Homecoming Spider-Man Homecoming (2017) General Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 89

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least now I can separate the people that are being fairly concerned over things from the people who are just stirring the pot to stir it/ wanting it to bomb without even seeing a second of footage. The people who are assuming things that we aren't even sure of yet will be the people I laugh at after I leave the theatre...

In no way shape or form am I stirring the pot to stir it, and I absolutely do not want it to bomb. It would truly pain me to see another Spider-Man movie be poorly received. However I suspect that no matter what Spider-Man film we get and no matter how numerable or extreme the deviations are from the source material it will not only be a success but it will also be defended by many despite the same fanbase determining that smaller deviations that were present in the previous Sony Spider-Man films were horrible and warranted the outcry of "give the rights back to Marvel".

It would truly pain me to see another Spider-Man movie be poorly received. However I suspect that no matter what Spider-Man film we get and no matter how numerable or extreme the deviations are from the source material it will not only be a success but it will also be defended by many despite the same fanbase determining that smaller deviations that were present in the previous Sony Spider-Man films were horrible and warranted the outcry of "give the rights back to Marvel".

karras+vv.gif

In no way shape or form am I stirring the pot to stir it, and I absolutely do not want it to bomb. It would truly pain me to see another Spider-Man movie be poorly received. However I suspect that no matter what Spider-Man film we get and no matter how numerable or extreme the deviations are from the source material it will not only be a success but it will also be defended by many despite the same fanbase determining that smaller deviations that were present in the previous Sony Spider-Man films were horrible and warranted the outcry of "give the rights back to Marvel".
Sha-Labauff-Clapping.gif

I have been here for a decade and have seen the pre-release hype for the past three Spider-man movies. Most people railed against Sony after the movie came out and we saw the finished product, and saw that said product was subpar in numerous areas, not before we have seen a single second of footage. This has been pointed out to you all numerous times.

That being said, remind us how much you loved Batman v Superman despite the numerous deviations from the source material? I'm curious to hear how you reconcile this. I ask this question not to start a pissing contest over BvS' quality, but to understand your seemingly skewed view on adherence to the source material. You can accept a Batman that kills, but not a Spider-man that looks up to Tony Stark?

Last edited:
Wow, bringing in his views on another, completely unrelated CBM to deflect this one. Classy. :oldrazz:

Wow, bringing in his views on another, completely unrelated CBM to deflect this one. Classy.

"I love movie A even though it has numerous changes from the source material!
Wait, I'm upset over potential, unconfirmed changes from the source material in movie B!"

Yeah, I'm gonna question that.

This has been pointed out to you all numerous times yet still you flood this section with this nonsense every single day.

Would it calm your nerves if we all enjoyed the news of Spider-Man: Homecoming every single day on this forum instead? That of course being not one person having issue with any/all sorts of news we receive from this film going forward.

Seriously, it works both ways.

Would it calm your nerves if we all enjoyed the news of Spider-Man: Homecoming every single day on this forum instead? I'd imagine that'd get tiring after a while, too. That of course being not one person having issue with any/all sorts of news we receive from this film going forward.

What I'm annoyed with is the same repetitive conversations coming from the exact same users, and it's compounded by the fact that it's the same whining over a series of minor and/or unconfirmed deviations from the source material. We haven't even seen one second of footage, yet we find ourselves mulling over the same nonsense every day.

And you know what? As much as I don't enjoy all this, you all have a right to complain about this as much as you want.

But that doesn't mean that we all cannot, in turn, complain about your incessant whining. We are allowed to have our own opinions about your opinion and how you choose to express them.

I have been here for a decade and have seen the pre-release hype for the past three Spider-man movies. Most people railed against Sony after the movie came out and we saw the finished product, and saw that said product was subpar in numerous areas, not before we have seen a single second of footage. This has been pointed out to you all numerous times.

That being said, remind us how much you loved Batman v Superman despite the numerous deviations from the source material? I'm curious to hear how you reconcile this. I ask this question not to start a pissing contest over BvS' quality, but to understand your seemingly skewed view on adherence to the source material. You can accept a Batman that kills, but not a Spider-man that looks up to Tony Stark?

Well ok. Seeing as how every single cinematic Batman has killed besides one, and that there is precedent in the source material as well, and that it gave Bruce, what in my opinion was an interesting arc of falling into the abyss and then reforming with a new faith in humanity that he had lost. Also his kills were more so collateral damage then anything else, aside from the Knightmare sequence which obviously was alternate possible future that was dystopian. Yes I did love Batman V Superman and I disagree that there were numerous deviations from the source material. Seeing as how I'm pretty familiar with a great deal of Batman and Superman source material I didn't see these numerous deviations you speak of. I can guess what you believe to be deviations but it's really missing the point here. I don't like how Spider-Man's characteristics were presented in Civil War, specifically how poorly they illustrated his wit and humor. I didn't like how he was shown to be a shy teenager out of costume with not much difference in his demeanor in costume. Additionally I felt they betrayed one of his core character traits by taking away his autonomy and instead reducing him to a sidekick of Iron Man. Still if you insist on taking a shot at me for speaking highly of Batman V Superman then you are welcome to it, Lord knows it's certainly in vogue to do so on this forum.

I'm okay with speculation and doubts but declaring stuff as fact is a different story. Like a few of you, NOT ALL, just a few are saying its already fact that Spidey will be Tony's sidekick and that Spidey will be outshined. I have my doubts with this film, like every film but declaring things as facts when they aren't is whats kind of grinding my gears lol.

That post wasn't directed to you, your posts aren't declaring speculation as fact like a few others on here.

"I love movie A even though it has numerous changes from the source material!
Wait, I'm upset over potential, unconfirmed changes from the source material in movie B!"

Yeah, I'm gonna question that.
Maybe he takes issue with the particular changes that this movie is making to this particular established lore. Maybe he's okay with the changes they made to Batman v S's. They've already made substantial, unnecessary changes to Spidey in Civil War, why wouldn't that trend continue? We know they changed pretty much every confirmed comic character in the movie.
I'm okay with speculation and doubts but declaring stuff as fact is a different story. Like a few of you, NOT ALL, just a few are saying its already fact that Spidey will be Tony's sidekick and that Spidey will be outshined. I have my doubts with this film, like every film but declaring things as facts when they aren't is whats kind of grinding my gears lol.
It kinda is a fact. Are you forgetting about Spidey's portrayal in Civil War? And we know at least some of it's being carried over to this movie ecause ppl who saw the SDCC said Tony is texting Peter, telling him something's going down & to suit up. And they showed this in the FIRST footage. This Spider-Man can't function without Tony.

Last edited:
What I'm annoyed with is the same repetitive conversations coming from the exact same users, and it's compounded by the fact that it's the same whining over a series of minor and/or unconfirmed deviations from the source material. We haven't even seen one second of footage, yet we find ourselves mulling over the same nonsense every day.

And you know what? As much as I don't enjoy all this, you all have a right to complain about this as much as you want.

But that doesn't mean that we all cannot, in turn, complain about your incessant whining. We are allowed to have our own opinions about your opinion and how you choose to express them.

I usually don't post on here a lot as you can tell by seeing my name on the now reading the forum list. Yet, I felt the need to chime in here. This forum in particular has gotten a bit on the negative side since the announcement of RDJ appearing in the movie.

At this time, a couple of years ago, when we had gotten news about the delay of the thankfully canceled ASM 3, the morale amongst us Spider-Man fans in terms of films was at an all-time low. Those were some really dark days because I did not know if I was even going to see the joint or Sinister Six due to how disappointed I have been with the previous three flicks. All in all, I do believe it is okay to have differing opinions on what's going on with Homecoming right now.

However, for now it would be in the best interest for everyone to chill out for now unless we want the mods to get on us all. The only thing about this movie that's leaving scratching my head is the Flash Thompson stuff, it is just odd yet I'm willing to give it a shot. Alright, rant over. Have a great night, folks!

Pretty sure we've already gotten some confirmed deviations that just continue to pile on, but hey, it's better to be optimistic (you) than "pessimistic" (me), I guess. :oldrazz:

Question: What happens if we do get footage and some of our whining turns out to be for a greater truth? Do we suddenly start seeing, "Wait for the film" comments?

IIRC, I remember some stating they weren't going to see TASM2 all due to the fact that Harry Osborn is the cause of Gwen's death as opposed to Norman, let alone the other comments about how it was reminding 'em of Spider-Man 3 all over again.

Well, I appreciate that at least.

Of course you're allowed to have your opinions but when your opinions turn into unnecessary snark, i.e:

It gets even worse. There are rumors that there's a scene in which Peter eats bacons and eggs for breakfast - instead of wheat cakes! How dare Marvel change something so drastically important! First the Tinkerer, one of the most iconic villains of all time, is younger, and now wheat cakes?!

Is nothing sacred?!?

Marvel has clearly proven that they have no idea what they're doing. :o

Not another change to the most iconic, beloved super-villain of all time! Is nothing sacred?

Then I say it's complete fair game for our "incessant whining" to continue. After all, you do have us on your Ignore List, right? So why should it bother you? I encourage anyone that is disgruntled about us to do the same if it really bugs 'em. That's kinda the whole purpose behind it.

which I've already pointed out, but :tothnonetheless.

Pretty sure we've already gotten some confirmed deviations that just continue to pile on, but hey, it's better to be optimistic (you) than "pessimistic" (me), I guess. :oldrazz:

Question: What happens if we do get footage and some of our whining turns out to be for a greater truth? Do we suddenly start seeing, "Wait for the film" comments?

IIRC, I remember some stating they weren't going to see TASM2 all due to the fact that Harry Osborn is the cause of Gwen's death as opposed to Norman, let alone the other comments about how it was reminding 'em of Spider-Man 3 all over again.

Of course you're allowed to have your opinions but when your opinions turn into unnecessary snark, i.e:

Then I say it's complete fair game for our "incessant whining" to continue. After all, you do have us on your Ignore List, right? So why should it bother you? I encourage anyone that is disgruntled about us to do the same if it really bugs 'em. That's kinda the whole purpose behind it.

Tremendous post. Extremely well put.

The point of my reply was to oppose the seeming general consensus that Holland was the definitive Spider-Man, when both previous live action film versions had those same Spider-Man characteristics to varying degrees. The thing that upsets me so much about Spider-Man in Civil War is he seems forced and unnatural. He almost seems like a "fanboy focus group" version of Spider-Man. It was like ok he has to be a science genius so let's have him create his Web fluid. He has to be funny and talkative during battle but we can't have his personality be redundant to Robert Downey jr so we will have other characters comment on him "not shutting up" even though he's not talking during the fight anymore than any of the other Avengers. He has to mention with great power comes great responsibility, so let's have him say a line that essentially means that same thing only worded differently. He has to be extremely strong so let's do an homage to one of the most emotionally powerful and iconic images in Spider-Man history but instead of putting that into an emotionally gripping storyline where Aunt May is in danger and Spider-Man has to push himself past his physical limits to beyond his breaking point, we will just shoehorn it into a glorified sparring session between two groups of heroes where some heavy object falls onto Spider-Man and he supports it. Underwhelming and disappointing,, and that isn't even mentioning how Parker was made into Stark's easily manipulated lap dog sidekick.

After watching TASM2 turn Spider-man into a complete idiot Marvel's version was more than welcome. Sony managed to somehow make me dislike my favorite Marvel character. I had an immediate disconnect with Spider-man in the first 10 minutes of TASM2 and never connected with the character again. After all of the criticism that Man of Steel got with Superman's indifference to the citizens of Metropolis in his battle with Zod TASM2 basically said I see your a**hole Superman and raise you Spider-man acting like a careless dipsh** joking around with Aleksei while he's having a demolition derby plowing cars off the road. He even has Aleksei roll down the window so he can screw around. He could have stopped that truck any time he felt like it but we have to have Spider-man act like an idiot for the sake of jokes and acting goofy. And just when you think Spider-man couldn't get anymore stupid he excuses himself from Aleksei, jumps off the truck to save only Max while there's a pile-up at the intersection with cars exploding. A taxicab flies over Spider-man's head but he doesn't give a f***. It's all fun and games to him while he has a conversation with Max as Aleksei continues his rampage through the city. I actually liked TASM but after TASM2 I was in the "give the rights back to Marvel" camp and they didn't disappoint.

Props to you, sir. :up:

Also find it hilarious people are bringing up other movies to defend this one :shrug:

Well ok. Seeing as how every single cinematic Batman has killed besides one, and that there is precedent in the source material as well,

I've read thousands of Spider-man comics. I could point you to numerous issues where Spider-man displays characteristics similar to what we've seen in CW.

and that it gave Bruce, what in my opinion was an interesting arc of falling into the abyss and then reforming with a new faith in humanity that he had lost.

Could whatever potential deviations present in homecoming/CW also give Peter an interesting arc? Could his admiration/loyalty for Tony Stark blossom into a rebellion that forms him into the entirely independent, self-sufficient hero you all so desire to see? Or could the movie begin with him rebelling from Stark entirely, and have him already in that direction once the movie starts?
You can brush that aside as just a theory, but it carries just as much weight as the trepidations I see regularly expressed around here.
For the record, I have my own concerns and I am 100% not blindly defending Marvel at every time. I have numerous things I'm worried about, but I'm going to wait and see how the finished product turns out.

I didn't like how he was shown to be a shy teenager out of costume with not much difference in his demeanor in costume. Additionally I felt they betrayed one of his core character traits by taking away his autonomy and instead reducing him to a sidekick of Iron Man. Still if you insist on taking a shot at me for speaking highly of Batman V Superman then you are welcome to it, Lord knows it's certainly in vogue to do so on this forum.

We only saw Peter interact with his Aunt and someone who is arguably the most important man in the world, and even there he wasn't shy. He was starstruck as any human being naturally would be, but communicated with him effectively and gained his trust/respect.

Secondly, he wasn't Iron Man's sidekick. Again, he was a star struck kid following the most important man in the world into battle after he personally sought Peter out, as any human being naturally would. I don't care how autonomous you are, if Barack Obama/Bill Gates/Hugh Hefner all rolled into one personally asked for your help, you'd jump in head first blind folded. It's what happens afterwards that we should really judge this on. Again, you'll note that most people who have this concern (I'm really not one of them, there are so many instances in the comics of Spider-man being star-struck and tagging along with people to even count) are in "wait and see" mode, as we've only seen a brief snippet of the character in action.

This Spider-Man movie has one thing the others don't have. The MCU on it's back. The entire cast is full of amazing actors. Abundant diversity(which is rare in films these days).

This movie is gonna succeed. RDJ's presence gaurentee's that.

This Spider-Man movie has one thing the others don't have. The MCU on it's back. The entire cast is full of amazing actors. Abundant diversity(which is rare in films these days).

Preach it!!! :db:

Props to you, sir. :up:

Thanks!

Also find it hilarious people are bringing up other movies to defend this one :shrug:

That happens with every CBM anyway so eh. :oldrazz:

The film is going to make $$$ Sony wants, the film is going to make people love the character like Feige wants, the film is probably going to be 80s or higher on Rotten Tomatoes, and everybody's going to come out and declare Tom Holland as the best Peter Parker/Spider-Man. No disputing it, and it really is because it's Marvel (and no, I'm not using that as a snide comment, either) and they really can do no wrong.

With every hiccup they've had IM2, TTDW, IM3 (to some, it's split I think), they've also given us The Avengers, three good-great Captain America movies, Guardians of the Galaxy (from obscurity to must-see) and others I'm forgetting.

Thing is, nobody has been saying these new Spidey films won't be a success. :oldrazz:

Yup. Barring a complete disaster, the MCU Spider-man is here to stay, and I'm excited to hopefully grow with the character. The fact that we're getting several MCU ties in this first outing is not only hitting me in all the right fanboy spots, but it makes sense given how well established this universe is and how relatively late in the game Peter's movie is.

The thought of an MCU Doctor Octopus/Green Goblin has me stoked.

I find it hillarious you're still on this board, not moved on to a different movie universe to discuss.

Yup. Barring a complete disaster, the MCU Spider-man is here to stay, and I'm excited to hopefully grow with the character. The fact that we're getting several MCU ties in this first outing is not only hitting me in all the right fanboy spots, but it makes sense given how well established this universe is and how relatively late in the game Peter's movie is.

The thought of an MCU Doctor Octopus/Green Goblin has me stoked.
Yay, more characters who look nothing like their comic-counterpart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"