Spielberg Circling New ‘Bullitt’ Film

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score

EXCLUSIVE: Even as he juggles an award season campaign for West Side Story and post-production on his semi-autobiographical pic The Fablemans, Steven Spielberg looks to be getting that future dance card in order as sources tell Deadline he is attached to direct a new original story revolving centered on Frank Bullitt, the iconic character played by Steve McQueen in the 1968 thriller, Bullitt. Spielberg will also produce the pic along with Kristie Macosko Krieger with Josh Singer on board to pen the script. Sources do add that with no script and deals still being finalized, this would likely not be the next project he directs.

In the film, Frank Bullitt is a no-nonsense San Francisco cop on the hunt for the mob kingpin that killed his witness. Considered one of McQueen’s more iconic roles, the film delivers one the most famous chase scenes in cinema history. Sources were clear this is not a remake of that film but a new original idea centered on the character. Steve McQueen’s kids, Chad and Molly McQueen will exec produce.

Insiders say Spielberg had been toying with the idea to direct a film based on the character for some time and came close last year to making it his follow-up to West Side Story but but had to negotiate with the McQueen estate for the rights to the character before he would attach as a director. With the negotiations taking longer then expected, Spielberg shifted his focus to directing The Fablemans, the film which is loosely based on the director’s childhood growing up in Arizona, and moved off of this film. Once filming wrapped on Fablemans, he circled back to the Frank Bullitt project and recently tapped Singer to pen the script.

Spielberg is already having a good start to the year with West Side Story recently landing six Oscars which included a best director and best picture nominations. As for The Fablemans, that pic bows this Thanksgiving.
Unexpected.

Steven Spielberg To Direct Movie Based on ‘Bullitt’ Character – Deadline

bruh-brah.gif

This could fall through because it's Spielberg, but the prospect of him not only doing a Bullitt follow up of all things, but doing a noir thriller is incredibly exciting and not something he's done before. The closest he got is the high concept Minority Report. Seeing an older Spielberg tackle this will be fascinating.

This is probably the first Spielberg film I've been truly excited about in a long time. For once he isn't making a grandpa movie! Unless it's about an older Bullitt I guess!

Who to cast as Bullitt?

But Blackhawk. :csad:

This is a bit weird, the Frank Bullit character isn't iconic, he's no Harry Callahan, John McClane or even John Wick, the only things iconic about Bullit are the car chase and the Mustang that are part of a fairly dull, by the numbers thriller. Casting-wise I could see Piit, Craig or Gosling in the role.

More than anything, I think Spielberg is in the period of his filmmaking career where he's making all his genre childhood passions that he hasn’t covered yet. A musical (West Side Story), a western, a crime action film (Bullit), a comic book film (Blackhawk), an autobiographical family drama film (The Fabelmans)…

Last edited:
Yeah, I love this era where Spielberg is just checking off the little things he's wanted to do for all these years. A Spielberg Noir or a Spielberg Western are equally exciting. Can't wait to see what comes next.

Great catch. Maybe this is his next after all?

Bradley Cooper is a big downgrade after Steve McQueen, but then again I'm very wary about a new entry of such a classic film after all those years. I'm still very curious about it, though.

Bullitt does seem like an untouchable classic.

I´m still very curious, even when Bradley Cooper doesn't give me the right vibes for the role.

But then again, he didn't gave a lot of "Space Raccoon" vibes, yet he nailed it.

Read somewhere his recent films arent that succesfull at the box office. Dont know why, but i guess his formula in the way he makes and presents his films isnt that special anymore, not innovative enough. Ready Player was nice but not that interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"