Star Trek Fans and Doctor Who

Isn't the TARDIS just camoflaged as a police box in order to blend in? At least that's what it was originally in the 60s when police boxes were common. But the cloaking mechanism got jammed so it's permanently stuck in that form. Of course, it won't blend in now because police boxes are rare these days but that was the explanation behind it.

Isn't the TARDIS just camoflaged as a police box in order to blend in? At least that's what it was originally in the 60s when police boxes were common. But the cloaking mechanism got jammed so it's permanently stuck in that form. Of course, it won't blend in now because police boxes are rare these days but that was the explanation behind it.

Yep, that's it.

Says the guy with the avatar of Locutus the Borg.....the people who fly around in space in a giant Rubic's cube.

There are lots of things in both series that are serious and cheesy.

C. Lee, always a pleasure!

The Borg ship is actually pretty cool IMO. I'd take the cube over the police box.

Anyways, there is something about the overall tone of Doctor Who that comes off as cheesy, and it always felt more childish than Star Trek.

I always did prefer the Cybermen over the Borg in presentation of absorbing everyone into a collective.

I always found the Cybermen to be rather boring. But hey, to each their own! From what I understand, the cybermen kidnap people by taking over their brains, and rebuild them as the Cybermen. They basically become slaves after that point, don't they?

Last edited:
The Cybermen don't look very metallic at all. Not unless they've improved their special effects. They really looked like men in rubber suits.

As a concept, the Cybermen are a little more scary than the Borg. They're both just an alien race that cruises around the universe and turns any humanoid they meet into one of their own through cybernetic parts, but the Borg still have human faces and we've seen several Borg become normal humans again.

Once you go Cyberman, say bye-byeberman. Any Cyberman who manages to fight its programming and reassert its old human identity either kills itself or just dies outright.

Similar catchphrases, though. "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." "Resistance is useless. You will be like us."

Anyways, there is something about the overall tone of Doctor Who that comes off as cheesy, and it always felt more childish than Star Trek.

Well that's because it basically is a children's show. At least the Classic series was. The new series is more aimed at something the entire family can enjoy together. But it is a show that doesn't take it self to seriously, and that's the charm of it.

As a concept, the Cybermen are a little more scary than the Borg. They're both just an alien race that cruises around the universe and turns any humanoid they meet into one of their own through cybernetic parts, but the Borg still have human faces and we've seen several Borg become normal humans again.

Once you go Cyberman, say bye-byeberman. Any Cyberman who manages to fight its programming and reassert its old human identity either kills itself or just dies outright.

Similar catchphrases, though. "Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated." "Resistance is useless. You will be like us."

Um....

Well that's because it basically is a children's show. At least the Classic series was. The new series is more aimed at something the entire family can enjoy together. But it is a show that doesn't take it self to seriously, and that's the charm of it.

I'll give it another shot.

What? The Cybermen of Doctor Who and the Borg of Star Trek have nearly identical catchphrases. And I'm pretty sure the Cybermen have had theirs for 20 years longer.

"Resistance is useless. You will be like us" doesn't sound nearly as cool as "We are the borg. Resistance is futile." Not even being biased here, but IMO its really lame. "You will be like us." I'm aware that it came out years prior to the borg, and clearly inspired it, but in comparison, it just isn't that amazing.

Last edited:
Keep in mind, Doctor Who used to be a kids show. I had to look up "assimilate" in the dictionary when I was a kid. Sure it added to my vocabulary, but I still only ever use the word when talking about the Borg.

Oh yeah, I totally acknowledge that. Just saying in the long run, I think that the Borg have the cooler slogan. "We are the borg. Resistance is futile."

One thing I really like about the Borg is that when you are assimilated, you are completely aware of what is going on, and you still have your emotions (remember when Picard was shedding a tear when he became locutus of Borg?). Yet, they are completely suppressed because there is nothing you can do to stop yourself from serving the collective.

The Cybermen and Borg should just fight it out on Deadliest Warrior.

Old Doctor Who rules. New Doctor Who (mostly) sucks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"