Splitting the Bill

The Darkness

Civilian
Reaction score
I dunno how old you guys are or how often you're eating out with a big group of people...but I'm 21 and my gfs cousins and their friends are like 25-32 give or take...grown ass people...so I dunno if this is why my train of thought it so different...or maybe its cuz they're Portuguese (when we're with white friends, there is a debate as to how to split the bill...basically they do not want to do it this way)...or may they're just THAT tight...but, whenever the bill comes and I'm with these guys, we split it even.

All I ever get is a drink and a side of fries.

Which is what I did last night...and the bill came out to $290.00....amongst the 11 of us (it was 12, but we went out for one girls bday so excluded her from the split) we ended up splitting it and making it $26.something for each of us.

All I got a was a drink and fries....you can imagine what everyone else ate.

My question is....how do you split the bill...what ways are you against splittin the bill...am I just bein' a grimey ***** or am I justified in not wanting to put $20 more for the lobster someone else got.

I woulda been down for everyone putting in what they owe, and then we divide the b-day girls total amongst the 11 of us and toss that in...

Should I just anticipate this method and eat more food from now on?

I think that in the case where there is a large group of people, everyone should pay for what they ate with everyone splitting the bill for the birthday boy/girl.

If everyone is bent on splitting everything evenly, just order lots of expensive things! :awesome:

If you're not a big eater I would say not to eat when you're out with them.

Make sure you eat before going out with them to resturaunts so you don't get hungry or tempted to eat with them.

Proper etiquette for

Dividing or sharing the restaurant bill with others:

Always assume that if you’re dining in a group of more than 6 people (3 couples), that the check is going to be divided evenly among everyone.

When dining when other couples, If you know you’re going to ask for a separate check, tell the server before you order so that the process is simplified later.

Take into account any significant ($15 or more) price differences in orders. If someone only orders soup and everyone else orders 2-3 courses, it’s not fair to make them pay the same.

If there are a couple people not drinking alcohol while the rest of the group is, separate the beverage total to take this into account and don’t overcharge the non-drinkers.

I don't split the bill unless the group is like, taking somebody out to dinner, and even then I'll pay for what I ate, and a portion of what the person we're honoring or whatever ate. Everybody else can get their own s**t. Make sure you let people know the way you plan on paying for this stuff ahead of time.

I HATE splitting the bill that way. The ones who hardly ate anything are screwed because they often have to pay double what they ordered. I think everyone should just pay for what they ordered.

Before ordering, request separate checks and make sure to mention the idea to the group before you tell the waiter.

I've always paid for what I ate and drank. Nothing more, nothing less. Well the tip of course but the fair thing is for everyone to pay for what THEY had.

I always pay for what I eat and drink, especially since I always eat by myself. I refuse to eat with others because resolving the bill always becomes a cluster**** since everyone is too chicken**** to get it cleared up before they give their orders.

I always say I forgot my wallet. :o

I just get separate checks it is the easiest way. 26 dollars for fries and a drink those better be the greatest fries ever.

Ask for a separate check. If this was a one time thing, it'd be courteous to just contribute, but more than once is kind of ridiculous.

I'd pay for what I had as well as the tip an who evers birthday it is we all chip in a get there tab.

Pay for what you had and not a penny more. People said I was crazy writing down the price of what I had to pay on my arm(I keep a running total), but then I was the one who knew what to pay in the end!!

I'm 29 and with big outings like that with others I usually pay by Credit Card for myself (and of course a tip) to avoid having to do such things especailly If I only ordered a little bit.

The bill is never near me when it comes and then it's just decided, "lets split!" I make less than ALL of them too lol If I were to be like, uh lets not...that just makes me look bad...should I just not give a **** about that as long as I pay what I bought?

since customer service is dead, 'we cant do separate checks'

last time this happened i had a sandwhich and everyone had like lobster and drinks...on my left were like our white friends and on my right were all the portuguese...they were each tlking ish about each other....

why do we have to split??

how come they're bein like that? why not split?

I had one drink, they had wine and mad sangria...why am I gonna pay so much?

I thought we were all friends here....why not just split it and be done with it?

i was like dead in the middle and heard this whispering amongst the political parties and ****

actually im starting to realize that it is the same person who starts it up...lol but she and her bf didnt get meals actually...so its like...is she just trying to get out of here fast...does she think we all spent the same anyway....or does she just not see anything ****ed up about the whole thing?

i am super cool with these people....glad i met them and i feel sorry for the me in some parallel universe who doesnt...but this, the few times we do eat out, is the one thing that just makes me go omgwtf*****ssmhfml4real!?

Pay for what you had and not a penny more. People said I was crazy writing down the price of what I had to pay on my arm(I keep a running total), but then I was the one who knew what to pay in the end!!
I'm voting for you as our next chancellor of the exchequer. Doesn't matter if Lord Valumart isn't on the voting form I'll write it on there and put a tick next to it.

You can't do any worst than Gordo and eyebrows anyway :woot:

Fries and a drink?! Thats probably like 8 bucks at a restaurant man TOPS, no way should you have split the bill.

I would approach your waiter at some point personally and ask for a separate check for yourself, then. Tell them when you order.

I would approach your waiter at some point personally and ask for a separate check for yourself, then. Tell them when you order.

Then you run the risk of being looked at as a jerk. Some people act like that when it comes to tabs. They feel because you're out having fun, money should be no object.

Yeah there's no reason to "split" the bill evenly unless everyone ate the same thing. If they're going to be *******s about it remind them that you ate 8 bucks worth of food and are having to pay three times the amount because they hate the super shrimp and lobster platter for two.

I'm voting for you as our next chancellor of the exchequer. Doesn't matter if Lord Valumart isn't on the voting form I'll write it on there and put a tick next to it.

You can't do any worst than Gordo and eyebrows anyway :woot:
It was the first time I'd ever been out in some kind of social situation meal without my parents and I thought it was all fine. It's so logical it's amazing no one done it before...
Then you run the risk of being looked at as a jerk. Some people act like that when it comes to tabs. They feel because you're out having fun, money should be no object.

This is why you have rounds of drinks. Mind you the guy who buys the first round emptys the most money since people leave at random times during the night bringing the round of drinks down so...don't go first. Or there's the don't drink booze so then people feel sorry for you and buy you cola all night:up:

I HATE splitting the bill that way. The ones who hardly ate anything are screwed because they often have to pay double what they ordered. I think everyone should just pay for what they ordered.

That or get separate checks.

Yeah, you don't have to be a jerk about it. I see what you're saying, but if you do it right you shouldn't look bad.

"Okay everyone time to pay up. It's $26 apiece."

"Guys hate to be a stickler, but I'm not making that much cash right now. And I only ordered a drink and some fries.."

I think reminding them you don't make as much should help put how little your order actually is into perspective. If they give you any guff about it get firm-not mean-but firm.

"Look guys, I ate some fries. I can't afford to be paying 30 dollars for fries everytime we go out!"

And if that doesn't work, tell them you have to go to the bathroom and jump out the window.

When my friend and I would have lunch 1-2 times a week during the summer, one of us would pay the bill and the other would pay the tip. We'd alternate on who paid what.

When I had lunch with him and another guy, we paid for what we ate. For the tip, they chipped in $2 each and I put in $1 since I had a bigger meal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"