SPOILER ORIENTED POLL: Which fate do you prefer?

No. He wanted to die a hero in his own mind. Suicide would prevent that from happening.

It was practically suicide anyways though. The way snyder described it, his last act was like "suicide by cop" where you provoke a cop just so he'll shoot you. I don't think anyone's ever seen that as a "heroic death"?

Zod already knew at that point he couldn't beat superman in a fight so he pretty much gave up and gave superman an out to kill him. Again that is basically suicide.

Phantom Zone, definitely. Superman should never, ever kill. Ever. He's Superman, he always finds another way.

I would have been fine with either outcome, but I'm completely fine with Superman being forced to kill Zod. Especially because he didn't do it lightly. He was completely up against the wall, there was no other choice and Zod kept pushing and pushing him. Had Zod somehow managed to escape, he would have just obliterated people left and right, pushing Superman's buttons further. There was no Phantom Zone Projector, there was no Kryptonite, he couldn't afford to take his eyes off Zod. They would have continued to fight until they eventually toppled over due to exhaustion or someone managed to land a fatal blow.

He is the guy that took a blood sample from Superman. He played Lex Luthor's defective clone in Smallville.

I'm fine with the way it was filmed, but if it was Snyder's intention to make that the pivotal point in Superman's life in which he chooses not to kill, I wish they would have filmed him making that decision, right then, and saying it out loud to Lois when she was holding him. That could have been an incredibly powerful moment, and it would have told the world what kind of superhero he was going to be.

^ "I'll never kill again Lois."
"That's nice. Do you want to know how many Kryptonians I vaporized?"

Supes flies off.

Thematically Superman killing Zod was better. In terms of running time Zod should have been sucked into PZ because the action in the movie went on for far too long.

The demise of Zod was totally shocking. And I can see how controversial it is. Also; if someone had told me of that before I saw the movie, I would have said it was awful. But damn me if it didn't work. The execution of that scene was brilliant and the choice meshed with the real world approach. A situation like that could happen in real life, what would the "hero" do? Yeah, this isn't real life and the writer could have avoided it. But that's not the point for me, it's how much that scene struck a chord that couldn't have been reached with a different outcome.

Superman's screaming cry echoes inside me still.

I cried when it happened,but, I wouldnt change the ending.

You know, I keep hearing about this guy on the boards, but I have no idea who he is. What part was he in MOS?
He played Jax Ur , the Scientist who deduced The Codex Was inside Superman

It was a pretty contrived scenario. One of two (the other being the Pa Kent death scenario) that took me out of the movie for a moment even though I knew it was coming (asked on the forum about it before seeing the movie). Neither wrecks the movie for me and there better be some consequential follow-up in the next movie. Needless to say if Kal just kills Lex Luthor (or whoever) in the next movie I'll be much less forgiving.

He is the guy that took a blood sample from Superman. He played Lex Luthor's defective clone in Smallville.

He was also in the movie Grave Encounters, playing an actor posing as a psychic on a paranormal investigation show. If you like horror movies and haven't seen Grave Encounters, you should check it out. It's a great little low budget film. Very interesting.

It was a pretty contrived scenario. One of two (the other being the Pa Kent death scenario) that took me out of the movie for a moment even though I knew it was coming (asked on the forum about it before seeing the movie). Neither wrecks the movie for me and there better be some consequential follow-up in the next movie. Needless to say if Kal just kills Lex Luthor (or whoever) in the next movie I'll be much less forgiving.

I really don't think he will. It seems to me like they set up this finale to develop his internal moral struggle and complete transformation. I'm guessing he'll never kill again, on purpose.

I'll tell you one thing, I preferred Superman snapping Zod's neck left with no choice whatsoever to, 'I wont kill you but I don't have to save you'. I hate that so much. With every fibre of my being I hate that.

I always thought that was Bruce reflecting the attitudes of Ras Al Ghul back at him.
Speaking of Bruce letting him live when he could have let him fall to his death in the Himalayas,
Ras said "I told that you that your compassion would be your undoing ".

I always thought that was Bruce reflecting the attitudes of Ras Al Ghul back at him.
Speaking of Bruce letting him live when he could have let him fall to his death in the Himalayas,
Ras said "I told that you that your compassion would be your undoing ".

Batman wont break his one rule...unless he can't be bothered.

Back to Superman, I had no problem with Superman taking a life. He's done it in the movies and in the comics, he only has to do it in the cartoons to make it a clean sweep.

Perhaps in one of the animated films ,But I dont think Superman will ever kill in any animated series.

I don't mean to open a can of worms here but was Zod truly alive and sentient or just an organic "robot"? I'm just saying this because apart from Kal-El who is biologically born giving him the status of "Krypton's last true son" and capable of free will whereas Zod and all the other Kryptonians were just grown and bred for specific functions in life.

Clark probably knew this because all Zod is meant to do in life is just kill or strategize ways to kill, plus looking at the situation there was no other way at the time to save that family.

P.S. This is my first post in the spoiler forum for Man of Steel! It feels Super good that I can post here after finally seeing the movie.(It just came out in Australia)

I honestly wanted to LOL when I saw him in the movie.

Ditto. He's a nice guy who lives around Vancouver and i've met him several times, but who the hell told him to play the role with a German accent? He stuck out like a sore thumb and was pretty cringe worthy. I kept seeing him at conventions over the last year advertising a "secret role" in MOS, well his role was kind of a joke and pretty unecessary. The scene where he backed away from Superman scared was pretty goofy.

There wasn't another way did u not watch the movie?
I did. And he could have kept choking until Zod passed out, then taken the battle to an uninhabited area and kept him occupied until the military can salvage some leftover pieces of the World Engine and use that to depower him.

I said phantom zone, because I have some issues with the ending, none of which have anything to do with the concept of Superman killing Zod. I think Superman killing Zod can be an excellent scene. I don't think the drama was earned for that moment though, nor do I think they gave it enough gravity after the fact either

I really don't think he will. It seems to me like they set up this finale to develop his internal moral struggle and complete transformation. I'm guessing he'll never kill again, on purpose.

That and some how I just have to belive Zod's body and DNA will end up at Lex Corp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"