World Spidey Suits & Suit Creation methods. - Part 1

Hey all! Little update on the SDCC 13 costume I am working on. I am courting with dye-sub companies, and most of them want large scale orders, so I might be selling a few after CC this year if anyone is interested.

That is, if they refuse to do just 1 or 2 patterns for me.

The costumes will probably cost about $100-300 for you guys when all is said and done, but they will be dye sublimated cinema quality 7 piece suits.

What style of suit is it?

Nice Update @ParkerPeters, i'm highly interrested. Btw, i think that a 100$ price tag is more than interresting,it's just amazingly affordable, even more affordable than any other expensive dye-sub suits. Good Job !!!!! :D :spidey:

That is, if they accept my request to print. It is with a company that prints large flags.

What style of suit is it?
Pattern2013_zps38380e6a.jpg

Hey guys, I'm trying to make a Spidey costume myself. I am hopeful for a seven piece suit, but I am also open to two or three. There are a few things I'm going to specify...

My budget is not large. The highest I'll go is 150, but preferably 80-90 bucks.
I am going for a more classic look. John Romita style, to be specific.
I am not an newbie at costume making, (I made a Spider-Man Noir costume) but I've still always had trouble with cloth costumes.
I have a little sewing experience, (not much) and I have access to a sewing machine.
Mostly advice I'm looking for boils down to two subjects: how does one make white eyes that one can see through, and where does one get spandex that comes in seven (ish) pieces?

EDIT: You people reading this, respond! Say something...

Last edited:
Mostly advice I'm looking for boils down to two subjects: how does one make white eyes that one can see through, and where does one get spandex that comes in seven (ish) pieces?

Get an old boombox from the thrift store, pop out the speaker grilles and spray paint them white. Then you need to cut them to size, and form fit them to your face (don't cut yourself!) viola! You have some lenses. Put the hood over them, and the frames over the hood.

SPANDEX! Buy swimming suit material at your local fabric store (between $9-19 per yard, YIKES!) take your measurements, and feel free to use the pattern I have posted here several times to rough up the shape of the cuts.

Get an old boombox from the thrift store, pop out the speaker grilles and spray paint them white. Then you need to cut them to size, and form fit them to your face (don't cut yourself!) viola! You have some lenses. Put the hood over them, and the frames over the hood.

SPANDEX! Buy swimming suit material at your local fabric store (between $9-19 per yard, YIKES!) take your measurements, and feel free to use the pattern I have posted here several times to rough up the shape of the cuts.

Hey, thanks a lot for the helpful advice! :D I'll get to that right away.

So I am a little further along in my SDCC 13 suit aquisition process, and as you may have read, I need to buy suits in bulk. If anyone wants one (this will ship to you as a sheet of dye sublimated lycra, you have to sew it, but otherwise, it is good. Cinema quality) I am going to be charging about $125 per suit you want done.

You may have also seen my designs are a little less than traditional, so I went ahead and whipped up this pattern if anyone would like it instead of my more TASM take on the classic suit.

Here is the gist of what my "Amazing Fantasy" suit will look like. It is a reinvisioning of the classic suit from Amazing Fantasy, with a thin chest strip, and a low riding spider-symbol.
Classic1.jpg

It has the more modern honey-comb pattern, that is what makes it modern, and the redesigned spider-symbol. A hybrid of Webb's symbol, and the contemporary symbol seen in the comics
Classic2.jpg

Web shading. It makes everything look real nice, inspired by how Romita Jr. draws Spidey's webs. I always liked how he made the space between the webs look segmented. I wanted to emulate that in a way. And in the process of trying to make it look passable, I came up with something that looked cool as all heck.
Classic3.jpg

Just PM me if you are interested.

Tinkering a bit with the colors of the suit posted above, as well as making a variation with dye sublimated cloth eyepieces for whoever is interested... It is experimental, and my test print will be this mask with cloth eyes.

dyesublens.jpg

EDIT: Nevermind.

As for mine:
Still working. Expect to see progress (w/ pictures) within a month.

Here is a look at the preliminary mask that will be used in my upcoming Spider-Man film:
IMG_0153.JPG

And a sketch of the spider symbol:
newlogo1.JPG

Last edited:
Not to toot my own horn, but I almost made sweet love to this mask after I stepped back to admire it.

969865_10201431126399774_407056892_n.jpg

Thanks. The costume should be done in a week or 2 (just in time for SDCC) and I will post a few pics, and I have a photoshoot lined up IN SanDiego for a more professional Spidey Shoot. I have lost about 20 lbs since last year, so good bye fat Spidey, hello love handles Spidey!

awesomesauce !! can't wait to see more of it !! :D
btw,do you have an email address ?? (send me it on a PM here,thanks)

Other options (just in case you guys weren't aware) you can do your dye sub printing thru www.fabricondemand.com and you can buy wire mesh (for see thru eye pieces) at Michaels Craft stores or online. Good luck on your Spidey suits guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"