Square Enix's Avengers

I bought this for $10 from GameFly used. For the first two missions, it had me. Then it fell off the cliff. The combat is goodish (Thor and Cap) to down right terrible (Hulk). Overall I like the personalities of Kamala, Thor and Widow but there is just nothing to play here.
The campaign isn't too bad, certainly has its moments, the problem is the side missions after that just get repetitive...among other things

The Spider-Man DLC is definitely happening. I'm pretty sure I came across an interview in which one of the developers said they were currently working on the Spidey dlc. I don't see them abandoning it especially, the dlc is an eXclusive deal with Sony.

After the Spidey dlc, I wouldn't mind if they abandon the game.

I was going to pick it up the other week, saw it for £16 which I think is the cheapest I've seen it, but I ended up holding off simply because I think even that might be too much for it based on everything I'd read & heard through word of mouth.

When it drops below the £10 mark I'll probably pick it up but in reality, if this was any other title not connected to Marvel or DC, I'd have been put off it completely. The Marvel license alone is enough to get me to drop a few quid on it just to see.

eXcluding the forest, Wakanda looks good. I am not finishing it one sitting so I hope its way longer than Hawkeye's chapter.

Overall I love the characterization of Christopher Jugde take as King T'Challa The Black Panther , the combat is fluid and very acrobatic.

The story is around the same length as Operation Aim and Future Imperfect, the difference is the character interaction between The Avengers and Black Panther is handled better

The new enemy types are an improvement from the standard AIM assault drones and Adaptoids

Klaw is a good boss only I wanted more from him and Crossbones

I found this eXpansion to be meh. Aside from using Black Panther and few cutscenes, there's nothing enjoyable about it. Black Panther's skills aren't even good. Imo this was written worse than the last two eXpansions. Shuri and Okoye were just there to give out dialogues. While Crossbones and Klaw are the big bads you have to take out. The story felt empty. Black Panther's Interaction with the Avengers... well they just talked. The new enemies aren't really distinct from Aim.

Last edited:
I played a little of the Wakanda expansion last night but I had to shut it off after I got frustrated from the uncooperative AI teammates. I was downed and Thor was just standing there not reviving me. There were also these glitchy black blobs that appeared on the screen from time to time starting with the Crossbones fight. On the plus side, it is fun to play as T'Challa and Wakanda itself looks great.

I’m sure for Black Friday in just three months (damn, already?!) the game will be marked down to like $10-$15. That’s when I’ll get it. And by then hopefully even more DLC will be out, especially the Spider-Man content

I'm really curious as to how the Spider-Man content turns out. I'll admit, I thought the Black Panther DLC was pretty decent but I really can't see any way the Spider-Man DLC will be anything but an embarrassment in comparison to the Insomniac games.

The Spider-Man dlc is likely a 3 hour eXpansion with some cutscenes and maybe a new location/hub/bosses/goons. But these dlcs are really not going to be as developed as Assembled campaign.the dlc for Hawkeye and Black Panther would have been great if it was longer, and we get do more things in the Wasteland/Wakanda (aside from the repetitive stuff just coated with new paint). Wasteland had an interesting premise and they easily could have done more with it. While we don't really get to eXplore Wakanda aside from the jungle/hub and Shuri/Okoye were given meaningless dialogues. So I couldn't enjoy the ending they gave for Shuri. Crossbones, in my playthrough he just ran away. While the Avengers didn't really interact with Hawkeye/Black Panther aside from few sentences which are missable if you don't get around in the hub.

So I expect the Spider-Man dlc to be the same. Beat random goons (most likely Aim) because you're a superhero, ride elevators for a minute, talk to some npcs, eXchange few sentences with the Avengers at the hub and a boss fight in the end + some meaningless side stuff if you want to level up.

I hope that is out by December then by neXt year, Square eniX should make an announcement if they are going to stop supporting it or keep releasing dlcs.

Last edited:
So I expect the Spider-Man dlc to be the same. Beat random goons (most likely Aim) because you're a superhero, ride elevators for a minute, talk to some npcs, eXchange few sentences with the Avengers at the hub and a boss fight in the end + some meaningless side stuff if you want to level up.
I'm almost certain it'll be like that but I can't see them nailing web swinging the way that the Insomniac games did, even in the city environment that we've already seen in the game.

If you've already beaten the main campaign, is there any reason to stick around just to play a bunch of disconnected stories that don't seem to have much in the way of meaningful content?

If you've already beaten the main campaign, is there any reason to stick around just to play a bunch of disconnected stories that don't seem to have much in the way of meaningful content?
If you want to play the Kate, Hawkeye, Black Panther and Spider-Man, or make the most out of the single player dlcs.
I'm almost certain it'll be like that but I can't see them nailing web swinging the way that the Insomniac games did, even in the city environment that we've already seen in the game.
They won't though I did like how fleXible Black Widow,Kate and Bishop are with their grapple gun or teleportation. What I dislike about the skill tree is you got 3 special moves... and the rest in the skill tree, you gotta grind just to level up and when I got more skills,and I didn't notice the newer set moves.

Compare to other Arkham/Insomniac, its fun to try and eXperiment every skill and you will really notice a difference. In Avengers, not really.

Last edited:
If that suit had dropped with the DLC launch two weeks ago I might have sprung for it but since I'm not planning on revisiting the game anytime soon I might as well wait until it's discounted. It does look good though, and more tempting to buy than the 2012 Avengers Cap suit or the Black Widow white suit MCU skins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"