tells him. :woot: :woot: :woot:

Mary Jane owes it to stay with Peter after what she did to him. What's this crap about the breaking point? Wasn't she the one that encouraged him to unmask himself and gave him approval?

Doc Ock said:

Agree 100% Doc. Sure, you can throw in all of the reasons someone would betray another person for money, fame, whatever. But again- established characterization says Deb would have no reason to write such a thing, and no material to contribute to such a book. Again, Betty is thre best candidate if such a route must be taken.

Moreover, this is Peter David repeating himself, because he covered similar material in FNSM #5 with another woman telling her pointless story of how Spidey ruined her life.

Does this really surprise anyone that they would pervert a classic character like that?

Maybe people should stop complaining about what Sam Raimi does to characters in the movies and focus that energy on the people ****ing with the actual comics.

Well I never really liked Deb so I might be a bit biased, but she always seemed unhinged and way too "needy." And she for a time was going crazy because Pete convinced her he was not Spidey but then he hleped her but that part could be left out of her book. She went away, perhaps her life went down the tube afterwards and she thought because she imagined Pete was Spider-Man she may imagine other things and while she became increasingly pranoid Peter is living in a luxurious apartment with a supermodel wife....so....

And also take into account that money is a major factor. Deb hasn't seen Peter for what....the equivalent of 8 years or something in the comics? She doesn't know what he's up to. She doesn't seem to have a very close connection to Pete post-relatiionship. Betty and Peter stayed good friends well after the relationship, he was there for her when she lost her husband and was there to help her track down the Hobgoblin. Betty has journalistic integrity (something Deb doesn't) so she wouldn't write a trashy tabloid book an dher connection with Peter is much deeper and personal. She probably doesn't want to drag BOTH their names through the mud.

Deb may have had a bad life after leaving New York, partly to blame on thinking Pete was Spider-Man and thinking she had a mental relapse and hasn't seen Peter for nearly a decade as he is living the good life now. She has no real connection with Pete so it would be easy to tranish his name with a "selective" memory. And the fact that she didn't have that close of relationship with Parker makes it all the more likely for her to write a trashy tabloid book then.

TheVileOne said:
Does this really surprise anyone that they would pervert a classic character like that?

Maybe people should stop complaining about what Sam Raimi does to characters in the movies and focus that energy on the people ****ing with the actual comics.

I wouldn't call Debra Whitman a "classic" character...

:whatever: :whatever: :whatever:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"