Comics Spider-Man: With Great Power

shinlyle

King of the Haters
Reaction score
Did anyone else pick this up last week? Talk about a good-looking book!! The art was great, and we got a nice little Spidey story, to boot! I'm just wondering at what point it will end. We all know it takes place between the time that Peter got bitten and the time Uncle Ben died, but I'm wondering if we'll see Peter approaching his house in the last issue and such, or will it just be completely celf-contained, and assume that everyone knows what will come next.

Either way, it's a great book.

I thought it was decent. The re-designs of Uncle Ben and Crusher Hogan kind of threw me off a bit though.

I'll probably continue with it.

I think it would be cool if they show Spider-Man appearing on David Letterman. I wonder if marvel can draw Dave or if they would need permission? They used him once before in an issue of Avengers...

B2013239.jpg

Yeah, Uncle Ben and Hogan threw me off a bit, too. Uncle Ben with a moustache was completely out of left field for me! As was the Long-haired Hogan. Until they were called by their names, I didn't know who they were.

Also, after reading the "Tangled Web" issue about Crusher Hogan, I can only see him as an uber bad-ass respectable wrestler.

Yeah, Uncle Ben and Hogan threw me off a bit, too. Uncle Ben with a moustache was completely out of left field for me! As was the Long-haired Hogan. Until they were called by their names, I didn't know who they were.

Also, after reading the "Tangled Web" issue about Crusher Hogan, I can only see him as an uber bad-ass respectable wrestler.

Mos Def

Still really loving it though, there's also the continuity glitch of Peter having a drving license.

But hey! That's what MK is for now! :)

Mos Def

Still really loving it though, there's also the continuity glitch of Peter having a drving license.

But hey! That's what MK is for now! :)

Yeah, I was trying to ignore the driver's liscense thing....

Yeah, I was trying to ignore the driver's liscense thing....

Ain't it weird seeing a teenage Pete driving...?

I dunno, for some reason it seems to be very wrong... And I don't know why I feel like that:huh:

Probably because we continuity geeks remember how Peter couldn't drive worth a flip when he had the Spider-Mobile, and we also remember him being all about a motorcycle back in the say.

Yeah, him driving a car feels very off. Even Movie-Spidey didn't drive a car.

I picked this Issue up the day it came out (January 30th) and I thought it was awesome. The art really was great and the story is really gripping so far. I can't wait for part 2. :up:

i really disliked it. characterisation seems all wrong even for a pre ben's death peter. and then the whole car problem ontop of that.

I found this to be better than all of BND...I was a bit upset with the way Crusher Hogan looked...but overall, it was great

He is a bit of a gimp tho also.

Remember ASM#271?
Crusher ended up as a cleaner in a gym whom the regulars poked fun at.
That is until Spidey passed through and ended up backing up his false boasts about him having trained Spider-Man.

Anyone pick up #2?

For me, the jury's still out on this one. It's certainly a fun read, but just seems to be lumping on extra continuity for no apparent reason. For example; Tiffany Lebeck designing the first Spider-Man costume. I guess we're to assume the final, modern version is done by Peter, while he is designing his web-shooters, and appears at the EWO's television debut...

It's just...sometimes less is more, you know what i mean?

Your thoughts?

Wasn't something like this done before? Amazing Fantasy #16-18, if I recall?

I read issue #2 today and I thought it was fantastic! I really liked how we got to see him go through alot of matches and then we end up seeing him in his red and blue classic Spider-Man costume in a huge match. I also really liked alot of other moments and I can't wait for part 3. :up:

Wasn't something like this done before? Amazing Fantasy #16-18, if I recall?

Aloha,
As well as Untold Tales of Spider-Man, which this would have to come under.The marketing dept at Marvel is not resting. On one hand, you have the reboot of Spider-Man and on the other you have Untold Tales of the Silver Age original Spider-Man. My problems are -Peter was too young to drive a car alone,Crusher was bald and I thought Maxie Shiffman was his manager during his Entertainment days?
Spidey rules

so....is this supposed to be what really happened between him getting his powers and ben dying? like, this is continuity now?

or...just a sort of "hey, this is probably what happened"?

so....is this supposed to be what really happened between him getting his powers and ben dying? like, this is continuity now?

or...just a sort of "hey, this is probably what happened"?

Aloha,
I've been thinking about that myself. Since it's a MK imprint and not an Untold Tales mini series, it may not be canon but as you suggest-this is probably what happened.Has anyone written to Marvel to get the answer?
Spidey rules

The difference (other than some obvious fauz-pas in this mini) between With Great Power and Amazing Fantasy #16 - 18 is that the new book takes place within the pages of Amazing Fantasy #15 while the latter takes place between Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1.

Amazing Fantasy #16 - 18 was a terrific read (along with Untold Tales) and arguably the best Spider-Man stuff put out during the 90's.

:yay:

The difference (other than some obvious fauz-pas in this mini) between With Great Power and Amazing Fantasy #16 - 18 is that the new book takes place within the pages of Amazing Fantasy #15 while the latter takes place between Amazing Fantasy #15 and Amazing Spider-Man #1.

Amazing Fantasy #16 - 18 was a terrific read (along with Untold Tales) and arguably the best Spider-Man stuff put out during the 90's.

:yay:

Aloha,
AGREED.:applaud
Spidey rules

maybe i am totally off on this, but i don't recall david letterman being on tv in the 60s.

Aloha,
Avengers #239 came out in 1984.
Spidey rules

which is why i wonder why the mention spidey appearing on letterman in this book, since supposedly it takes place back in the 60s? No? or am i totally off on this book. :huh:

which is why i wonder why the mention spidey appearing on letterman in this book, since supposedly it takes place back in the 60s? No? or am i totally off on this book. :huh:

Aloha,
According to Letterman's bio, he started in 1982. I think the Captain is the one that wanted to see him on Letteman in the comics. So, Capt., you some explaining to do:woot:
Spidey rules

Aloha,
According to Letterman's bio, he started in 1982. I think the Captain is the one that wanted to see him on Letteman in the comics. So, Capt., you some explaining to do:woot:
Spidey rules

Does this book take place in the 60's? :huh:

That would make Peter a senior citizen. :hehe:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"