Star Trek 3 Plot and villain

Lord

All Mighty
Reaction score
I see many around here thinking the next film should use an original villain instead of an old one, while i agree that if they created a very interesting new character and plot they should do that, however i also think that there's a lot of potencial in old episodes, a modern representation of Gary Mitchell or The Menagerie two part episodes could be the basis for a very interesting movie.

1000px-Mitchell-and-Dehner.jpg

1000px-Christopher_Pike%2C_The_Menagerie.jpg

I feel like the Klingons have been slowly built up to be villains, if not for the next film, at least for something in the future. Especially with the line that a war between them is inevitable.

It would be cool to see the Mirror universe tackled at some point too.

I'd either like something with Gary Mitchell (but could seem too similar to Khan), or a revisiting of The City on the Edge of Forever.

The Enterprise is now out there, actually doing exploration. Now, exploration is a double-edged sword, though... you can run into some baaaad stuff.

Stuff like, y'know.... THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE.

It'd be a neat way of finally bringing exploration back to Trek movies (there really hasn't been one since, what, STV) while also having big special effects spectaculars. The theme would be simple: about how exploration, despite it's dangers, is necessary. Without exploration, after all, they'd have never found and stopped the Doomsday Machine, and so Earth would have just gotten one day, or something.

I don't know that you could just have the Doomsday Machine as a whole movie. Not only is it a very ship-bound story but it migth he too similar in premise to Star Trek the Slow Motion Picture with V'ger.

I think the films work best with either a villain or exploration down on a planet or both.

The Enterprise is now out there, actually doing exploration. Now, exploration is a double-edged sword, though... you can run into some baaaad stuff.

Stuff like, y'know.... THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE.

It'd be a neat way of finally bringing exploration back to Trek movies (there really hasn't been one since, what, STV) while also having big special effects spectaculars. The theme would be simple: about how exploration, despite it's dangers, is necessary. Without exploration, after all, they'd have never found and stopped the Doomsday Machine, and so Earth would have just gotten one day, or something.

Let's ad another Threat, like the Tholians. I mean Tholians & Doomsday Machine? How Cool could that be? :woot:

If they use as the Klingons as the primary antagonists, I wonder if they'll bring back one of the TOS-era commanders back in a major role. Maybe a young Chang since Kor, Kang, and Koloth weren't really true villains, and were even redemmed later on in DS9.

If they use as the Klingons as the primary antagonists, I wonder if they'll bring back one of the TOS-era commanders back in a major role. Maybe a young Chang since Kor, Kang, and Koloth weren't really true villains, and were even redemmed later on in DS9.

But since this is an altered continuity, there's no reason Kor, Kang and Koloth can't be villains. They were true villains back in the original series. It's that the perception of Klingons were changed by the time of TNG and following.

Is anyone against having Kahn return? Would that be too fast a turn around for all of you?

Is anyone against having Kahn return? Would that be too fast a turn around for all of you?

Khan returning in the next movie is pefectly fine.....

.... if you're stuck in Groundhog Day.

the entire cast grows goatees and it is revealed we have been watching the events of the evil Mirror-verse the whole time

The best Star Trek episodes and movies always were poltical allegories like 'Let that be thy battlefield' or TUC that reflected relevant real life happening of that time. ST3 should work around things that are going on right now, like the Arab Spring or Syria and since I really want Andorians to appear in New Trek, the people that turns against a tyrant dictator should be part of the UFP, which raises interesting questions how to cope with a situation like that when it happens with a Federation founding member and the political mechanics the federation can even use to intervene in that case. Hungaria and the recent rise of fascism thereh comes to mind, where the EU is pretty ineffective in stopping Orban and the far right at changing their constitution and opressing their minorities... there is a lot of potential in that stories, more than a simple good guy vs. bad guy plot again.
To make things personal for the Enterprise crew have one or two of them trapped on the planet that goes through the turmoil, let's say Bones and Carol on a Doctors without Frontiers like operation. Maybe let the crew go against direct Starfleet orders to save them...

Is there going to be a Star Trek 3? I've been really worried since the latest movie didn't seem to do as well. I loved it, already seen it 4 times, and I would love to see a sequel with this crew.

Sorry for bumping an oldish thread but just looking through.

It kind of points to being the Borg or certainly a Borg origins that leads into a 4th film. Neros ship used Borg technology and in Enterprise (if that effects this universe) The Borg from first contact that survived sent a message to the home planet with Earths coordinates it would take 200 years to arrive but these films arent too bothered about details.

My guess is a Klingon/Romulan conflict with V'ger/Nomad and Borg story, the writers for these films havent been exactly imaginative so i wouldnt expect a new species.

Showing Khan being put back in his space condom indicates he'll be back for a later film, possibly 5

If it is the Borg, Kirk is immune to assimilation because of (old) Spocks mindmeld

THe thread is only a month old, it's not an oldish thread at all, in least not around these forums

Neros ship used Borg technology and in Enterprise (if that effects this universe) The Borg from first contact that survived sent a message to the home planet with Earths coordinates it would take 200 years to arrive but these films arent too bothered about details.

If it is the Borg, Kirk is immune to assimilation because of (old) Spocks mindmeld

That happened during the time before Nero came back to Earth so technically that didn't change in this time line.

I'm not too familiar with Star Trek could you clarify how Kirk is immune to assimilation because of the mindmeld?

That happened during the time before Nero came back to Earth so technically that didn't change in this time line.

I'm not too familiar with Star Trek could you clarify how Kirk is immune to assimilation because of the mindmeld?

It's just a guess that Kirk would be immune, but Nimoys Spock mindmeld with both Nomad and V'ger and in one of the books this saves him from being assimilated as they sense this connection in his mind and assume he is already borg, Spock uses the meld on Kirk when he first meets him in Star Trek (2009) with a 'transfer of emotion'

Actually if you paid attention to Star Trek Into Darkness, it looks like they are saving the Klingons for Star Trek 3.

They have been quoted (the writers) saying they want the Klingons in the 3rd film, they have been trying since the first to get them in there and set something up. But JJ Klingons dont really pose any threat. Starfleet having gained technology from both Nero and Khan the Klingons would be totally outmatched

^
I agree with you that the alternate universe Klingons don't pose any threat, from what we saw in the film. They were poorly set up to be a threat in Into Darkness, however I do think that they will probably be the major villains in Trek 13. I think the impulse to bring back a familiar fan favorite that the general audience also knows will be too strong to resist.

My only reservation on that though is that the current IDW ongoing comics series, which Roberto Orci oversees seem to pushing toward a Klingon conflict. And in the comics the Klingons pose more of a threat because they imprisoned Nero for twenty-something years and got some of the Narada's technology.

Granted the comics aren't canon, though I do think there has had been some effort to make the synch up to the films, with even a mention of the "Mudd Incident" in Into Darkness from the comic Countdown to Darkness. But on one of the Trek websites, someone pointed out that the comics were contradicted also by Into Darkness, in a line where Kirk said he no one had died under his command which was not the case in the comics.

So far, the comics have dealt with Robert April and Gary Mitchell. April played a key role in Countdown to Darkness and has been featured in the post-movie After Darkness. I got a feeling he's not going to be a major factor in the new film. He comes across as too similar to Admiral Marcus.

And Gary Mitchell is too similar to Khan. I would've preferred both Mitchell and April instead of Khan and Marcus in Into Darkness.

I wonder if the comics aren't just going to be place to hash out the Klingon conflict, like they have been to give the audience alternate takes on Mitchell and April while moving on to a new story with new antagonists?

I wouldn't mind seeing the Gorn or Tholians as big bads. They both have Original Series cred but have been largely undeveloped on the live-action series. Plus today's FX could make them look really cool.

I thought it was a missed opportunity to not feature the Gorn in Into Darkness, instead of the Klingons. Perhaps the Star Trek video game that came out before the movie could've served as a prequel.

I feel like the Klingons have been slowly built up to be villains, if not for the next film, at least for something in the future. Especially with the line that a war between them is inevitable.

The first two films have featured Nero and Khan who each had one ship and limited supported. The only way to top that is to have the Klingon Empire up against the Federation. Plus it is an easier sell to the general audiences, they know of the Klingons.

It would be a waste not to use the Klingons after STID

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"