Splitting the Bill

Proper etiquette for

Dividing or sharing the restaurant bill with others:

Always assume that if you’re dining in a group of more than 6 people (3 couples), that the check is going to be divided evenly among everyone.

When dining when other couples, If you know you’re going to ask for a separate check, tell the server before you order so that the process is simplified later.

Take into account any significant ($15 or more) price differences in orders. If someone only orders soup and everyone else orders 2-3 courses, it’s not fair to make them pay the same.

If there are a couple people not drinking alcohol while the rest of the group is, separate the beverage total to take this into account and don’t overcharge the non-drinkers.

I agree with everything in this post. Next time talk to everyone about how you're splitting the bill before you order. That way if you just get soda and fries you can ask for a separate check.

I think you should just start eating more than fries when you go out with these people. You're gonna be paying for it anyway, might as well get an actual meal. This past weekend, I had a lot of experience with this.

Went out Friday with friends to a restaurant I've been to before and the last time I was there, the portions were huge, my ex-gf and I split a dish and couldn't finish it. So I suggested to my current girlfriend we split something, everyone else got a full dish, the sizes were smaller, so felt kind of stupid, but paid for the both of us, it was a group of 12. We go out together regularly and I'm sure I haven't paid my fair share before, so no big deal.

Saturday went out with my girlfriend's friends and some of their friends to a nice restaurant, probably 12 people again, one side of the table wasn't drinking, since we were running a race the next day. The other side ordered a number of drinks and a bottle of wine or two, since we were out with my girlfriend's friends she paid, but felt kind of bad, cause they did the whole split the bill thing and I'm sure she paid much more than she should have, since the drinker's were her friend's friends I know it's not the same and it wouldn't even out over time.

The problem with big groups is it sometime's gets really difficult, you should really establish seperate checks from the beginning, get something more than fries and a drink or meet them out after they've had dinner, that's what I did when I didn't have much money, just told them to let me know where they were headed to after dinner and I'd meet them there.

Just ask for seperate checks. :huh:

It is easy. When the waiter is there taking orders, tell him/her that you're a separate order and then tell them what you're getting.

Yeah, all it really requires is for you to speak up and not be a wussy.

It isn't easy if your friends give you **** about it.

F**k your friends. Give them s**t for being stupid enough to play the slit the bill game.

Here's what you do. Ask if they plan on spliting the bill ahead of time, then order every exspensive thing on the menu, then listen to them whine when it's time to split a 500 dollar bill.

I used to work as a waiter in college. Nothing more annoying than people telling you they need separate checks AFTER a meal. Like I should remember who had 3 Cokes and who only had water.

Also, if you go out as a group, couples, whatever, don't make the chicks pay. Chivalry is not dead, send the girls to go powder their nose and the guys deal with the bill by the time they get back. My wife used to ask where's the check when we first started dating, after a couple times out with my friends and I she figured out that's not the woman's business.

I either split the bill or get invited or ivite. I do not like splitting with uneven amounts which always tend to be underestimated.

I've noticed the people who make a big deal about splitting the check when they've had a lot are also the first people to whine that they're paying too much when they haven't had alot. I'd say, either get a separate check, or just throw down your eight bucks and let it be known that THAT is your share, or order alot of the most expensive things you can and if you can't finish it, take it home, and if see if the 'splitters' say anything about it.

Personally, I wonder if they are ordering lobster and wine because they know they are getting it cheaper than normal because it's split between more people. If that's the case, then they are using you and you don't need friends like that. If they are making a big deal about you getting a separte check, especially if they know you don't make a lot, then they aren't really your friends.

I'd start asking for more food and drinks. :up:

Also, if you go out as a group, couples, whatever, don't make the chicks pay. Chivalry is not dead, send the girls to go powder their nose and the guys deal with the bill by the time they get back. My wife used to ask where's the check when we first started dating, after a couple times out with my friends and I she figured out that's not the woman's business.

Really? Send the girls to go powder their nose, paying bills is man's business? I'm by no means cheap when I'm out with my girlfriend, but we do have an agreement that whoever's group of friends we're having dinner with is who's paying for the dinner. When we're on vacation we alternate who pays as well. The man paying for everything, in my mind, is an outdated concept, girls have more career opportunities and ability to make more money nowadays. Like I said, I'm not a cheapskate and did/do pay for dates, but I think once you're established in a relationship, it should be more about taking turns with the tab.

Exactly. The woman has money as well. The guy shouldn't make her pay all the time, nor should she expect him to pay all the time. Taking turns is the way to go.

Hey, if a woman wants to be equal with a man, she should pay sometimes when you are out. I do things out of the kindness of my heart, not because of some old rule about me supposing to take care of a chick's meal. Equality doesn't equal entitlement, so we should all do things out of the kindness of our heart instead of obligation.

Yeah, it's good when the chick picks up the check, but be prepared to have to put out. :o

That's how I keep my pimp game strong. I put out so much that the 'E' in my name stands for easy.

My aunt treated all of us to IHOP yesterday, and we were all set to bust out our wallets. It was beautiful...mostly because I had five chocolate chip pancakes and was kinda short on money. :o

When we go out to eat and the bill comes the calculator comes out lol.

Don't be afraid to pay for your share, its not right that you're paying $26 for fries and a coke, I dont care how good it is. Doesnt matter if they give you heat for it because fact is they don't have a moral leg to stand on, how anyone can expect you to pay for this lobster is ridiculous!

Personally I'd probably just eat more so I'm getting my monies worth, either that or I'd order seperately & pay for my own food. I'd probably throw in $5 or so to help cover birthday girl though.

this is why I'm happy I don't have friends

/cyanide & happiness

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"